What Stupid Or Unreasonable Thing Do You Want To See In Hockey/NHL?

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
You don't think diversity helps grow the game? Can you imagine if the sport became popular in China like Baseball is in Japan, you don't think it would help it grow?

Why would the NBA, FIFA and Bettman waste their time trying to penetrate the Chinese market if that wasn't the case? lol. Why not follow your logic and go back to the times when the NHL was strictly North American players.

This is a valid point. More diversity = more people playing. More people playing = bigger talent pool. Not to mention more money being spent and invested in the sport. Which all leads to more entertainment for us fans.

dude. We are trying and always have been for decades. Sometimes some people don't like something. And you can't force them to your side

8816 others

Dec 3, 2012
Bowen Island, BC
Maybe diversity isn’t a bad idea when you look at how quickly the MLS is growing with players from +60 countries.
Soccer is relatively affordable and easily accessible around the world. How many of those +60 countries have the money and resources to maintain ice or families who can afford equipment. Many families in North America can't even afford to have their kids in hockey. I would love it if the sport was accessible world-wide, or for the NHL to be open to women if they were able to play at that level.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
I have a few ideas:

1) Have a one game playoff per conference between the 8th seed and a team comprised of the best 20 players from all the non-playoff teams... not exactly an all-star team, but more of a semi-star team. If the semi-star team wins, hold a random draw so that one of the non-playoff teams replaces the 8th seed. Gary Bettman then has to wash and detail the car of each player selected to the semi-star team but who isn't on the replacement 8th seed team.

2) Both Stanley Cup finalists are given the option the following season of, if they miss the playoffs, challenging any of the 8 playoff teams to a one game, winner-takes-the-seed game.

3) The Stanley Cup winner is given the option of getting the best odds of winning the next lottery draft and taking a $5M cap hit for the next 5 years, or sucking it up and taking the last position in every round of the draft.

I recognize that these suggestions may be at cross purposes.

Last edited:

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Actually that reminds me, teams shouldn't be allowed to ice the puck on penalty kills.

Honestly, I'm not sure that would actually reduce icing on the PK.

Now, I'm assuming you're talking about making the punishment for icing while on the PK the same as while at even strength... namely, automatic faceoff in the defensive zone with no line changes permitted.

If you meant making the punishment more severe than the one for even strength icing (i.e. minor penalty or penalty shot), then I'll change my response.

Last edited:

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY
Once Seattle has a team give the management and front office responsibilities to the collective hfboards braintrust. We all vote on trades and signinings.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
#1 Relegation would not work in the NHL.

2. Would this mean that a team plays 4 series and then has to then play a 5th series to win, or how would that work?

3. Ehhh, senseless violence is working itself out of the game. Teams are so fast and skilled that you can't afford to have a glorified hitman taking ice time from someone who can actually play hockey. Also, the NHL is a business, they have to make money. To make money you have to appeal to the fans. The next generation of fans want to see hockey, not 'Mike Tyson's Punchout On Ice" acted out buy guys who can barely play the game.

Note the thread title is "stupid or unreasonable", so deal with it bruv.

1. I know it won't work with the current illuminati ownership group. We dreamin' here. I love hockey, not the NHL League.

2. If the NHL Champ doesn't auto-win the cup maybe the 16 win playoff format would indeed have to change. Leagues can decide their own champs (even just on season points). Imagining a SCP with NHL, KHL, and other-league teams (considering some parity).

3. I disagree with you, except that if it "works it's way out" or even back in again that's fine for me. I despise this pandering to "new audience" to expand the appeal. The sport and the game are fantastic and in a special balance of speed, skill, and imminent threat of violence that shouldn't be heavily tampered with. You think gentlemen like Iginla, Shanahan, Lucic, Bieksa, Harmonic, Roussel, Tom Wilson, Marooon, Simmonds, etc can/could barely play the game?
The fact you call it ALL "senseless violence" generally demonstrates your understanding of the games nuances to me.

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
There are 17 different nationalities represented in the NHL today. It's extremely diverse

The league is like 93% white, theres nothing wrong with that. But its not diverse.

MLB, NBA are diverse.

Diversity would help to grow the game, make it bigger, more popular. Win win for us fans.

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
Once Seattle has a team give the management and front office responsibilities to the collective hfboards braintrust. We all vote on trades and signinings.
Team relocates within 5 years, can't sign FA's cause the board keeps crashing come July 1st. The draft is another messy situation, but HF manages to draft an alarming amount of busts.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Eliminate conferences and divisions, go to a balanced schedule and seed playoff teams 1-16. Would have been nice in 2014 to have the Hawks and Kings playing for the Cup instead of the opportunity to play for it.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Teams have the option to call for a do over where they surrender all of their roster and get an expansion style draft. Must be 20+ years between do overs.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Eliminate conferences and divisions, go to a balanced schedule and seed playoff teams 1-16. Would have been nice in 2014 to have the Hawks and Kings playing for the Cup instead of the opportunity to play for it.

Chicago was the 7th best team in the regular season that year and LA was 10th. In your system, they meet in the first round....

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Refs being executed for blatantly putting away their whistles.

And goalies to get absolutely rocked when they leave their crease. Giant p***yes in pads.

Flipwon

Jun 25, 2018
Not sure if said already and I'm not reading through the whole thread but I'd love it if every player was wired and there was some specialty channel you could just watch the game with all the player commentary instead of listening to most of the douchebags who call the games here in toronto.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad