What tape job(s) do you use?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
When I play roller, I use the tape job Fiala used to use. That one strip at the bottom. Don't like a lot of tape on tile, slows your stick down with too much friction. When I play ice, I like a little more friction and use the Heatley/Benn tapejob. Always go heel to toe and rub it down with the puck after like Kane does.

467499806.0.jpg

0614_JamieTape.jpg

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Heel to toe, but I don't bother with the puck or wax or anything.

At this point in my life I don't feel I get that much of any kind of advantage by doing anything special to my stick.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
I use blade tape, and cover the exposed areas on the blade with regular hockey tape. I then run strips of hockey tape up the shaft to protect the slash zone and wax the hockey tape. I find it extends the life of the stick by quite a lot. I've broken one stick in the last five years, and that was because someone literally jumped on top of it.

mfpWvi4.jpg

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Pretty basic, white tape starting at the heel and going to about 1.5-2 inches away from the toe. Rubbed down with a puck and wax applied all over.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Strip at the bottom, heel to toe starting from about 1.5" from where the lie ends with about half of an overlap with the blade face flush and the 45 not he back side of the blade with wax.

Rookie109

Mar 31, 2014
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I use blade tape, and cover the exposed areas on the blade with regular hockey tape. I then run strips of hockey tape up the shaft to protect the slash zone and wax the hockey tape. I find it extends the life of the stick by quite a lot. I've broken one stick in the last five years, and that was because someone literally jumped on top of it.

mfpWvi4.jpg

Hahaha, I think you copied my exact method without knowing it.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/i22TmLWSajZy4V9o1

This was on my last stick, I now use the CCM Trigger but tape it the same way, I use all black tape usually and trim with an exacto knife on the blade. It seems to extend the life of the stick a bit, especially if you play centre with face offs or play D blocking / deflecting shots.

Reactions: puckpilot

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
I’m curious how you think some cloth tape extends the life of the stick? A good slash won’t be stopped by a bit of cloth tape. The fact that you haven’t broken a stick in so long is probably due more to your style of play and those you play against than any tape. I haven’t broken a stick in about ten years, though I have changed sticks due to changing preferences and blade wear and tear.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
I’m curious how you think some cloth tape extends the life of the stick? A good slash won’t be stopped by a bit of cloth tape. The fact that you haven’t broken a stick in so long is probably due more to your style of play and those you play against than any tape. I haven’t broken a stick in about ten years, though I have changed sticks due to changing preferences and blade wear and tear.

For me, it stops the edge of the blade from chipping and wearing down, which extends the life of the blade. And in terms of the shaft, it reduces the surface chipping significantly. The tape may get slashed to hell, but when I remove it, the stick doesn't have a mark on it. If there aren't any chips, then no moisture can get at the internals and speed up the break down of the composite.

In terms of what kind hacking and slashing my sticks go through, I play center and I carry the puck a lot. I get hacked and slashed during face-offs and all the way up and down the ice when I carry the puck. Also, I've been in a my fair share of exchanging stick slashes when tempers get hot. I'm not saying I treat my sticks any rougher than most, but I'd say my sticks go through the typical stresses associated with playing in league games.

Hahaha, I think you copied my exact method without knowing it.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/i22TmLWSajZy4V9o1

This was on my last stick, I now use the CCM Trigger but tape it the same way, I use all black tape usually and trim with an exacto knife on the blade. It seems to extend the life of the stick a bit, especially if you play centre with face offs or play D blocking / deflecting shots.

Great minds think alike. Hahah. To make things weirder, I'm using a Trigger right now, too. One thing I don't do is trim with an exacto. I usually split the hockey tape lengthwise, but that can be inconsistent, because I'm eyeballing it. How do you prevent yourself from scratching the blade when you trim with an exacto?

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
Having a coat of paint chipped off does not cause the composite material to break down faster. Many composite materials are put in weather daily without paint coating them.

The tape on the blade may help chipping, but the tape on the shaft does not help the stick from breaking, unless you are using something much stronger than typical stick tape.

Rookie109

Mar 31, 2014
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Having a coat of paint chipped off does not cause the composite material to break down faster. Many composite materials are put in weather daily without paint coating them.

The tape on the blade may help chipping, but the tape on the shaft does not help the stick from breaking, unless you are using something much stronger than typical stick tape.

It does make a difference, we are not alone in this idea. I go through a new stick about every 8-12 months on average; I play year-round and play 2-3 times a week. It's not going to stop every break, but it will help a bit. I play centre and D, so my stick gets beaten to death, I also take lots of slapshots which is usually when it breaks lol.

I tape the bottom 2 layers, the toe 3 layers, the rest just one. As for the exacto knife business, I go slow and precise. It will leave a scratch maybe, but it's covered with tape and makes no difference from what I can see. My sticks always break on the shaft, usually a slapshot from the point.

To each his own I guess.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016

It's not just paint. It's also the resin that helps hold everything together. That tiny chip/crack can spread and connect up to with other chips/cracks, growing the damage.

As for moisture, I saw a video of a stick rep talking about the effects of moisture getting into a stick. I can't find that video, but here's a wiki entry talking about carbon fiber reinforced polymer and second supporting link.

Carbon fiber reinforced polymer - Wikipedia
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0010436183900058

The TL;DR take away from it is this.

While CFRPs demonstrate excellent corrosion resistance, the effect of moisture at wide ranges of temperatures can lead to degradation of the mechanical properties of CFRPs, particularly at the matrix-fiber interface.[5] While the carbon fibers themselves are not affected by the moisture diffusing into the material, the moisture plasticizes the polymer matrix.

Ummm... Where are you getting that taping stops a stick from breaking? No one ever said it stops the stick from breaking. All I've ever said was it extends the life of the stick by slowing down the wear, specifically the chipping, and everything that can come out of having those chips.

Are you sure I'm saying what you think I'm saying?

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
The resin is impregnated in the composites. Chipping the paint on top (yes, that’s what it is) does nothing to the composites. If a chip is spreading cracks to other cracks than tape isn’t going to help because their is already other issues with the stick and tape isn’t going to help.

Actually I said “help the stick from breaking” not “stops a stick from breaking,” but thanks for making things up.

Interestingly, the two pictures in the OP back up what I am saying, as well as the fact that very few players at higher levels tape the shafts of their sticks.

If you really think that stopping chipped paint makes your stick last longer, than more power to you. I’ve got some ocean front property in Arizona you might like as well.

Rookie109- You're arguing something I didn’t argue. I even said that blade tape may help with chipping. The best part about the video is how he talks about the chips being superficial paint.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
The resin is impregnated in the composites. Chipping the paint on top (yes, that’s what it is) does nothing to the composites. If a chip is spreading cracks to other cracks than tape isn’t going to help because their is already other issues with the stick and tape isn’t going to help.

Dude, just read what moister does to CRFP. The tape helps prevent the chips that expose the internals. The longer someone can keep those chips from happening, the longer the stick will last.

Actually I said “help the stick from breaking” not “stops a stick from breaking,” but thanks for making things up.

I wasn't making things up. I was just giving you the benefit of the doubt that you were saying something that actually made sense, because "help the stick from breaking" doesn't mean anything. It's an nonsensical phrase. Which kind of explains a lot. And from the context in which things are phased, the only way it would make sense is if instead of the word help, it was stop or prevent. But my mistake for giving you too much credit.

Interestingly, the two pictures in the OP back up what I am saying, as well as the fact that very few players at higher levels tape the shafts of their sticks.

So? Players at the higher level don't do a lot of things, like pay for their own equipment. Also by your own admission, some players at the higher levels do tape there shafts. Regardless, this is a meaningless tangent that proves nothing one way or the other.

If you really think that stopping chipped paint makes your stick last longer, than more power to you. I’ve got some ocean front property in Arizona you might like as well.

I'll buy that property the day "help the stick from breaking" actually becomes something meaningful in English.

Last edited:

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
It’s cute how you attack me. That’s a sure sign that you have no real argument.

Feel free to keep wasting tape on your placebo fix.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
It’s cute how you attack me. That’s a sure sign that you have no real argument.

Feel free to keep wasting tape on your placebo fix.

It's even more cute how you ignore the facts presented to you. I provided proof that moisture degrades carbon composites, and you just ignore it.

Why the hell did you even ask if you're just going to ignore all proof provided because it doesn't fit with your view of things? Do you just do this so you can start an argument?

:dunno:

I pity you. Sad, just sad.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
It's even more cute how you ignore the facts presented to you. I provided proof that moisture degrades carbon composites, and you just ignore it.

Why the hell did you even ask if you're just going to ignore all proof provided because it doesn't fit with your view of things? Do you just do this so you can start an argument?

:dunno:

I pity you. Sad, just sad.
No, what’s sad is that you clearly didn’t read it as it does not prove that composite sticks won’t last as long if the paint gets chipped.

Once again all you’re doing is attacking me because I know taping the shaft is a placebo.

Pity me all you want, but I’m not wasting money on extra tape and am still having very little stick breakage.

Run along, junior.

Rookie109

Mar 31, 2014
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Ah listening to the boys argue over stick life. Gone are the days of snapping a stick in pure frustration i suppose

Lol, "This is why we can't have nice things" applies here lol. Sticks are too expensive to do that, even after a 60% discount, my CCM Trigger was $120 after tax. I'll never buy a high end stick at full retail, $320 plus tax... No thank you.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
No, what’s sad is that you clearly didn’t read it as it does not prove that composite sticks won’t last as long if the paint gets chipped.

See, I never said that "sticks won't last long if the paint gets chipped." I said if there aren't any chips in the stick, then no moisture can get at the internals and speed up the break down of the composite. There's a difference.

Man I haven't seen someone deflect this much since Nieuwendyk left the league.

Once again all you’re doing is attacking me because I know taping the shaft is a placebo.

Way to play the victim. Snark begets snark, so drop the fake halo. 'Cause nobody is buying.

Pity me all you want, but I’m not wasting money on extra tape and am still having very little stick breakage.

Run along, junior.

It's a fee country man. Do what ever you want.

For me, I think I'll stick around. You see, I just made a big pot of Black Friday chili. It's not that good, so there are lots of trips to the old crapper. And as I try to put out the ring of fire burning it's way around my nether regions over-and-over, I got nothing to do but spank monkeys, get into internet arguments, and pretend I'm sitting under a bridge.

Care to stick around, too? Plenty of chili to go around, and the flames under the rump reminds one of a good old road trip into the flaming abyss itself. It'll be fun.

Last edited:

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
Lol, "This is why we can't have nice things" applies here lol. Sticks are too expensive to do that, even after a 60% discount, my CCM Trigger was $120 after tax. I'll never buy a high end stick at full retail, $320 plus tax... No thank you.
Yep, I find closeouts. I’ve actually started using intermediate models after reading that Gaudreau uses a 55 flex. I use a 65, love the way it flexes for me and it costs a lot less! I haven’t broken a single one, even though I work the boards, take face offs and shoot a lot of one-timers...and I don’t even tape the shaft!:laugh:

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Yep, I find closeouts. I’ve actually started using intermediate models after reading that Gaudreau uses a 55 flex. I use a 65, love the way it flexes for me and it costs a lot less! I haven’t broken a single one, even though I work the boards, take face offs and shoot a lot of one-timers...and I don’t even tape the shaft!:laugh:
Cmon we know you candy cane it like Kessel :rolleyes:

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
Cmon we know you candy cane it like Kessel :rolleyes:
Now the gloves are off, punk!

I’ve never done that, but I used to tape about six inches down from the top but stopped doing it because I got sick of my left glove wearing out faster than my right, so I just tape a small knob at the top and tape the blade.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
I guess ive had luck then. I dont think ive spent anymore then $70 on a stick and im in the dirty areas and always a target for the other team, while being a center to boot. Currently running a warrior bentley and a sherwood whatever model...its green.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Now the gloves are off, punk!

I’ve never done that, but I used to tape about six inches down from the top but stopped doing it because I got sick of my left glove wearing out faster than my right, so I just tape a small knob at the top and tape the blade.
Youd have to have palms in your gloves to begin with(i have no palms). Cmon foil up!

But in all seriousness to this thread, i use cheap clear tape and spin a rope of about 2 feet. Make a knob and about 3 inches of crossed grip. Cover that with with white obviously. The blade i tape the toe first, then tape from heel to toe in white.

In all honesty nothing makes a difference. Im 35 and played since i was 3. Black tape, white tape, wax, no wax...its all an illusion of your play. To credit a tape job to a hat trick is silly

Reactions: ChuckLefley

ek93

Dec 28, 2014
New York
Heel to toe, cover the toe, then some wax.

Tried the "Ovi" tape job a couple weeks back. Half the blade starting in the middle, covering the toe. Played the best game of my life with it. I'm very superstitious so I thought about using it more, but I noticed some wear on the bottom of the blade on the exposed heel from rubbing against the ice after just one use so I don't think I'll do it again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad