What stocks are you buying right now? Part 13

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwertyaas

LGR@
Feb 19, 2008
New York
Not too late. The RSI isn't even in the 50s yet.
Yea, FSLY was a gimmie after the pullback. Their earnings were very good just not great and TicTok uncertaintly caused the pullback. Their mangement are amazing. If they eventually go the route of LVGO I will be quite sour.
I was more concerned with their 400% run-up while beating earnings by approximately 40%. That started their drop didn't it? Tiktok just added fuel to that fire.

It could be I'm looking at the wrong indicators but it seems like quite a bunch of the market is growing so quick, that their actual current and pipeline doesn't justify that rise. Then again, as I said before what do I know. And that's why I missed on a 30% upswing in a week.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Not sure if serious but sure. Growths were overstretched, quite a bit above the 50 day MA so a massive pullback or sideways grind was expected. Some of my stocks seen the pullback (AYX, LVGO, TDOC, FSLY, DDOG) while others moved sideways (PYPL, CRWD, ETSY). Only FOUR has done much the last month.

I appreciate that, but it was more a dig at the poster saying “day traders here only talking when stocks going up”

Reactions: Mike8

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
I'm up about 10% as well but I plan to hold until the earnings at least. I will decide what to do after. I'm not sure if I will sell or not at that time. PTON is the only stock I got in for the short term, but now the more I read on them the more I think I may decide to keep it. Still have to decide.

I like the fact that they are disrupting the fitness sector. Also the fact that they get their revenue from subscription. But I'm a bit scared on how easy it is to duplicate and maybe someone like Apple can decide to take over this sector.

Apple is the supposed threat, but I'm not sure how realistic that is.

My issue with PTON is its valuation. ~$20bn company, set to earn ~$1.8bn this year, ~40% gross margins (not great). This coming quarter is typically a weaker quarter because it's summer months: people exercise outside more. The company's expected to execute to perfection, essentially. The company would need to hit ~$3bn revenue next year, and the subscription revenue has to be an increasing % of revenues ... other concerns: free trials, returns, the fact that PTON hasn't had inventory/mfging to keep up with demand (a good thing, certainly, but depends on framing it and how revenue is recognised on this).

What I like about PTON:

1. Mgmt -- CEO was Barry Diller (IAC) trained.

2. Ecosystem/Platform

3. Subscription/software upside (higher GMs)

4. I'm a little bearish on there being a post-covid world any time soon...

I'm just a little late to the party with PTON shares, so I'll be conservative in my investments here. The company does fit most of my investment criteria (topnotch management; macroeconomic catalysts; clear potential for rapid growth & verticals to expand product offerings) -- so I'd like to be in the name.

Reactions: CRAZY_FAN

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
Today:

PTON (sold)
WMT (sold half position)
SDC (sold)
FSLY (sold)
NFLX (added to existing position)
PSNL (added to existing position)
RDFN (added to existing position)
TWOU (added to existing position)

Next moves:
Looking to add to NFLX, BABA, DBX, start position in CHGG, and re-enter NVTA

Last edited:

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
What are you talking about. I've posted my investments more frequently on down days than up, and most regulars in this thread are pretty transparent on their winners/losers.

You misunderstand. There appears to be very little focus on the value of these companies as opposed to the price of their shares in this thread.

Lot of people in this thread appear to be buying shares of companies they know little to nothing about, besides a limited idea or concept of what they do, in hopes that others will buy the shares and bid up the price.

It's speculation, not investing. May work when the market is going up consistently, but beware when market conditions normalize.

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
You misunderstand. There appears to be very little focus on the value of these companies as opposed to the price of their shares in this thread.

Lot of people in this thread appear to be buying shares of companies they know little to nothing about, besides a limited idea or concept of what they do, in hopes that others will buy the shares and bid up the price.

It's speculation, not investing. May work when the market is going up consistently, but beware when market conditions normalize.

I don't know what you're talking about really... but I don't share your perspective on this thread.

I just had a discussion here with a poster about my selling PTON because of valuation concerns.

EDIT: you're more than welcome to contribute to the thread though, if you'd like to discuss investment theses or any thoughts.

CRAZY_FAN

Aug 26, 2002
Quebec

I doubt that there is enough people following this thread to really move the price of a stock.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I doubt that there is enough people following this thread to really move the price of a stock.

Not hoping people in this thread follow their lead and bid up the price, but hoping the market as a whole bids up the price and makes them money.

How many people in this thread are analyzing the financial statements of these companies? Looking into their main competitors, trying to determine the intrinsic value of the security, estimating its capacity to provide a future income stream, etc...

Very few from what I can tell. I see the same kind of speculation that resulted in tulip fever, the tech bubble, and now Tesla being valued as of the biggest companies in the world. It's fun when everything is going up, but that won't last forever.

CRAZY_FAN

Aug 26, 2002
Quebec
Not hoping people in this thread follow their lead and bid up the price, but hoping the market as a whole bids up the price and makes them money.

How many people in this thread are analyzing the financial statements of these companies? Looking into their main competitors, trying to determine the intrinsic value of the security, estimating its capacity to provide a future income stream, etc...

Very few from what I can tell. I see the same kind of speculation that resulted in tulip fever, the tech bubble, and now Tesla being valued as of the biggest companies in the world. It's fun when everything is going up, but that won't last forever.

I'm not sure if you were here when we started these threads, I know I was and it was said many times that doing DD is required and that nothing here should be taken as financial advice. You take what you want, then you do your own research. I did that on some of the stocks I currently own and it works fine for me so far.

As for the market not making sense, yes that can be true, but the fact is, no one really knows. There is a lot of money injected in the market and it is driving the stock prices up. But what would be the best place to place money right now? Certainly not in a saving account or under the mattress. I think if you buy stocks from companies you believe in and are in for the long term you will likely be way better investing in stocks now then wait for a possible drop. If the market crash next week I do not really care, I will simply add more to the positions I love and then wait for it to recover. This is not rocket science and it has worked well for a very long time. But yes, I'm a long term investor, I understand that your comments were more towards the day traders I suppose.

Last edited:

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Kicking myself for not getting into Salesforce earlier in the month at ~$200. Was interested in the stock for a long time, but kept on putting it off. Skyrocketed to $270 after the earnings report.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Didn't they just lay off 1000 employees?

Ya, it sounded more like a restructuring to get rid of redundant positions or positions that won't fill a need. They're still looking to hiring.

IMO it's a good sign that they're planning for the future instead of maintaining status quo after a huge quarter. Sucks for the employees though, but laying off 1000 employees out of 50000 isn't a cause for concern.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
I'm up about 10% as well but I plan to hold until the earnings at least. I will decide what to do after. I'm not sure if I will sell or not at that time. PTON is the only stock I got in for the short term, but now the more I read on them the more I think I may decide to keep it. Still have to decide.

I like the fact that they are disrupting the fitness sector. Also the fact that they get their revenue from subscription. But I'm a bit scared on how easy it is to duplicate and maybe someone like Apple can decide to take over this sector.

Technically PTON's community (as well as brand) is not really that hard to duplicate but actually amassing a community, on the other hand, is a totally different beast altogether. Ask any average Joe about which exercise bike you can get that has a community network that you can bike with and I doubt they would know any brand except PTON. If you want in on that type of community, you are not going to buy some other brand that has barely any community and where none of your friends/family actually use.

I should have got into PTON months ago as I was looking into them in April...but didn't know much about investing at the time so just kept on leaving it till later. Oh well. If it has a big dip I'll probably get in.

Reactions: CRAZY_FAN

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto

Um...just to clarify, if we invested purely on valuation, or like stringent value investors, well...we would be underperforming the S&P 500 since 2008... I'm not saying, don't do DD or to go into the hot speculative stock of the day, but there are other metrics to look into. Even those spec buys, well, if done right, you can make a lot of $$$ off of speculation trends (generally too risky for me though).

Reactions: TheTechNoir

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
If MSFT wins the bid for tiktok I believe there is a very good chance that they purchase FSLY as well which would disapointing. I think the stakeholders with FSLY would come out losing in the deal.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
It's a crazy time in the world and a crazy time in the market. The pros I talk to say the market is just focused on how the economy will be in a post covid world, so looking at say 2 years from now perhaps. If things don't go that way, the market will get smoked depending on how bad covid continues to be vs what they expected.

Speculation is wildly high and I got to think many are going to get burnt by it at some point as I saw it happen with the dot com bubble and the housing crisis. On the other hand, what the Fed is doing or really mostly suggesting it will do, by buying bonds and stocks if need be, is not only very forward thinking but it shows that as long as they are willing to prop up this market, whatever downturns could be met with strong upswings at some point.

No one knows where the markets or stocks are headed. They can all make their best guesses and in the end it only matters what you do with your money that counts.

Reactions: Mike8

ZenOil

Fast Twitch Hitch
Sep 23, 2010
Vancouver
I missed on Nio. Wanted in at 11-13 but thought it might see 7$ before 20$, I was wrong. Frustrating as I was going to add a lot of shares. Roku with a nice day. Lots of big movers today, sales force was stellar, AYX and FSLY back on track. I will be adding Peloton tomorrow.
I still think Nio is cheap. Probably will consolidate around 20 for a while but the company is going to significantly increase sales and production in the next coming months. This is a great entry point for longs.

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
Hmmm, MTY now up to 33. Having a good day today, but has been slowly and steadily rising lately, which I prefer. Hopefully a few more solid days in a row coming, even if just 1 or 2 percent a day.

Although I suppose I wouldnt complain if it continues to shoot up like today.

If they had the same PE ratio as Telsa they'd be worth >$4,000 a share. Who needs to eat though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->