What team is a big surprise this year?

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
I think the Caps will disappoint. They got hot at the right time last season, they’ll struggle for stretches this season, possible wildcard team

Vegas will regress, how much depends on how much their division really improves. A good team can still look great in a shit division, even if they’re not a top team in the standings anymore.

hilarnat

Jun 17, 2017
I don't like big surprises. They often lead to a bad reading of the team's progression and shortcuts like CAL '04.

I think

PHI will do better than expected
FLA will show up to expectations

STL will live up to expectations
VAN will show flashes of what's to be expected in a few years

Reactions: valeriammm

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I'm biased, but I think the Avs compete in the top 3 in the central this year. They have a much stronger goalie situation, and have solidified their D. Lots of young guys looking to build on last year.

Then again the central is an arms race. One can hope.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
it pains me to say it because i am hoping for one more year of a tank, but Habs may surprise. Price is going to bounce back with a ridiculous year and the team has been completely rebuilt on speed, to go along with being one of the youngest in the league. I think they will compensate for lack of quality C with having depth on the wings throughout the lineup. hope I'm wrong. lol. would rather finish 28th one more year than finish 5 pts out of a playoff spot

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
Vegas for sure......

.......but because they will roll over the league again.

People want them to be bad to justify their teams lack of success. "What a fluke, they all got drunk the night before, they wont keep it up".

All those lame ass excuses will be used again this year when they are a top 3 team.

It will be fun to watch!!

Reactions: HanSolo

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
The yearly 'watch out for the Canes this year' bump.
Although this year, I do think they'll maybe make some noise. Depends on how the offence comes together.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Agree with Arizona. They will vie for a playoff spot this year.

Also agree that Vegas takes a big step back, missing the playoffs.

I don't see Vancouver doing much this year. Sure they have the best forward prospect in the world but they still have only 4 (even?) true top 6ers and their defence is abysmal.

Also, the Stars will be burning villages again.

wahsnairb

Jun 9, 2010
Not sure if it would be a surprise but I think Chicago will bounce back and get back into the playoffs this year.

Came in to post this.

Everyone seems to think they will for sure finish last in the Central and be terrible and I just don’t see it with Ward filling in if/when Crawford can’t go.

They were still solid last year before Crawford was out.

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
Are people taking crazy pills?

The Vancouver Canucks are a complete disaster of a team. Bottom 3 goaltending, bottom 3 defence, lazy slow highly paid vet forwards that have already packed it in. They’ve got a few young forwards worth watching. They have no depth at all, a bunch of injury prone players like Tanev and Edler, and they employ Erik Gudbranson.

Bottom 5 team at best.

Oilers may shock people and have a solid playoff bound season. Ducks may show signs of age and have a rough year.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Just don't see it with Arizona and Vancouver. Two of the weakest forward groups in the NHL. Give Zona the sizable edge on the blueline and in net. Van is going to suck and suck bad. Still not convinced that Carolina will be a ton better either though I think they might have a shot at the wildcard if Columbus and Jersey aren't as good and Svechnikov can put up 30+.

For positives I like Florida, Philly, and Dallas to take some sizable steps forward. Habs might be better than people are giving them credit for, but the Weber injury could put them in a hole. Don't think the Golden Knights repeat as division winners but I still see them being a strong probable playoff team, they are so well coached. For negatives I could see the Jets, Avs, and Ducks struggling with consistency.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013

The Vancouver Canucks are a complete disaster of a team. Bottom 3 goaltending, bottom 3 defence, lazy slow highly paid vet forwards that have already packed it in. They’ve got a few young forwards worth watching. They have no depth at all, a bunch of injury prone players like Tanev and Edler, and they employ Erik Gudbranson.

Bottom 5 team at best.

Oilers may shock people and have a solid playoff bound season. Ducks may show signs of age and have a rough year.

After Iginla left the Flames they were in the same position. Having all expectations removed and new faces leading the team can lead to surprises. Look at what zero expectations did for Vegas. I think Vancouver ultimately misses playoffs but it's close.

FinnishCoyote

Jan 3, 2017
Just don't see it with Arizona and Vancouver. Two of the weakest forward groups in the NHL. Give Zona the sizable edge on the blueline and in net. Van is going to suck and suck bad. Still not convinced that Carolina will be a ton better either though I think they might have a shot at the wildcard if Columbus and Jersey aren't as good and Svechnikov can put up 30+.

For positives I like Florida, Philly, and Dallas to take some sizable steps forward. Habs might be better than people are giving them credit for, but the Weber injury could put them in a hole. Don't think the Golden Knights repeat as division winners but I still see them being a strong probable playoff team, they are so well coached. For negatives I could see the Jets, Avs, and Ducks struggling with consistency.

I definitely wouldn't say that 'Yotes have bottom-2 offence. This forward group has some serious potential and we have depth for the first time like ever. Maybe bottom-10 offence, but definitely not bottom-2

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
Carolina, definitely. I don't think they'll win a cup, but they might reach conference finals with a magical performance. And second round is more realistic.

And of course Toronto, if Frederik Andersen can still keep up with the skaters. They have a shot at the cup, even.

I think the Jets will be a big surprise disappointment this season. Just a vibe I'm getting.

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
After Iginla left the Flames they were in the same position. Having all expectations removed and new faces leading the team can lead to surprises. Look at what zero expectations did for Vegas. I think Vancouver ultimately misses playoffs but it's close.

Calgary had some good players though, especially their top 4 d-men. Canucks will be out of it by the all star break. Markstrom is terrible.

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
Vegas will win the division again, Kings and sharks are a bit of a wild card. Edmonton should make the playoffs, Vancouver will be much better. Ducks coyotes and flames all go sideways.

NeutralOrange

Vegas will have another stellar season

Edmonton will flounder again and miss the playoffs

San Jose wins the President's Trophy but gets bounced early in the playoffs

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
The West is going to be crazy this year, possibly even close to a 100 points to get in. for me only Vancouver, Chicago and Anaheim are in trouble.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

Bottom 5 team at best.

Yea, I agree. None of the young guys are even making a push for the team this preseason other than Pettersson. It's just a really, really bad team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad