What stocks are you buying now? Part 22

Status
Not open for further replies.

BreadManPanarin

Mar 15, 2017
I intend to write a summary of why TSLA continues to go to the moon, and why it probably won’t stop soon or crash hard. (I call it The Great Benchmark Squeeze of 2021). Its gonna take some time though so I need to wait until I am sitting at a computer keyboard. For now, hello $850 level! See you at the $900 level. Edit: Yesterday ARK sold 164,803 shares of TSLA to rebalance and it didn't affect the uptrend whatsoever. Wow.

He’s good at buying stocks but no one should listen to his shorting strategies.

In this raging bull market no one should be short anything except maybe blatant frauds like NKLA or huge nonsensical run-ups like KODK. And even then caution is needed because the market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent.

Last edited:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
The SNDL Jan 15th 1 dollar strike had crazy high volume, 37K contracts, 97K open interest, that's nuts. Someone must think it's going to pop before next Friday, i added some at .07 and .05 for shits and giggles.
Could you explain more to me on this? I don't really understand your post? I recently sold Sundial. But could been a mistake.

Ol Dirty Bstrd

Nov 25, 2007
I’ve been lurking for a while and just want to thank everyone for the awesome advice. I’ll echo what others have said and hope this thread sticks around long after the pandemic.

I haven’t been around here much in the past week or two, and haven’t been trading as much either, but holy shit every time I check my brokerage account it’s been up a few percent per day. Mostly on the back of Tesla (which I foolishly sold almost half of on S&P inclusion day) and Bitcoin. My timing with Bitcoin was pretty fortunate, I got in just over a month ago and it has doubled since. Also have positions in a few ARK funds, clean energy (QCLN), semiconductors (SOXX), gambling (BETZ, PENN, GNOG, DKNG), tech (VGT, AMZN, SQ, BABA) and a small position in ETH. BABA seems to be my only loser recently.

All this to say, this has been a ridiculous run up that is clearly not sustainable, but wondering what people’s thoughts are on what stocks or sectors have the most upside in the next few years. I would like to consolidate my positions a bit and take a slightly more aggressive approach. I know we have some super Tesla and Bitcoin bulls in here (whose advice has made me a lot of money so thank you!). Obviously no one can really predict the market short term, but does a pull back seem inevitable or is now as good a time as ever to start adding to those positions? Or might I want to look elsewhere when I re-balance? For reference, I currently have 20% of my portfolio in BTC and 15% in TSLA, although those percentages seem to go up by the minute :)

EDIT: sorry for the long post, basically wondering what people are most bullish on and whether they expect any kind of short term pullback in those stocks/sectors given the crazy run up recently

By the way, in case people missed it here is a great read on why the markets have been doing so well during a global pandemic. Seems so obvious now but I did not connect the dots back in March/April of last year. Took me a while to trust the recovery so I got in relatively late unfortunately (my first buy was VGT in July/Aug) but I can’t complain about the returns since :)

Why Markets Boomed in a Year of Human Misery

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: TheBluePenguin

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
I’ve been lurking for a while and just want to thank everyone for the awesome advice. I’ll echo what others have said and hope this thread sticks around long after the pandemic.

I haven’t been around here much in the past week or two, and haven’t been trading as much either, but holy shit every time I check my brokerage account it’s been up a few percent per day. Mostly on the back of Tesla (which I foolishly sold almost half of on S&P inclusion day) and Bitcoin. My timing with Bitcoin was pretty fortunate, I got in just over a month ago and it has doubled since. Also have positions in a few ARK funds, clean energy (QCLN), semiconductors (SOXX), gambling (BETZ, PENN, GNOG, DKNG), tech (VGT, AMZN, SQ, BABA) and a small position in ETH. BABA seems to be my only loser recently.

All this to say, this has been a ridiculous run up that is clearly not sustainable, but wondering what people’s thoughts are on what stocks or sectors have the most upside in the next few years. I would like to consolidate my positions a bit and take a slightly more aggressive approach. I know we have some super Tesla and Bitcoin bulls in here (whose advice has made me a lot of money so thank you!). Obviously no one can really predict the market short term, but does a pull back seem inevitable or is now as good a time as ever to start adding to those positions? Or might I want to look elsewhere when I re-balance? For reference, I currently have 20% of my portfolio in BTC and 15% in TSLA, although those percentages seem to go up by the minute :)

EDIT: sorry for the long post, basically wondering what people are most bullish on and whether they expect any kind of short term pullback in those stocks/sectors given the crazy run up recently

I have only been trading on my own for 2.5 weeks (I have a 401k and rollovers that are set up in funds) but I put 5k into a TD Ameritrade account on DEC 28th and doing research I was going back and forth between BABA and BIDU. I decided on BIDU because of an article read that mentioned them and quantum computing. I only bought 5 shares since I only started with 5k and holy smokes they are almost 20% in that little bit of time. Then the whole thing with BABAs CEO going missing...I got really lucky on that pick

Reactions: Ol Dirty Bstrd

Ol Dirty Bstrd

Nov 25, 2007
I have only been trading on my own for 2.5 weeks (I have a 401k and rollovers that are set up in funds) but I put 5k into a TD Ameritrade account on DEC 28th and doing research I was going back and forth between BABA and BIDU. I decided on BIDU because of an article read that mentioned them and quantum computing. I only bought 5 shares since I only started with 5k and holy smokes they are almost 20% in that little bit of time. Then the whole thing with BABAs CEO going missing...I got really lucky on that pick

Yea tough news surrounding BABA. Debating whether to cut bait or ride it out. Luckily my position is not that big.

BIDU isn’t on my radar, I’ll check that one out. Nice pick.

BreadManPanarin

Mar 15, 2017
By the way, in case people missed it here is a great read on why the markets have been doing so well during a global pandemic. Seems so obvious now but I did not connect the dots back in March/April of last year. Took me a while to trust the recovery so I got in relatively late unfortunately (my first buy was VGT in July/Aug) but I can’t complain about the returns since :)

Same. I cashed out in March like a fool (before the bottom, but I shouldn't have cashed out at all). Sat in cash for a few months look a noob and then I got back in on July 1 and I'm up a little over 100% since. But should have done WAAAAY better if I had been smart enough to figure out TSLA sooner. :oops:

BreadManPanarin

Mar 15, 2017
I am increasingly convinced that what we are seeing is not a market bubble, but a growing vote of no confidence in the US dollar and fiat currency in general. I'm sure I am not alone in this thinking.

TSLA and BTC are the two things that I see as the best ways to store my value as the USD continues to weaken. Maybe they aren't even gaining value as fast as it seems, but are in fact just doing a better job than everything else of avoiding losing value? That is an interesting thought. Obviously an exaggeration but it gets the point across.

In a somewhat disappointing turn of events my portfolio is only up 3.5% so far today. Is the market broken or what? /s

Okay, 5%. That's more like it. Sometimes you just have to complain a bit in order to get satisfaction.

Last edited:
Reactions: McGarnagle

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I am increasingly convinced that what we are seeing is not a market bubble, but a growing vote of no confidence in the US dollar and fiat currency in general. I'm sure I am not alone in this thinking.

TSLA and BTC are the two things that I see as the best ways to store my value as the USD continues to weaken. Maybe they aren't even gaining value as fast as it seems, but are in fact just doing a better job than everything else of avoiding losing value? That is an interesting thought. Obviously an exaggeration but it gets the point across.

Okay, 5%. That's more like it. Sometimes you just have to complain a bit in order to get satisfaction.
Isn’t that just as bad, or worse than a bubble? If people arent trusting the US Dollar wont they take their money out of the market and put it on other things like Crypto/Gold? That could cause the same results of a bubble popping.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
How long you planning on hanging onto SI? I started a position in the low 60s and may end up selling at some point to put some more into QBTC.

I think i will just ride it for a little longer, for now my plan is to trim a little here and there until Feb, waiting to see how this new covid strain does as at some point we are going to be due for a decent hit of say 10% or more. So i might trim it at some point in the next few weeks, perhaps sell 50 and keep 100.

Could you explain more to me on this? I don't really understand your post? I recently sold Sundial. But could been a mistake.

do you trade options? if not I wouldn't recommend unless you know what you are doing.

I was talking about SNDL's Jan 15th calls, that means you own the contract till next Friday. I own the 1 dollar strike price, so the share price has to be over a dollar if I wanted to exercise which means that if the stock were say trading at 1.50 by next Friday, I could buy the stock at 1 dollar up to however many contracts I have. 1 contract = 100 shares, I have 20 so I could buy up to 2000 (I don't have to buy them all, just in lots of 100, s0 1000, 1500, 700, etc..)

The volume and open interest is insane, that's the number of contracts traded and the number of positions held. Today the open interest is 103K, so that means a lot of people own the 1 dollar calls thinking by next week it will make a move higher.

Reactions: Scintillating10

Ol Dirty Bstrd

Nov 25, 2007
Same. I cashed out in March like a fool (before the bottom, but I shouldn't have cashed out at all). Sat in cash for a few months look a noob and then I got back in on July 1 and I'm up a little over 100% since. But should have done WAAAAY better if I had been smart enough to figure out TSLA sooner. :oops:

Still 3x my returns. Grass is always greener haha.

Your conviction in Tesla along with my decision to challenge my personal risk tolerance helped me open a larger position than I ever thought I would (even if I liquidated a large portion of it). Thanks for the great advice!

Reactions: BreadManPanarin

BreadManPanarin

Mar 15, 2017
Isn’t that just as bad, or worse than a bubble? If people arent trusting the US Dollar wont they take their money out of the market and put it on other things like Crypto/Gold? That could cause the same results of a bubble popping.

I don't think so. Equities are an alternative store of value to the dollar similar to the way that crypto / gold are. As the value of the dollar goes down, each should be worth more relative to the dollar. Assets get more expensive as inflation goes up. And still only a small fraction of the population and institutions understand and trust crypto. BTC is going to fly as more and more catch on. TSLA is going to fly regardless of inflation because it is the future.

Still 3x my returns. Grass is always greener haha.

Your conviction in Tesla along with my decision to challenge my personal risk tolerance helped me open a larger position than I ever thought I would (even if I liquidated a large portion of it). Thanks for the great advice!

Thanks. I think it is great advice, but I'm biased because I'm me. It could end up being bad advice in the long run, so be careful. Gains aren't real until you lock them in. But personally I won't be taking profits on TSLA until at least 2-3x the current market cap.

saluki

Nov 18, 2017

Unfortunately I don't remember the it was, who exactly said it, or where the market was (I know, not much help). I believe it might have been Cramer or someone of equal stature.

They stated, when the market was around 23000 or 24000 (iirc) that future gains were limited because there "simply wasn't any more money to put into the market. Every one is tapped out." I remember it clearly (I know for sure it was before the Covid crash).

So my question is - where is all of this extra money coming from? Are countries printing money specifically to invest in the market?

It's almost impossible to lose money right now. I've made almost $10,000 dollars this month barely lifting a finger. 8 fricking days.

BreadManPanarin

Mar 15, 2017
Unfortunately I don't remember the it was, who exactly said it, or where the market was (I know, not much help). I believe it might have been Cramer or someone of equal stature.

They stated, when the market was around 23000 or 24000 (iirc) that future gains were limited because there "simply wasn't any more money to put into the market. Every one is tapped out." I remember it clearly (I know for sure it was before the Covid crash).

So my question is - where is all of this extra money coming from? Are countries printing money specifically to invest in the market?

It's almost impossible to lose money right now. I've made almost $10,000 dollars this month barely lifting a finger. 8 fricking days.

Well, we just printed $3 trillion USD and other governments are printing money too. So.... that's where it is coming from.

They give the money to citizens and corporations and banks and it serves some purpose until it reaches someone who doesn't need it for anything else except to invest it. That's my extremely layman understanding of it, anyways. In my case the second stimulus money hits my account it goes into the market. Which probably makes me a bad person TBH. Probably should be giving it to charity if I don't need it. :oops:

Last edited:

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013

Does this mean we are set for a pandemic recovery stock market decline once life returns to normal? People begin withdrawing from the markets so they can go on vacations and spend some or all of their profits. At a minimum if people begin to increase their monthly spending then they have less or no money to put in the market so less buyers may create a decline. Possibly a slow, drown out one year or longer market decline.

Last edited:

PithShiver

May 21, 2020
I just wanted to say thanks everyone. I know literally zero and am up massively in 6 months because of this board. Is anyone interested in BFT at this time? It is a Bill Foley company and seems to be getting some buzz.

BreadManPanarin

Mar 15, 2017
For the record, I expect this TSLA Benchmark Squeeze to end when TSLA announces another OTM Capital Raise. Probably another $5-10 billion, and probably very soon. That will satiate the benchmark funds and get them all equal weight (except the ones with utter fool fund managers who don't take that undeserved gift and continue to be underweight TSLA and eventually get fired). After this we'll either see a bit of a dip or start to trade sideways until Q4 Earnings Call.

TSLA has nothing to lose by doing this. They can get $5 billion for .6% dilution or $10 billion for 1.2% dilution, which is basically trivial. This would further build their war chest and turn their balance sheet into an impregnable fortress. Investors might prefer that they just keep letting the stock price run wild, but that isn't necessarily what is in the best interest of the company. I expect Zach Kirkhorn and Elon Musk to capitalize on another huge opportunity to take advantage of a massive valuation within the next few trading days, if not today.

The usual caveat: I am often wrong.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->