What team is a big surprise this year?

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Off topic.

East: Florida,Tampa,Boston,Pittsburgh,Philadelphia,Carolina,New Jersey,Columbus.
West: Vegas, Nashville,San Jose,Chicago,Winnipeg,Colorado,Dallas,Arizona

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
People saying Vancouver should realize they started the season 6-3-1 in each of the last two years despite being the worst team in the nhl in the last three years combined. I say this so if Vancouver gets off to there winning October ways just to keep that in mind.

While having some of the best prospects Vancouver sorely lacks a goalie and demko has looked rather awful in camp. Though that can turn around, camp isn’t everything. I just think they’re a team of the next couple years sort of like my sabres (goaltending maybe being the reason here too) as well as defense.

That defense won’t be able to cut it especially considering they are hurt more then they are healthy.

I know canucks fans ripped the Sedins a lot for turning the puck over and being slow and “taking the kids ice time away” but it’s only natural for there to be at least one year of transition. They’re not just going to be able to lose them then make the playoffs the very next year as good as pettersen and boeser may be. (to an outsider you might think rip the sedins what!?) but trust me it happened....a lot.

It would be absolutely Colorado levels of shocking if they do, it would hands down be the worst goaltending defense tandem to ever make the playoffs in years.

I should probably predict someone because it’s easy for me to bash but not say, so I’ll just say I think the devils and avalanche both go back to missing.

I think the rangers won’t be as bad as everyone thinks. Don’t know about playoffs.

I guess if I had to pick one no one is saying....Detroit.

Either a really good team on paper completely failing, or a terrible team on paper making the playoffs. Fair to say Vegas was terrible on paper and then went to the cup final.

My vote is Vancouver. I think they compete for a playoff spot. I could see Arizona surprising the league as well. Eastern conference harder to say as I don't see the teams as much.

Only thing is, if this happens, who are going to be the three or for pacific teams to miss the playoffs?

Last edited:

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Canes are going to do more than just make the playoffs

Goaltending, centres?

Only weakness There d and wingers are almost elite.

If they do make the playoffs they will probably go to the east or cup finals because that’s how Carolina rolls.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Goaltending, centres?

Only weakness There d and wingers are almost elite.

If they do make the playoffs they will probably go to the east or cup finals because that’s how Carolina rolls.
I can definitely see that team in the ECF, especially if their young guys are as/better than advertised and Darling bounces back (I think he can).

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
Stanley Cup: Jets, Tampa, Sharks, Boston
Dark Horse: Florida, Carolina, Kings
Regress: Vegas, Anaheim
My team: Fistfight for a Wildcard. Hell the Central´s gonna be a bloodbath again.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I definitely wouldn't say that 'Yotes have bottom-2 offence. This forward group has some serious potential and we have depth for the first time like ever. Maybe bottom-10 offence, but definitely not bottom-2

Didn't say that they were the two weakest groups, just that they were among them. I see maybe 3 players that are probable to eclipse 50 pts. Stepan, Galchenyuk, and Keller. After that the depth isn't bad but not exactly good either. If Raanta is healthy I could see them having a good year but still falling just short of the playoffs.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I'm saying the Islanders can take one of NJ, PHI spot in the playoffs.
I don't think many negative surprises in the East, probably Buffalo still struggling at the very bottom?
I think Montreal will screw the rebuild and start the season really strong before crumbling to pieces and piss everyone again

In the West I think Colorado misses the playoffs in favor of Dallas, Vegas will regress but still make the playoffs comfortably (why do people think they'll either completely crash or completely dominate again???) and Emonton might finally take some step forward...

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
I don't think it's much of a surprise, but many others would. But the Sharks are gonna be about as good if not better than the 1983-84 Oilers.

Reactions: Wewillrise

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015
I don't think it's much of a surprise, but many others would. But the Sharks are gonna be about as good if not better than the 1983-84 Oilers.
You think SJ will be better than the team that was just voted to be the best of all time?

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I think Arizona, Calgary, Edmonton, Florida, and Carolina all could push for a playoff spot. With Trotz coaching, I wouldn't be too shocked to see the NYI push for a spot either.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I'm saying the Islanders can take one of NJ, PHI spot in the playoffs.
I don't think many negative surprises in the East, probably Buffalo still struggling at the very bottom?
I think Montreal will screw the rebuild and start the season really strong before crumbling to pieces and piss everyone again

In the West I think Colorado misses the playoffs in favor of Dallas, Vegas will regress but still make the playoffs comfortably (why do people think they'll either completely crash or completely dominate again???) and Emonton might finally take some step forward...
Because people love their preconceived notions and ignore the strength of Gallant's coaching, the chemistry of the top line, the team speed and conditioning, and the fact that the roster is still pretty young, all things considered.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

did I stutter?
161.gif

Yeah cause Big Joe, Pavs, Couture, and Kane are on the same level as Gretzky, Messier, Anderson, and Kurri. At best you've got a wash or slight improvement with Karlsson/Coffey.
Like I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if SJ won it all but that roster is a far cry from the greatest team ever iced.

Last edited:

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
LA.... they're going to be better than projected.

Actually you know what... I'm going to make a very bold prediction. Tampa Bay is going to squeak in with a wild card spot with under 100 points with 1 week to go in the season and lose in the first round.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->