What team is a big surprise this year?

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Either a really good team on paper completely failing, or a terrible team on paper making the playoffs. Fair to say Vegas was terrible on paper and then went to the cup final.

My vote is Vancouver. I think they compete for a playoff spot. I could see Arizona surprising the league as well. Eastern conference harder to say as I don't see the teams as much.

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
I have a "good" feeling about the Nucks as well. With that roster I think they'd do well to go full offense and it could result in an entertaining, 14/15 Flames type of a season. A lot of things need to go just right though, especially Petterson figuring out the NHL game immediately.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Carolina is an decent goalie away from making some noise IMO.

Maybe Mrazek will help them break through this year? If I'm the Hurricanes, I'm looking to grab a keeper off the waiver wire like Hutchinson or Sparks if they become available as well. Only reason they didn't make it in last year.

Koivu11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Not sure if it would be a surprise but I think Chicago will bounce back and get back into the playoffs this year.

Reactions: cobra427

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I think St Louis puts the rest of their division in the dust this year.

Philadelphia is another team I could see taking a big step forward and surprising a lot of people in the East.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
The West is wide open, especially the Pacific. In the East there's just very little room, so even if a team like Buffalo is greatly improved, a playoff spot is unlikely. I think Philadelphia, Columbus, Pittsburgh, and Washington in the Metro, as well as the big 3 in the Atlantic are not going to be caught.

I'll say Arizona.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Carolina Hurricanes

They just have to get average goaltending one of these years and when they do, they're a playoff team.

Also I think Svechnikov should have more hype.

Also like Arizona to take a big step forward this season.

Reactions: AD Skinner

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Agree that Arizona will be a lot better this season.

I don't think the Habs will make the playoffs but they won't be as bad as many expect either.

Reactions: Intact

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
It seems like damn near everybody has written off the Islanders, and I think that might be just a tad premature.
i could see them miss the playoffs by a few points, with young players improving and taking bigger roles. For sure not a bottom feeder.

Saitama

Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
Rangers might not make the playoffs but they won't be far off. The reason I know this is that now that they are rebuilding, they're going to be just good enough to not get anywhere near the top 3 picks.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
I think Buffalo will surprise and be in the playoff discussion, though I don't expect them to make it. I think SJ falls short of expectations but still make the playoffs with ease. I also think Columbus might take a step back if Panarin becomes too much of a distraction.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad