What team is a big surprise this year?

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
The Atlantic will only send three teams again.
You think? I don’t know.

The Metro division will have very few easy nights. Even the Rangers have a goalie that can steal games still.

If they play to potential the top 4 in the Atlantic should be able to bank a lot of points against the bottom 4. Should go a long way in the standings

Reactions: BerlinBlueShirt

SENSARMY18

Sep 26, 2018
The Leafs' defence is still crap. They will struggle. Shut down Tavares and Matthews, easily beat them cuz their D is crap. Andersen is again relied on - to stand on his head to win games. Same story in Leaf Land.... not sure that's a surprise but so many expect them to be so much better this year cuz of Tavares. Not gonna happen.

Hi Pucky, thanks for the post I definitely agree with you on this one. So much talk about some teams such as Montreal, Ottawa, Flames etc. etc..Having poor teams, but I really do think that the Leafs should be included. With all this hype they seem to have the most to lose here, where as a young fast team in Ottawa who no one really suspects could surprise a lot of people like Vegas did the year previous. I do think we come in as underdogs but it'll make it that much more interesting. Have a good one take care.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
The Leafs' defence is still crap. They will struggle. Shut down Tavares and Matthews, easily beat them cuz their D is crap. Andersen is again relied on - to stand on his head to win games. Same story in Leaf Land.... not sure that's a surprise but so many expect them to be so much better this year cuz of Tavares. Not gonna happen.
The only problem with this is that you need to beat Andersen to do it, and you're not shutting them down often.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
Hi Pucky, thanks for the post I definitely agree with you on this one. So much talk about some teams such as Montreal, Ottawa, Flames etc. etc..Having poor teams, but I really do think that the Leafs should be included. With all this hype they seem to have the most to lose here, where as a young fast team in Ottawa who no one really suspects could surprise a lot of people like Vegas did the year previous. I do think we come in as underdogs but it'll make it that much more interesting. Have a good one take care.
Thanks. I think it sucks that Sens fans have to deal with such an awful owner. But, that should be saved for another thread/topic, I guess? I think Leaf fans should feel the same way. The Leafs-Sens rivalry of years past was pretty good hockey. You had a mixed bag of everything in there and the games were really high tempo with physicality in there. It would be good if the predictions of the dysfunctional, crashing Sens was overblown. It also sucks when so many Canadian teams are struggling - it's better for the NHL if the Canadian teams are all powerhouses, even if fans of these teams don't like the other (rivals). It gets tiring watching only American teams compete for the Cup year after year on their own. Many on the southern side of the border don't appreciate it?

Intact

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga ON
Surprisingly bad favourites - San Jose and Washington, I think they're more like teams at the top of the middle of the pack
Surprisingly bad decent teams - Colorado and New Jersey, improvement isn't always linear, and I don't think Hall/Mackinnon play at the same level namely.

Surprisingly good - Blackhawks, easy pick for me. Saad, Crawford, Toews, and internal improvements for a way better year
Surprising top 3 or 5 team - this is hard. I think Flames, Panthers, Hurricanes, and Blues have the pieces, but who is going to have the randomly elite goaltending to prop them up into the top 3?

Atrusai

Oct 9, 2017
Habs make the playoffs. Sens make the playoffs. Habs AND Sens make the playoffs. Habs win the Cup. Sens win the Cup. Habs and Sens win the Cup by finding a 100-year-old loophole that allows two teams to merge at the deadline.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Habs make the playoffs. Sens make the playoffs. Habs AND Sens make the playoffs. Habs win the Cup. Sens win the Cup. Habs and Sens win the Cup by finding a 100-year-old loophole that allows two teams to merge at the deadline.
The crazy thing is that I still don't think that'd be sufficient.

Reactions: Atrusai

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
The crazy thing is that I still don't think that'd be sufficient.

The starting 6 dmen will still be the biggest weakness and bottom 5 in the league even after combining them. Mtl's D is bad and who would you add to it from Ottawa Ceci? Chabot- maybe if he is ready

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
It seems like damn near everybody has written off the Islanders, and I think that might be just a tad premature.
I can't see them making the playoffs. Hypothetically, IF Barzal can replace tavares' contribution (and that's a massive if), they're no better off all of those years when it was just the tavares show and they couldn't surround him with a good team.

To put it bluntly, the status quo is their BEST case scenario.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I can't see them making the playoffs. Hypothetically, IF Barzal can replace tavares' contribution (and that's a massive if), they're no better off all of those years when it was just the tavares show and they couldn't surround him with a good team.

To put it bluntly, the status quo is their BEST case scenario.
But if Trotz improves on the Doug Weight Doomsday Defense by allowing 40-50 fewer goals this season the team essentially made up for his production. Bringing in a black hole of total suck in Sbisa is not going to help though.

LABound

RFA
Sep 2, 2018
Carolina makes a big leap but just misses the Wild Card

Philadelphia is a Top 5-7 Offensive Team comfortably makes the playoffs.

And If Winnipeg doesn't sort out the 2C (Duchene ) they make the playoffs but do little damage .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->