Speculation: What starting caliber goalies will hit UFA?

Discussion in 'Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk' started by mymerlincat, Oct 11, 2018.

1. mymerlincat

mymerlincat Moderator

none
    Currently, Bobrovsky, Rinne, Varlamov, Smith, Howard, Talbot, Elliott, and Lehner are all slated to be UFAs next summer. Which ones will actually leave their teams?

2. daddy

daddy Finance // Political Science Double Major

Bob,Rinne,Varly and Elliott imo will test FA

LamorielloAndSon likes this.
  3. Tomas Tatahhh

Tomas Tatahhh Devil's Advocate

I expect Varlamov, Howard and Elliott to sign elsewhere. Rest I'd be leaning on staying with their current organization (esp Rinne and Lehner if he has a good year for believing in him).

4. Volica

Volica CFHF Unofficial, Official Tour Guide

I imagine Smith will get to UFA. I doubt there's a long list of teams that'll be lining up to get him for more than a year or two. Could see Calgary resigning him short term too if things go well.

Bob and Varly for sure. Them boys going to get paid somewhere.

5. Paris in Flames

Paris in Flames Registered User

Rinne is a really interesting case to me. Nashville friends, how close are they to making it Saros' team?

Would be interesting to see if he'd be fine with a significantly lesser role but I mean...he's still...very good. So who knows.

6. danielpalfredsson

danielpalfredsson is too old for sens drama

not a schmohawk
    Bob is getting 10.5M from someone if he doesn't take a discount to stay in CBJ. He'd be the biggest UFA goalie in ages.

DaveG likes this.
  7. StreetHawk

StreetHawk Registered User

If Nashville extends rinne they shouldn't make the deal longer than what they have left on saros deal. You want that transition point.

Al of those guys could leave. Bob due to money and term, Talbot depends on his play this year. Smith is older but Calgary’s young goalies probably are not ready for starter role just backup. Howard I bet is done in Detroit. Same with Varly in Col.

Elliott would be a solid guy to have if you are breaking in a young guy into that starter role. I doubt hart is ready after 1 ahl season so he may leave Philly.

8. JackFr

JackFr Registered User

Bobrovsky will get huge money from a team who thinks they're a goalie away from really contending. Maybe St. Louis/Carolina/Philadelphia?

9. HawkeyTalkMan

HawkeyTalkMan Registered User

Hextall will not make the mistakes Holmgren made. After the Bryzgalov disaster no way.

10. DATSOMATIC13

DATSOMATIC13 Registered User

Howard is 50/50 UFA vs. staying. As far back as mid last season there was talk of possible 2-3 yr. extension, as our G prospects aren't close to ready. That could change this year. Bernier will have 2 more years @ $3M after this season, so he's insurance/stop-gap either way. Ken Holland gets way too attached to his homegrown vets & usually gives them way too much term & $ on their last few contracts a la Jimmy's current deal. Hope he gets traded by TDL '19 & KH finds a cheaper & better substitute via FA.

Go Wings likes this.
  11. Cor

Cor Most Likes Received By HFW Poster - 2018

I think Varlamov could be a target for Carolina. I would say Bobrovsky, but I have no idea where he'd be open to going. Doesn't make much sense to leave Columbus to go to Carolina.

Like Panarin wants to go to a big US market, so it makes sense he might leave.

12. TaketheCannoli

TaketheCannoli RIP

I believe Bob wants a long term contract for more than Price is getting. Will someone pay it?

13. Newfy OilPenguin

Newfy OilPenguin Registered User

If this happens it’s the worst contract signed since I’ve been old enough to care about contracts and $$$.

LamorielloAndSon likes this.
  14. King Weber

King Weber Registered User

I'd be really surprised to see Rinne go anywhere. Last I heard both him and Poile are fully intent on having him retire as a Predator. The fact that he's really close with Saros should make the transition period a bit easier for him too.

Gh24 likes this.
  15. oilers84

oilers84 Registered User

if talbot struggles a bit more then oilers will be looking far a new up and coming guy as well as dmen as usual

16. WTFMAN99

WTFMAN99 Registered User

AC
    SHARE MY BLOG! FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER! WTFMAN999
    St.Louis / Philadelphia / Carolina / Calgary seem like they'd all be in the bidding.

17. thadd

thadd Oil4Life

English teacher
    I think Talbot stays regardless. If he has a flop of a year and other teams are willing to outbid Edmonton (I doubt it) I imagine he'll get around the same $$$ for another 2-3 seasons. If he's really lights out this season and steals a bunch of wins for Edmonton, I donno. Edmonton is probably looking for a new goalie due to being unable to find the cap space to keep him.

18. Halla

Halla Registered User

Id guess Rinne. Nashville will need to save money, and if Saaros is ready to take over Rinne may move on.

Blues,Flames, Flyers would all be very,very interested

19. Halla

Halla Registered User

Edmonton would probably be wise not to pay Talbot 6mil+

20. renhel

renhel Registered User

Lehtonen, Kinkaid, Pickard ...
    All good enough to start 41 games.

21. Kevs Security

Kevs Security inmateMack/CanesMack/LeafMack/elMacko

Corporate security fella!
    Bobrovsky: I don't think he'll hit the UFA market to be honest. Kekalainen will do anything to keep him, and if he can't, he'll just trade him like Steve did with Bishop. Not sure about his trade value at the draft, and I'm pretty sure contenders wont trade for him at the TDL unless one of the starters is out for the remainder of the season.

Rinne: Small kids etc, and he seems pretty happy in Nashville. He's also getting old, so I guess he'll play for only another year or two in the NHL. Also going in to the season with unproven Saros as your starter is not a good idea. Ideally they would be a 1A-1B tandem in the next season, both playing somewhere around 40 games. After that release Rinne or play him as your backup.

Varlamov: Guy's had some some problems with injuries, can't blame him for that. He's still a good goalie, but I don't think he'll get that starter goalie's salary anymore. Might try his luck and sign with a team like NYR, if Georgiev doesn't impress.

Smith: Just retire already, man.
    Elliot: Same.

Howard: I always thought he was about as good as Reimer. Tandem-goalie for a team with young and upcoming prospect? Howard-Husso 1A-1B or Howard-Hart 1A-1B, how does that sound?

Talbot: Signs with Edmonton.

Lehner: Finally plays for a team with a solid goalie coach. Let's see what happens. Might have a career year. Possible free agent, but I don't see him as a guy many teams would target. If he plays well, I can see Isles signing him to a 3-year, $4 million contract.