What stocks are you buying right now? Part 13

Status
Not open for further replies.

DickSmehlik

Oct 23, 2006
The Empire State
Agreed. When is anyones guess, the people that guess correctly will stand to benefit greatly

Im absolutely guessing fall, October/November.

I am guessing that too, specifically if Biden gets elected.

Anyway, I am sitting in almost 20% cash and will swoop in and grab some bargains when it does happen.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Turning green is a subjective matter. So if people are down on a stock, maybe they should just dump their losses and load up TSLA all in, or perhaps loaded up big on NFLX, FB and CRM the day before. Nobody can predict the markets. A stock like MTY.TO could suddenly make a run right after dumping. Given up a substantial opportunity, that is assuming you know for sure that opportunity to load up something is there. MSFT and AMZN at all time highs, is that a substantial opportunity? Should people dump MTY to load up MSFT at highs?
It doesn't matter if you are red or green, if there is no reason the stock will go up, you are just not selling because you don't want a loss, it is an "opportunity cost."

Listen, I'm guilty of it myself, taking a hit on a stock so it turns into a "long term investment." But that doesn't make it the smart play.

Look at it like this, you buy a 100 stocks in a company for 10$ a share because you hear they are coming out with a new product and think it will go up. But it turns out that product is garbage so the share drops to 5$. If they have no other products in the pipeline, but you are just holding waiting for it to go green so you get your money back, it is costing you money else where.

Basically to figure out if you should sell or hold you should ask yourself, "If I had no money in this stock, would I buy 100 shares at 5$ right now?" If the answer is no, the smart move is to sell. Holding the same position you wouldn't buy in the hopes of getting your money back is costing money. The reason you wouldn't buy it, is the same reason it should be sold.

It's not the same as having a company go up 10x and still holding, if it's a long term investment you believe in, you could make the argument that "I wouldn't buy this stock right now, so I should sell it?!" but that is different. You believe in the company, you made your purchase, and you are willing to go along for the ride.

Reactions: Barnaby and Mike8

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Where do you look in Twitter? any particular accounts you're following?
I have an interest in penny stocks these days. I follow people who post on those, taking most of what is written with a grain of salt. For that reason, I use Twitter more than Stocktwits, which does not support penny stocks.

I have an appetite for risk. I'm a university prof, so if I lose value I can pretty much work into my 70s and 80s, and even if wildly successful I may just do that anyway. My research gives me a sense of purpose, while also offering start-up possibilities, and I think this academic activity will greatly delay the aging process (that, plus staying fit with yoga and racquet sports). Many of my colleagues down the hall are in their late 70s and are still vibrant.

I'd rather do that than retire, stay home and have my wife tell me what to do. :skeptic:

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
I have an interest in penny stocks these days. I follow people who post on those, taking most of what is written with a grain of salt. For that reason, I use Twitter more than Stocktwits, which does not support penny stocks.

I have an appetite for risk. I'm a university prof, so if I lose value I can pretty much work into my 70s and 80s, and even if wildly successful I may just do that anyway. My research gives me a sense of purpose, while also offering start-up possibilities, and I think this academic activity will greatly delay the aging process (that, plus staying fit with yoga and racquet sports). Many of my colleagues down the hall are in their late 70s and are still vibrant.

I'd rather do that than retire, stay home and have my wife tell me what to do. :skeptic:

Do you use reddit? /stocks and /stockmarkets are good places to read as well.

Reactions: Barnaby

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
FSLY made an astute purchase today along with TicTok likely purchase has FSLY rocketing today. Not to mention the FED essentially telling the public to get rid of cash and buy stocks...could be a fun 3rd quarter.

Reactions: Mike8

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
Good timing on PTON, they just got an upgrade today. I have been buying also in the last few weeks. I think earnings are going to be very very good.

Fortunate timing for me. I actually stopped out of PTON after a ~10% gain--I don't usually like holding on such violent upswings unless some fundamentals change. I'll look to re-enter on any dips.

Did the same with NFLX yesterday. Fortunate timing to buy at the open, it shot up ~11%, I sold half my position, and re-entered today at ~$530.

Otoh, BYND shot up on fundamental news -- so I'm not likely to take profits there.

Reactions: CRAZY_FAN

CRAZY_FAN

Aug 26, 2002
Quebec
Fortunate timing for me. I actually stopped out of PTON after a ~10% gain--I don't usually like holding on such violent upswings unless some fundamentals change. I'll look to re-enter on any dips.

Did the same with NFLX yesterday. Fortunate timing to buy at the open, it shot up ~11%, I sold half my position, and re-entered today at ~$530.

Otoh, BYND shot up on fundamental news -- so I'm not likely to take profits there.

I'm up about 10% as well but I plan to hold until the earnings at least. I will decide what to do after. I'm not sure if I will sell or not at that time. PTON is the only stock I got in for the short term, but now the more I read on them the more I think I may decide to keep it. Still have to decide.

I like the fact that they are disrupting the fitness sector. Also the fact that they get their revenue from subscription. But I'm a bit scared on how easy it is to duplicate and maybe someone like Apple can decide to take over this sector.

Last edited:

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Whole bunch of rampant speculation in this thread, but very little investing.

Everyone's a Davey Day Trader when the market is going up.

tompa bay

Oct 12, 2019
Anyone have thoughts or invested in FMCI? SPAC merger with plant based company Tattooed Chef. Should make it only the 2nd plant based company other than BYND.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
I've held the same stocks since early July. A lot of sideways movement for me but I expected that.
Well obviously we need to start talking about this awesome sideways movement. As we see, we can't just talk about stocks when they are going up. Tell us more about this sideways, how is that going.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Hmmm, MTY now up to 33. Having a good day today, but has been slowly and steadily rising lately, which I prefer. Hopefully a few more solid days in a row coming, even if just 1 or 2 percent a day.

Although I suppose I wouldnt complain if it continues to shoot up like today.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Well obviously we need to start talking about this awesome sideways movement. As we see, we can't just talk about stocks when they are going up. Tell us more about this sideways, how is that going.
Not sure if serious but sure. Growths were overstretched, quite a bit above the 50 day MA so a massive pullback or sideways grind was expected. Some of my stocks seen the pullback (AYX, LVGO, TDOC, FSLY, DDOG) while others moved sideways (PYPL, CRWD, ETSY). Only FOUR has done much the last month.

Reactions: trufleshufle13

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I'll kicking myself for not jumping in on FSLY in the 70s and low 80s.

Everything seems so inflated now I have no idea where to go from here.
Yea, FSLY was a gimmie after the pullback. Their earnings were very good just not great and TicTok uncertaintly caused the pullback. Their mangement are amazing. If they eventually go the route of LVGO I will be quite sour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->