What size replacement runner?

SkepticalDougO

Jul 8, 2010
Louisiana
I was wondering how to figure out what size replacement runner I would need, I don't need any yet but was wondering.

How often do they need to be replaced / sharpened?

Also, is anyone familiar with the rocket runner on the CCMs?

These are the skates I got...Size 8.
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/ccm-hockey-skates-vector-u-plus-pro-sr.html

This is my first pair of ice hockey skates so I'm not familiar with runners at all.... When I am skating my left skate feel fine, but it the right one seems to bite into the ice at times and it feels like I am fighting it. Is it my form, or could it be the blade wasn't sharpened right or I got a nick in it?:help:

canuck44

Feb 24, 2010
If you look at your holders, near the back on either side on the part that attaches to the boot itself, there will be a number followed by L/R depending on which side. That's the length of the holder/runner. I THINK it should be 272, but I could be wrong.

As for how often they should be sharpened, there is no right or wrong answer. It depends on which hollow you get, your size, your skating, how sharp you like your skates, etc. I generally say you'll get 5-6 hours of skating in for an average guy with 1/2" sharpening on an indoor rink.

If you had the skates sharpened at a good shop, then most likely the issue is because you're new to skating.

I've never dealt with rocket runners, but from what I gather they're supposed to be really light and hold edges for the longest out of all the current runners available.

greech

Jul 17, 2004
Boston
If the runner was not sharpened by someone that knows what they were doing, they could have been burned and warped. Also, the holder could be mounted askew, which seems to be a big problem with production shifting to China as of late. But, if you're new to skating, its probably your naturally weaker foot showing its colors.

SkepticalDougO

Jul 8, 2010
Louisiana
I'll check the back of the holder tonight- thanks for the tip.

I'm going to assume it's me that's the problem with the skate, the only thing that gave me pause to consider the other was we only have one place in town to sharpen skates when I dropped them off the guy who does them wasn't in and the lady said 'you may want to check them, the kid who did them isn't in' I've put probably 5 hours on them already, I'll get them re-sharpened in the next couple of weeks so I'll see.

Thanks for the help guys

Gino 14

Aug 23, 2006
You've got plenty of time before you will need new runners, don't worry about that. There's plenty of information on the net so you can get a good idea if the skates are properly sharpened, or at least if they weren't.

TinofGrizz

Feb 5, 2010
271 is the runner length for a size 8.0/8.5 for CCM skates with the rocket runner. If it is only one foot it sounds like there could be an issue with the sharpening job. I actually just stopped working at a pro shop right as the rocket runner was hitting the market and they were a nightmare to sharpen as they didn't fit into the holder the same as a regular skate. If the sharpener is not terribly experienced, it is highly likely it could be an issue with the cut.

I had at the time been sharpening for 8+ years so I really didn't have an issue with the adjustment but there were a lot of competitors of our hacking up sharpening's terribly. I remember having to order a customer a new pair of runners after less then 10 cuts because their usual guy was taking a ton off getting them level.

If you do need to eventually replace them I would suggest going with either the standard stainless or the performance lite runner to get a little more life out of the steel.

SkepticalDougO

Jul 8, 2010
Louisiana
Thanks for the help everyone- and yup it is 271

I'll skate on them a few more times then get them resharpened and make sure the right person is there this time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->