What tape job(s) do you use?

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
Strip along the bottom. Heel to toe basically all the way. Pat it down with the puck. Light wax. Twirl the tape to make a ropeish kind of thing and wrap around a few times for the butt, continue down for the grip and tape over it on the way back up.

Reactions: Spearmint Rhino

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Blade: pretty standard Heel to toe (with the toe covered), black tape, no wax

Grip: 1/2 tape thickness knob 10 times around the top, down the shaft about 8 inches with the full thickness of the white tape, no grip tape

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I used to tape the entire blade from heel t0 toe, then cut off the tape from the bottom of the blade. Now I don't use any tape at all and just take light grade sandpaper to the blade.

Grip: Wrap around the end 10-12 times, then once more around the bottom of the tape to keep it from separating.

roflstomper

Barzal/Connor/Konecny
Sep 28, 2010
Rhode Island
Inline/ball hockey so no tape on blade at all for me. Little bit at top of shaft, going from one wrap around to 2 then 3 or so then back down to 2 and 1. Creates a weird parabolic for the hand to go around and grip better than a square of the stick.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
For Ice, I prefer heel to Toe with the toe taped. For Inline, Half-Toe - Tape the toe, and then tape halfway from the blade to to toe. I never used the stripe method although a lot of people do that.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Lizard skin grip on the shaft & just the toe on the blade

What are you thoughts on the Lizard skin grip? I've been using it for about a year and a half and while there are things I really like about it, I'm still on the fence whether to continue using it. (Ironically got a fresh roll in my sock for Xmas)

I really like it's consistency from the start of the game to the end. Unlike regular cloth tape that absorbs the sweat and gets greasier as the game moves along, the Lizard skin stays consistent feel, and you can wipe it off with a towel as well. I'm also really impressed with the lack of wear on my glove palms, I have a pair of gloves with pro nash palms I've used roughly a 100 games now that have never touched cloth tape, only the lizard skin grip, and the lack of wear is impressive.

But the stuff ain't cheap, and it's durability is my main concern. When I first started using it, I just wrapped it over the stick the way I wanted it with the base layer being the stick itself. But after about 15 skates or so, the tape would pull and stretch and kinda unravel the grip. After going through 3-4 rolls of L-skin grip, I realized the adhesive had nothing to really bond to, as the stick shaft isn't porous. So my next time I put on a base layer of cloth athletic tape first and then the L-skin grip over that. Seemed to work better but only slightly, I got maybe an extra 5-7 games before it began to pull and unravel.

I like the product but feel like they need to improve the quality of the adhesive glue to bring the durability up to the level that justifies the price point.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
What are you thoughts on the Lizard skin grip? I've been using it for about a year and a half and while there are things I really like about it, I'm still on the fence whether to continue using it. (Ironically got a fresh roll in my sock for Xmas)

I really like it's consistency from the start of the game to the end. Unlike regular cloth tape that absorbs the sweat and gets greasier as the game moves along, the Lizard skin stays consistent feel, and you can wipe it off with a towel as well. I'm also really impressed with the lack of wear on my glove palms, I have a pair of gloves with pro nash palms I've used roughly a 100 games now that have never touched cloth tape, only the lizard skin grip, and the lack of wear is impressive.

But the stuff ain't cheap, and it's durability is my main concern. When I first started using it, I just wrapped it over the stick the way I wanted it with the base layer being the stick itself. But after about 15 skates or so, the tape would pull and stretch and kinda unravel the grip. After going through 3-4 rolls of L-skin grip, I realized the adhesive had nothing to really bond to, as the stick shaft isn't porous. So my next time I put on a base layer of cloth athletic tape first and then the L-skin grip over that. Seemed to work better but only slightly, I got maybe an extra 5-7 games before it began to pull and unravel.

I like the product but feel like they need to improve the quality of the adhesive glue to bring the durability up to the level that justifies the price point.
I love them! this is my 2nd season using them and I think they've stopped any signs of wear whatsoever from showing up in the palms of my gloves. The durability seems very good too, I buy a new stick every season so my stick from last year is my backup and the lizard skin on it is still going strong. Back when I used hockey tape it would get all gross after just a handful of games. The main thing I love about Lizard Skins is how they feel a little "squishy" if that makes sense lol, it feels so nice in hand and doesn't get sore after a while, I feel like I can get more torque in my shots because of it, and receiving passes is so much easier since it sorta nullifies the vibration when receiving hard passes. Did you remember to put the electrical tape at the end of it before covering it with the thing where you put your #? That could cause it to unravel if you didn't. I don't put any base layer other than that and mine hasn't unravelled at all

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I love them! this is my 2nd season using them and I think they've stopped any signs of wear whatsoever from showing up in the palms of my gloves. The durability seems very good too, I buy a new stick every season so my stick from last year is my backup and the lizard skin on it is still going strong. Back when I used hockey tape it would get all gross after just a handful of games. The main thing I love about Lizard Skins is how they feel a little "squishy" if that makes sense lol, it feels so nice in hand and doesn't get sore after a while, I feel like I can get more torque in my shots because of it, and receiving passes is so much easier since it sorta nullifies the vibration when receiving hard passes. Did you remember to put the electrical tape at the end of it before covering it with the thing where you put your #? That could cause it to unravel if you didn't. I don't put any base layer other than that and mine hasn't unravelled at all

Unravel was probably the wrong term (I do seal up the end with electrical tape). More like it stretches and becomes displaced from me gripping the stick. Mostly happens on the second and third loops from the top. I should note I don't use a knob on the end of the stick.

Just ditched another one after less than 3 months of use. I think my next alternative to improve the value is to cut the tape in half and try to get two uses out of each package of tape.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

Damn Pastrnak definitely does have the oddest one I've seen yet.

tape-job-pastrnak.png

Reactions: Devil Dancer

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Just wanna say I definitely prefer black tape to white.. just feel like it hides the puck a lot better. Considering most NHLers seem to use white I'm not sure it makes a difference, but to me it always seemed an advantage. Heel to toe for extra friction on puck, one stripe on shaft for slappers, small butt end cause I just never had a problem with my hand sliding off and don't want the weight.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Strip along the bottom. Heel to toe basically all the way. Pat it down with the puck. Light wax. Twirl the tape to make a ropeish kind of thing and wrap around a few times for the butt, continue down for the grip and tape over it on the way back up.
^this

Never used to tape the full toe, but now that I moved to a round P28/P14 toe I do. ODR in Canada I don't wax. Indoor, especially in Europe I use Sex Wax.

JustJokinenAround

just a goofball
Feb 5, 2018
a local rink
blade usually i got an inch from the heel with thick black or white and howies wax. sometimes i use the panarin for fun. its lighter and it looks good but i'm not good enough for it to actually matter.

knob i do a thin roll of white ripped in 1/4 and go around 9 times and then pastrnak's knob.

the savvy videos are the best, i love looking at different tape jobs. marner does an ugly middle of the blade tape job now instead of the full sock half waxed.

JustJokinenAround

just a goofball
Feb 5, 2018
a local rink
is the "squishy" feel a little like grip tape? i've thought about getting it to stop the wear and tear on the gloves but i like the slim feel on the knob as opposed to a thicker feel like grip tape gives you.

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
strip of tape covering the toe and stick blade.
Heel to toe, barely overlapping the tape. Smooth down, no wax.

small knob, twisted tape on top, going down 3 rows or so.

Captain Charisma

Jan 18, 2019
For the knob:

Thin roll tape 15 loops around the top. I hug my pinky finger around this.
Wide roll tape 5 loops just below. I hug my ring and middle finger around this.
Wide roll tape 1 loop just below. I hug my index and thumb around this.
Cover the entire thing in hockey grip tape and I'm set.

For the blade: Nothing special. Heel to toe. I try to get as close to the toe as possible without actually covering it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad