What stocks are you buying now? Part 28

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
That depends on what you would be selling, If its BTC or ETH you should be holding those for 5-10 years down the road, not for the week to week up and downs, even Cardano I would be holding IF i could freaking buy it somewhere lol
1) By "crypto", what do you mean? Bitcoin or other coins as well?
2) What is your investment thesis?

Personally I'm not selling a satoshi for 10+ years, if ever. I hope to borrow against it to fund my expenses in the long term future.
I've been holding BTC and ETH for years already. There's no guarantee these are good long term investments.

I bought them as diversification assets, but as the price has grown, they've ballooned to become some of my biggest holdings, which I wasn't expecting.

While I believe in the blockchain technology long term, I don't really believe in BTC or ETH as having much use long term.

With valuations on the broader market so high, when a sell off comes, cryptocurrency will be hit very hard IMO.

YLC

May 6, 2010
I'm not sure if this is the "singularity", "event horizon", "paradigm shift", etc. or not. It may well drop 30-50% at any time and continue to do what it does. Run up, then crash, run up, then crash, etc.

However, in my opinion at some point we will reach (if we haven't reached it already) the point where it shifts from a predictable pattern of bull and bear markets to an "S curve adoption" where enough people realize it is the future and there is a stampede to get in which results in Bitcoin escaping the gravity well and embarking on a sustained parabolic long term run with no major pullback until everyone who wants to get in has gotten in.

Few understand. But that won't always be the case.

Love this analogy.

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
Man, I just did my taxes, and capital gains f***ed me. It's like they don't want you to succeed.

I'm terrified. I was positive I was investing under a TFSA because that's what I set up from the very beginning with RBC and I see no mention of it anywhere now that I'm looking. I just see day to day savings and direct investing. I dunno I'm probably f***ed lol but honestly I don't really care. I'll just figure it all out, learn a lesson, and move on.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Man, I just did my taxes, and capital gains f***ed me. It's like they don't want you to succeed.
No, they don't want you to succeed. Unless you manage to succeed enough to afford a good tax lawyer or offshore account, but by then you're one of them.

I'm terrified. I was positive I was investing under a TFSA because that's what I set up from the very beginning with RBC and I see no mention of it anywhere now that I'm looking. I just see day to day savings and direct investing. I dunno I'm probably f***ed lol but honestly I don't really care. I'll just figure it all out, learn a lesson, and move on.
I made this mistake initially as well. Switched over to a TFSA late, but it captured 90% of my 10x GEVO gains, so I'm thanking god I pulled the trigger.

Last edited:
Reactions: McGarnagle

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall

This might also explain why you can trade OTC and @VanillaCoke can't if he IS using a TFSA with RBC.

Reactions: VanillaCoke

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
So what's the deal I just transfer a part of my direct investing account into the TFSA and then I can't get taxed on that when I sell it?

Honestly I am not well versed enough to try and advise you at this point. I just know, as stated by others earlier too, you can't trade OTC in a TFSA. I can confirm this as my TFSA account with Questrade won't let me buy OTC.

Reactions: Perrah

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
Honestly I am not well versed enough to try and advise you at this point. I just know, as stated by others earlier too, you can't trade OTC in a TFSA. I can confirm this as my TFSA account with Questrade won't let me buy OTC.

Can also confirm. Says you cant buy them in a registered account.

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
So what's the deal I just transfer a part of my direct investing account into the TFSA and then I can't get taxed on that when I sell it?

The profit/dividends that you make under the TFSA account is tax free. You won't get taxed.

OTC stocks is not allowed under RRSP and TFSA.

Reactions: CRAZY_FAN

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

I don't think you can transfer between DI and TFSA, but I'd contact RBC and ask them.

Reactions: ZDH

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013

This only applies to some stocks. For example I can't buy GYGC - Guyana Gold Ord Shs in my TFSA with Questrade. I do however hold PSHZF in my TFSA. I never took the time to verify, but I always assumed it depended on which OTC market.

While I hold AT.TO - neat to see Acuif had the best return of all OTCQX stocks in 2020. PLNHF (I hold PLTH.CN) was 20th, I believe.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
This only applies to some stocks. For example I can't buy GYGC - Guyana Gold Ord Shs in my TFSA with Questrade. I do however hold PSHZF in my TFSA. I never took the time to verify, but I always assumed it depended on which OTC market.

While I hold AT.TO - neat to see Acuif had the best return of all OTCQX stocks in 2020. PLNHF (I hold PLTH.CN) was 20th, I believe.

I believe if the stock is on another designated exchange, then you can still buy it on the OTC market. For your example, I think PSHZF is listed on the London Stock exchange as PSH which allowed you to buy it in your TFSA.

Reactions: TheTechNoir

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall

Quite possible. I haven't found any I can buy but at the same time I haven't tried many. After seeing the first couple get rejected I just started to ignore OTC.

EDIT:

I believe if the stock is on another designated exchange, then you can still buy it on the OTC market. For your example, I think PSHZF is listed on the London Stock exchange as PSH which allowed you to buy it in your TFSA.

This makes sense. Thank you!

Reactions: TheTechNoir

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Your dividends from US stocks are subject to a 15% withholding tax. Your capital gains are completely tax free though.

My question on this is simply: are we taxed at source or once we w/d the funds from the dividend. basically is the money/dividend that’s put into the cash holding of our TFSA already taxed or not. That’s what I can’t find out.

Stanley Cup

Bettman's ice bucket
Jul 15, 2010
Québec
Make sure your assets are within your TFSA. I know RBC's DI very well and you can have multiple accounts under the same login. Make sure you are using TFSA unless it is maximized. As others said, you cannot trade OTC within a registered account like TFSA and RRSP. It is fairly easy to open your registered account online if you already have an investment account opened.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
My question on this is simply: are we taxed at source or once we w/d the funds from the dividend. basically is the money/dividend that’s put into the cash holding of our TFSA already taxed or not. That’s what I can’t find out.
Exactly what I’d like to know. All my stuff is tfsa so I won’t be taxed but I may have small US dividend returns. Also wondering if my cash payout for LVGO was taxed before the money got put in tfsa or do I need to claim that as a dividend pay out?

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

I believe your broker will withhold the tax amount before you see the dividends in your account, i.e. they'll take 15% of the US dividends, so whatever appears in your account is the amount you have.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
E3 metals looks interesting. Anyone in it/researched it? Seem to have big lithium supply and has been mooning lately. They are mining but also researching better ways to extract lithium.

Canada - ETMC USA - EEMMF

Yeah man. They're getting a lot of traction and attracting some quality people who were recently laid off from conventional energy/mining positions.

Unfortunately only started a small position at $2 and kept waiting for the hype to die down a bit, but they've just been steadily increasing. Had a huge buy order (for like 10% of my portfolio) at $1.75 ready to go but it just didn't hit that number. Got too greedy.

If it ever falls into the low $3 range again that's one I'm going to buy into big time and hold for a while. I'd imagine they're working on another raise around $4-5 pretty soon though to solidify that price point.

When you transfer to the TFSA you'll realize the gains/losses from your margin account and it will start a new position in the TFSA, from which point you will not have any capital gains when you sell. The other cool thing is that the realized gains just add to your contribution room apparently (ie. if you have $5,000 of room this year which you use to buy whatever stocks, and then close those positions at a gain for $7,500 - you can use that full $7,500 on new positions, which will also be tax free). I think realizing losses has the opposite effect though, so be careful there.

I got super lucky by inquiring in this thread in late December and managed to switch some big "higher upside" positions (CCIV, HIVE, my own company stock) over to the TFSA; so now all of my gains in those over the past couple months will be tax exempt this year. Unfortunately, I didn't think the Score would 10 bag so quickly (and didn't want the 4x I was sitting on in December to be realized), so I left that one in the margin account. :( Ah well.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
This might also explain why you can trade OTC and @VanillaCoke can't if he IS using a TFSA with RBC.
Yeah thats what im using, just gets rejected in a few minutes.

Was going to set up my rrsp for investing too, but that won't provide me access either evidently. Idk really what the other options are lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->