OT: What show should I watch next?

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Hell on Wheels was pretty good. About the building of the transcontinental railroad post civil war; politics and gunfighting for the most part. Watched it on a whim out of boredom, ended up finishing the whole series over the course of the last month or so. It drags in some places and loses steam toward the end but after the first few episodes until the last season, it’s pretty damn entertaining. Cullen Bohanon is a great character.

Reactions: nyrage

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Caught up and finished The Punisher on Netflix.

A couple I've read about on Netflix that caught my interest: The Old Guard and Lost Bullet.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Down To Earth on Netflix has been dope so far. Zac Efron and Darin Olien go to various countries and look at the lifestyle and eating habits.

Lots of interesting and informative shit, from Apples originating in Kazakhstan to the superior and healthy public water filtration system in Paris.

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
What’s everyone’s thoughts on Peaky Blinders? I had watched the first two seasons when it came out but I decided to start from the beginning last week. Just finished season 3 and I love most of it.

Tommy is Tommy. If anything, everyone else holds him back. He’s a bastard and a genius, and made off coffin nails.

Arthur I’m really sympathetic toward. Poor guy is the older brother but between a broken head and just not being as smart as Tommy, he’s always like the poor schmuck of the family. And despite being a horrible person (like everyone in the show) he’s actually sweet in his way.

Pol and Ada piss me off. Polly would be a bad ass but she’s also a shit show and acts like she never makes a mistake or has a secret and constantly nags Tommy whenever he does. But Tommy, consequences or no, comes out on top more often than anyone else... certainly Polly.

I like Michael. I can already predict the inevitable conflict with Tommy because Michael is the most like him and the most capable of actually plotting a takeover. Despite this, I actually like him for a lot of the same reasons I like Tommy.

And Alfie. It’s Jewish Bane. Shalom Arthur.

Great sound track. Fantastic wardrobes and cars. Someone ought to manufacture modernized model-Ts with all of the amenities of a new car but a modernized vision of the body style. And we should ALL go back to wearing three piece suits and pocket watches.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Halfway through the first season of Hannibal and I’m really enjoying it. It’s a few years old... think they did 3 seasons... you can find it on Netflix. Pretty dark and very well shot.

You probably already finished the whole series and have your own opinion but how great was season 1 - then season 3 was just bad. Season 2 had its moments and I did enjoyed it though there was a drop off from season 1.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I think I watched first 4 seasons of Vikings and than kind of gave it up. I liked it but it kind of just left my radar. Am I missing much since the 4th season? If so, maybe I'll pick it up again?

Kind of the same. My wife and I started Vikings this year in part based on the recommendations I got here but we decided to take a break after seasons 4. Don't know if it will worth it to finish watching the rest of the show.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I'm halfway through season one of Altered Carbon and every episode I'm debating whether I like it or not. And I still don't know.

Strangers Things Season 3 was fantastic. Liked Picard a lot as well.

Personal preference and taste are by definition subjective but I "endured" almost all of the episodes of the first season of Altered Carbon with the same "debate" going and finally dropped it without watching the final 2-4 episodes which I rarely do.

Reactions: Maximus

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
What’s everyone’s thoughts on Peaky Blinders? I had watched the first two seasons when it came out but I decided to start from the beginning last week. Just finished season 3 and I love most of it.

Tommy is Tommy. If anything, everyone else holds him back. He’s a bastard and a genius, and made off coffin nails.

Arthur I’m really sympathetic toward. Poor guy is the older brother but between a broken head and just not being as smart as Tommy, he’s always like the poor schmuck of the family. And despite being a horrible person (like everyone in the show) he’s actually sweet in his way.

Pol and Ada piss me off. Polly would be a bad ass but she’s also a shit show and acts like she never makes a mistake or has a secret and constantly nags Tommy whenever he does. But Tommy, consequences or no, comes out on top more often than anyone else... certainly Polly.

I like Michael. I can already predict the inevitable conflict with Tommy because Michael is the most like him and the most capable of actually plotting a takeover. Despite this, I actually like him for a lot of the same reasons I like Tommy.

And Alfie. It’s Jewish Bane. Shalom Arthur.

Great sound track. Fantastic wardrobes and cars. Someone ought to manufacture modernized model-Ts with all of the amenities of a new car but a modernized vision of the body style. And we should ALL go back to wearing three piece suits and pocket watches.

I think the consensus around here (and mostly everywhere) is that Peaky Blinders among the best shows out there.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Personal preference and taste are by definition subjective but I "endured" almost all of the episodes of the first season of Altered Carbon with the same "debate" going and finally dropped it without watching the final 2-4 episodes which I rarely do.

I got halfway through season 2, episode 1 and I'm just done with it.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
I still refer folks ot Orphan Black and Counterpart if you like sci-fi based thrillers.
Lately watching High Fidelity on Hulu and Beecham House on PBS

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Started watching the Night Manager on Amazon and I can't stop watching it. Very very good. Highly recommend it to anyone who's looking for a show.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I still refer folks ot Orphan Black and Counterpart if you like sci-fi based thrillers.
Lately watching High Fidelity on Hulu and Beecham House on PBS

Definitely second Counterpart as highly recommended. I haven’t heard of Orphan Black though but since you put them next to each other - I have to give it a try. Where can I find it?

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Definitely second Counterpart as highly recommended. I haven’t heard of Orphan Black though but since you put them next to each other - I have to give it a try. Where can I find it?
I believe Orphan Black is on Amazon lately. Maybe elsewhere, the ~5 season run ended ~3 years back
It was on BBC America, if you have cable that includes BBCA, OB may be there OnDemand

I have a free account at ReelGood.com where you designate your services, and you can look up any series or film, it will tell you where available. And you can set 'want to watch' it will notify you when that title comes to your services

Orphan Black is sci fi thriller about cloning and conspiracies, based on as real science as they can. Lead actress plays multiple roles, often in scenes as 2 or 3 characters (famous christmas dance party scene features all 4 main not-evil clones)

Last edited:
Reactions: kovazub94

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I finally took a few of my friends I have in my longtime fantasy baseball leauge and they recommended I give Yellowstone a watch. So I'm about to start it. Has anyone watched it and can give me some feedback as to whether I'm wasting my time or that it's a solid show....thx in advance

Desdichado93

Jan 7, 2012
Sweden
Three severely underrated shows that I cannot recommend enough:

1. Escape at Dannemora (Hulu)
2. Patriot (Amazon)
3. Fleabag (Amazon)

I Finished this miniseries (7 episodes) yesterday and I concur with Carlos, it is really good and Patricia Arquette is really shining in her role.

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Absolutely love Schitt's Creek. Eugene Levy and his son are absolutely brilliant.

I've finally, on my third attempt, been able to get into Parks and Recreation. About halfway through the third season.

Schitt’s Creek is the kind of show that seems universally enjoyable. My fiancé and I, in our early 30s loved it. We introduced my folks, in their mid 60s to it and they loved it. It’s just a good show.

Parks and Rec... it can be so cringey but ultimately the characters are engaging and it’s fun. Ron, Chris Trager, Andy are my favorites.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Am about too start watching "Yellowstone" on Amazon. A couple of friends in my longtime fantasy baseball league recommended it too me and said I wouldn't regret it.

So I ask some of my goombas in here....has anyone seen it and will I like it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad