What team will move up from Mestis to replace Jokerit?

paul-laus

Jun 20, 2007
Sorry if this question has been asked to death. Is the SMligga going to move up a team from the Mestis to replace Jokerit when they go to the KHL? Any info is appreciated....

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
Why do you think that Vaasa Sport is the most likely?

There's a lot of reasons. Best fan base; highest attendance numbers; one of the wealthiest and most professional organizations; organization that generates most revenue; decent market area; best juniors.

Their fan base is quite wide and they probably have the best fan culture of all hockey clubs in Finland.

paul-laus

Jun 20, 2007
There's a lot of reasons. Best fan base; highest attendance numbers; one of the wealthiest and most professional organizations; organization that generates most revenue; decent market area; best juniors.

Their fan base is quite wide and they probably have the best fan culture of all hockey clubs in Finland.

Is it an absolute guarantee that a team is going to move up from the mestis? I would imagine that the SM ligga would want to keep its membership consistent right?

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Is it an absolute guarantee that a team is going to move up from the mestis? I would imagine that the SM ligga would want to keep its membership consistent right?

Yes, it was decided few months ago.

FinnSkillz28

Dec 9, 2013
Kouvola,Finland
What I've heard KooKoo is very close out there.They will made big investments like they are now limited company (OY),there will be shelters and new cabinets and the capacity will be about 6,800 and safety safetyrink is coming 2015.But you never know what's gonna happen..

Zeitung

Jan 16, 2013
No team should be "moved" to Sm-liiga. Mestis winner should be the one that takes Jokerit's place. Its sports, not bussiness.

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
I've heard some rumours that Sport actually bought themselves a sport in Liiga next season? :amazed:

Keke

Dec 6, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
What about the junior teams of Jokerit. Will they continue to play in U20, U18, U16 in Finland or will for example, U20 team move to MHL?

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
What about the junior teams of Jokerit. Will they continue to play in U20, U18, U16 in Finland or will for example, U20 team move to MHL?

Hasn't Jokerit left the whole national federation? My guess is that they'll play in the MHL

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Hasn't Jokerit left the whole national federation? My guess is that they'll play in the MHL

Wow.. My guess is they'll keep playing U20 liiga ect. Can't see them making juniors travel that much ect. They can just make new organisation for juniors.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

No. Jokerit juniors will remain as it is. Though there are rumors (confirmed by B-juniors coach Kari Haakana) that the A-juniors might not be allowed in their league. Now whether that would mean completely removing them or dropping them to a lower tier, is not known. Moving to MHL has never been an option due to practical reasons. A-juniors have 17-21 year old players who are in school or army. League schedules are often designed to facilitate those. Road games abroad would be too much on an inconvenience on both of those.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Which team has moved up from 3rd division to replace Vaasa Sport in the mestis?
None. There were 11 clubs in Mestis last year, now there are 10.

However, there was one new team because Jokipojat went bankrupt and was dropped down a level - KeuPa HT, the winner of Suomi-sarja, was brought up to replace them.

Also it's fully possible that in time they'll add more clubs to Mestis. A suitable one has to win Suomi-sarja first though.

PJM

Feb 18, 2006
There were 11 clubs in Mestis last year, now there are 10.

No, there were 12 teams in Mestis last season. Sport was promoted to SM-liiga, and Jokipojat relegated to Suomi-sarja due their bankruptcy. In addition HCK gave up their pleace in the league due to their financial problems. With KeuPa promoted to Mestis, this brings the current number of teams to 10, just like you wrote.

Funnily enough the original plan was to take the number of teams down from 12 to 11 and then next season to 10 by having the two last teams play the two best of Suomi-sarja and then the winners of those series to play each other for a single spot in Mestis. However this was cancelled just before the end of the regular season, and instead the winner of Suomi-sarja got a chance to apply for a place in Mestis to replace Sport. Then the financial issues, and all of the sudden we have a 10 team Mestis one year ahead of the original schedule. The next season? Who knows, but I predict the number of teams falls within the range of 8-14.

Rogie21

Sep 10, 2005
Can someone describe the quality of hockey in Mestis at the U20 level? Can a strong player on that level aspire to the NHL?

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Correct me if I'm wrong but would think that the only players in Mestis that could possibly play in the NHL one day are the 19 or 20 year olds that are loaned to these teams as juniors. For the most part, in Finland any player with the potential to play in the NHL that is not playing in North America, Sweden or the KHL is already in Liiga.

Can someone describe the quality of hockey in Mestis at the U20 level? Can a strong player on that level aspire to the NHL?

Last edited:

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu

Level of play is bad nowadays. Most of the teams are just icing group of U23 players who are not good enough for SM-Liiga and are too old for Juniors + mix of some veteran players.

This year only Tuto, Jukurit and Kookoo have slightly older/better teams.

There are few potential players playing every year. Kaapo Kähkönen, Sami Niku, Jonatan Tanus, Julius Nättinen, Veini Vehviläinen, Jimi Kuronen, Sami Tamminen and Niki Koskinen to name a few.

Also loaning players who are too good for juniors but not good enough for SM-Liiga is very common. Happened with Saku Mäenalanen and Mika Partanen last year.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Correct me if I'm wrong but would think that the only players in Mestis that could possibly play in Mestis one day are the 19 or 20 year olds that are loaned to these teams as juniors. For the most part, in Finland any player with the potential to play in the NHL that is not playing in North America, Sweden or the KHL is already in Liiga.

Finnish top Juniors rarely go to Sweden before NA stint.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
That was a typing mistake on my part. I was referring to the junior players that play in Mestis - such as the players mentioned in the post by JJTT.

Finnish top Juniors rarely go to Sweden before NA stint.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I have to ask - does this question refer to U20 -eligible players who play in Mestis (among men)? Or what's the level of Finnish U20 (or Junior.A as we call it) league system's tier 2?

If the former, yes, there is a chance you'll see a young Mestis player in the NHL some day. Of course, the top juniors should be in Liiga by then, but it's not unheard of. If you have a player in Jr.A tier 2 though... wouldn't count on it, unless we're talking about a serious late bloomer. Mestis itself is a far tougher place than even Jr.A's elite tier.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->