Speculation: What starting caliber goalies will hit UFA?

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I expect Varlamov, Howard and Elliott to sign elsewhere. Rest I'd be leaning on staying with their current organization (esp Rinne and Lehner if he has a good year for believing in him).

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I imagine Smith will get to UFA. I doubt there's a long list of teams that'll be lining up to get him for more than a year or two. Could see Calgary resigning him short term too if things go well.

Bob and Varly for sure. Them boys going to get paid somewhere.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Rinne is a really interesting case to me. Nashville friends, how close are they to making it Saros' team?

Would be interesting to see if he'd be fine with a significantly lesser role but I mean...he's still...very good. So who knows.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Bob is getting 10.5M from someone if he doesn't take a discount to stay in CBJ. He'd be the biggest UFA goalie in ages.

Reactions: DaveG

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Rinne is a really interesting case to me. Nashville friends, how close are they to making it Saros' team?

Would be interesting to see if he'd be fine with a significantly lesser role but I mean...he's still...very good. So who knows.
If Nashville extends rinne they shouldn't make the deal longer than what they have left on saros deal. You want that transition point.

Al of those guys could leave. Bob due to money and term, Talbot depends on his play this year. Smith is older but Calgary’s young goalies probably are not ready for starter role just backup. Howard I bet is done in Detroit. Same with Varly in Col.

Elliott would be a solid guy to have if you are breaking in a young guy into that starter role. I doubt hart is ready after 1 ahl season so he may leave Philly.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
Bobrovsky will get huge money from a team who thinks they're a goalie away from really contending. Maybe St. Louis/Carolina/Philadelphia?

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Bobrovsky will get huge money from a team who thinks they're a goalie away from really contending. Maybe St. Louis/Carolina/Philadelphia?

Hextall will not make the mistakes Holmgren made. After the Bryzgalov disaster no way.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Howard is 50/50 UFA vs. staying. As far back as mid last season there was talk of possible 2-3 yr. extension, as our G prospects aren't close to ready. That could change this year. Bernier will have 2 more years @ $3M after this season, so he's insurance/stop-gap either way. Ken Holland gets way too attached to his homegrown vets & usually gives them way too much term & $ on their last few contracts a la Jimmy's current deal. Hope he gets traded by TDL '19 & KH finds a cheaper & better substitute via FA.

Reactions: Go Wings

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I think Varlamov could be a target for Carolina. I would say Bobrovsky, but I have no idea where he'd be open to going. Doesn't make much sense to leave Columbus to go to Carolina.

Like Panarin wants to go to a big US market, so it makes sense he might leave.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
I'd be really surprised to see Rinne go anywhere. Last I heard both him and Poile are fully intent on having him retire as a Predator. The fact that he's really close with Saros should make the transition period a bit easier for him too.

Reactions: Gh24

oilers84

Jun 24, 2009
if talbot struggles a bit more then oilers will be looking far a new up and coming guy as well as dmen as usual

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

St.Louis / Philadelphia / Carolina / Calgary seem like they'd all be in the bidding.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I think Talbot stays regardless. If he has a flop of a year and other teams are willing to outbid Edmonton (I doubt it) I imagine he'll get around the same $$$ for another 2-3 seasons. If he's really lights out this season and steals a bunch of wins for Edmonton, I donno. Edmonton is probably looking for a new goalie due to being unable to find the cap space to keep him.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Id guess Rinne. Nashville will need to save money, and if Saaros is ready to take over Rinne may move on.

Blues,Flames, Flyers would all be very,very interested

Kevs Security

inmateMack/CanesMack/LeafMack/elMacko
May 28, 2018
Toronto, Canada
Bobrovsky: I don't think he'll hit the UFA market to be honest. Kekalainen will do anything to keep him, and if he can't, he'll just trade him like Steve did with Bishop. Not sure about his trade value at the draft, and I'm pretty sure contenders wont trade for him at the TDL unless one of the starters is out for the remainder of the season.

Rinne: Small kids etc, and he seems pretty happy in Nashville. He's also getting old, so I guess he'll play for only another year or two in the NHL. Also going in to the season with unproven Saros as your starter is not a good idea. Ideally they would be a 1A-1B tandem in the next season, both playing somewhere around 40 games. After that release Rinne or play him as your backup.

Varlamov: Guy's had some some problems with injuries, can't blame him for that. He's still a good goalie, but I don't think he'll get that starter goalie's salary anymore. Might try his luck and sign with a team like NYR, if Georgiev doesn't impress.

Smith: Just retire already, man.
Elliot: Same.

Howard: I always thought he was about as good as Reimer. Tandem-goalie for a team with young and upcoming prospect? Howard-Husso 1A-1B or Howard-Hart 1A-1B, how does that sound?

Talbot: Signs with Edmonton.

Lehner: Finally plays for a team with a solid goalie coach. Let's see what happens. Might have a career year. Possible free agent, but I don't see him as a guy many teams would target. If he plays well, I can see Isles signing him to a 3-year, $4 million contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->