OT: What show should I watch next?

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I thought it was dope all the way through. Did not expect nor was I surprised by the ending. Very effective. Sandler can be a very good actor as is the case here and in Punch Drunk Love. Not a great actor, you'll probably never get a 10/10 performance out of him ever. But come on. It's Adam Sandler and it's a dope movie.

Edit: not a Jew

Appreciate the input. I may be being overly harsh. I liked most of it but there were parts that I thought was just blah. The girl Sandler was dating was excellent besides being hot and gorgeous.

Reactions: motopanekeku

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I thought it was dope all the way through. Did not expect nor was I surprised by the ending. Very effective. Sandler can be a very good actor as is the case here and in Punch Drunk Love. Not a great actor, you'll probably never get a 10/10 performance out of him ever. But come on. It's Adam Sandler and it's a dope movie.

Edit: not a Jew

I was thinking more about it, I think I felt very dissatisfied with the way it ended and I was like..huh..really?....Big whup!. For example you remember towards the end of the Departed when a triumphant DiCaprio gets his brains blown away in the elevator after finally capturing Matt Damon and he was going to get him some justice? I'm sure I'm not the only one when they first saw that scene they were like "holy f'n shit I didn't see that coming"...I was genuinely shocked, upset and pissed...great directing.

Well in this ending in this movie Uncut Gems, the triumphant Sandler, who finally gets his big win with his bet on KG and the Celtics and all is going to be well, gets his brains blown out, tho I was a bit surprised, I wasn't upset at all and kind of felt oddly fine about it seeing his character was so very unlikable.

I never really rooted for him at all as I thought he was a total scum bucket and I thought Sandler himself...his acting really kind of sucked and so I just felt big f'n deal. It didn't bother me at all that he got blown away and that's typically not like me.

So just like the movie, it really had no redeeming value and won't watch it again unlike a movie like Departed which I've watched 5-6 times.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I finally started Watchmen after a lot of resistance. I didn't like Damon Linedlof because Star Trek: Into Darkness was a disgrace and Cowboys and Aliens was one of the most boring movies I've ever seen. Plus Alan Moore isn't involved so I immediately wrote it off. However, I made a "covid free time" promise to a close friend on the other part of the country and.....

Wow it's great. Definitely it's own thing but I like the direction it went and being true to the comics (The Squid etc).

Does it get better than episode 1 and a half or is that pretty much par for the course? I loved the movie, but totally didn’t get into the show.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Halfway through the first season of Hannibal and I’m really enjoying it. It’s a few years old... think they did 3 seasons... you can find it on Netflix. Pretty dark and very well shot.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Halfway through the first season of Hannibal and I’m really enjoying it. It’s a few years old... think they did 3 seasons... you can find it on Netflix. Pretty dark and very well shot.
I've watched the whole thing...I didn't care for the last season whatsoever

Reactions: kovazub94

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Ragnar is one of the coolest characters in TV history.

Lagertha is absolutely gorgeous.

Great show.

I think I watched first 4 seasons of Vikings and than kind of gave it up. I liked it but it kind of just left my radar. Am I missing much since the 4th season? If so, maybe I'll pick it up again?

motopanekeku

abnormally high
Aug 23, 2009
I was thinking more about it, I think I felt very dissatisfied with the way it ended and I was like..huh..really?....Big whup!. For example you remember towards the end of the Departed when a triumphant DiCaprio gets his brains blown away in the elevator after finally capturing Matt Damon and he was going to get him some justice? I'm sure I'm not the only one when they first saw that scene they were like "holy f'n shit I didn't see that coming"...I was genuinely shocked, upset and pissed...great directing.

Well in this ending in this movie Uncut Gems, the triumphant Sandler, who finally gets his big win with his bet on KG and the Celtics and all is going to be well, gets his brains blown out, tho I was a bit surprised, I wasn't upset at all and kind of felt oddly fine about it seeing his character was so very unlikable.

I never really rooted for him at all as I thought he was a total scum bucket and I thought Sandler himself...his acting really kind of sucked and so I just felt big f'n deal. It didn't bother me at all that he got blown away and that's typically not like me.

So just like the movie, it really had no redeeming value and won't watch it again unlike a movie like Departed which I've watched 5-6 times.
But that apathy you felt at the end of Uncut Gems was by design. It's the result of the mixed emotions that the character elicits from the viewer throughout the movie. After 2 hours or so of this guy's chaotic lifestyle it literally doesn't matter what happens at the end, we're exhausted, exasperated and maybe a little numb by then. I see it as an effective statement of closure. Chaos breeds chaos. End film.

I've been meaning to rewatch The Departed. I remember it being very good all the way through but VERY different in tone and style than Uncut Gems.

Edit: and now I'm sitting here thinking about the end of Uncut Gems and I appreciate it more and more. Thinking about the families, the scumbags, the innocents, effing Kevin Garnett. Idk I loved the movie I thought it worked.

Last edited:

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I think I watched first 4 seasons of Vikings and than kind of gave it up. I liked it but it kind of just left my radar. Am I missing much since the 4th season? If so, maybe I'll pick it up again?

Funny... I started season 5 then got away from it. I’d like to go back and finish it at some point, but the first 3-4 seasons were awesome.

Reactions: Maximus

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Russian 5 is really good. So too is Red Army. Tough guy is a good watch.

Sorry, I know not shows but all hockey related and very good.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Russian 5 is really good. So too is Red Army. Tough guy is a good watch.

Sorry, I know not shows but all hockey related and very good.

Are these Soviet Red Army shows documentary or series? Too lazy to find out...lol. And is it on Netflix or Amazon...something like that?

I think I saw Tough Guy a few years ago as it's about the life of a hockey enforcer...yes? I know I saw one enforcer show that was about Chris Nilan and I saw another one with Derek Boogieman. Very very good docs as was blown away what NHL enforcers go thru and did go thru to stay in the league.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Are these Soviet Red Army shows documentary or series? Too lazy to find out...lol. And is it on Netflix or Amazon...something like that?

I think I saw Tough Guy a few years ago as it's about the life of a hockey enforcer...yes? I know I saw one enforcer show that was about Chris Nilan and I saw another one with Derek Boogieman. Very very good docs as was blown away what NHL enforcers go thru and did go thru to stay in the league.
All three are stand alone documentaries. And yes, on Netflix and Amazon.

The Tough Guy that I saw was about Bob Probert. It's funny, the opening sequence was the Domi fight and subsequent rematch. But a good watch. And sad overall.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
All three are stand alone documentaries. And yes, on Netflix and Amazon.

The Tough Guy that I saw was about Bob Probert. It's funny, the opening sequence was the Domi fight and subsequent rematch. But a good watch. And sad overall.

Cheers TB...I'll check them out!

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
I'm halfway through season one of Altered Carbon and every episode I'm debating whether I like it or not. And I still don't know.

Strangers Things Season 3 was fantastic. Liked Picard a lot as well.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I'm halfway through season one of Altered Carbon and every episode I'm debating whether I like it or not. And I still don't know.

Strangers Things Season 3 was fantastic. Liked Picard a lot as well.

I watched one episode of Altered Carbon and didn't continue. Possible mistake but it just didn't capture me. I was late to the game with Stranger Things as I binged all three season about 6 months ago and got hooked...hook line and sinker. Can't wait for Season 4. Hopefully that with things loosening up a bit on the Covid front, shows and movies can start to get going again...we'll see.

Baby Duck Homme

Still waiting to catch a puck from Fotiu...
Sep 14, 2005
Jersey City NJ
I’ve been watching Deep Space Nine. Almost done with season 5. Good nostalgia watch. I watched Back to School last night on cable and forgot Jadzia Dax was in it.

Reactions: Crease

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
OK boys...I got you a show that you need to binge. It's called "Zero Zero Zero and it's on Amazon Prime. If you like Narcos, the amazing 4 season series on Netflix as much as I have, this show is a no brainer. Withought giving away too much it's about the shit that goes on when a shipment of cocaine from one of these Mexican cartels needs to get to a
Mafia crime family in Italy and they use a ship run by this American family from New Orleans.

And when I shit goes down I do mean SHIT GOES DOWN!!. Amazing acting, engrossing story line. Guaranteed you will get hooked...hook line and sinker. Oh and your welcome for suggesting this one...lol.

That said, now that I finished Zero Zero Zero, I just started watching first season of The Sinner and I'm already hooked 2 episodes in. Has anyone seen this series that apparently is a USA Network show but the first two season are on Netflix?

Desdichado93

Jan 7, 2012
Sweden
OK boys...I got you a show that you need to binge. It's called "Zero Zero Zero and it's on Amazon Prime. If you like Narcos, the amazing 4 season series on Netflix as much as I have, this show is a no brainer. Withought giving away too much it's about the shit that goes on when a shipment of cocaine from one of these Mexican cartels needs to get to a
Mafia crime family in Italy and they use a ship run by this American family from New Orleans.

And when I shit goes down I do mean SHIT GOES DOWN!!. Amazing acting, engrossing story line. Guaranteed you will get hooked...hook line and sinker. Oh and your welcome for suggesting this one...lol.

That said, now that I finished Zero Zero Zero, I just started watching first season of The Sinner and I'm already hooked 2 episodes in. Has anyone seen this series that apparently is a USA Network show but the first two season are on Netflix?

It has been mentioned before in the thread and there is also a thread about it.
TV: - ZeroZeroZero

nyrage

Aug 2, 2005
Houston, TX
Funny... I started season 5 then got away from it. I’d like to go back and finish it at some point, but the first 3-4 seasons were awesome.

I've watched Vikings all the way through. It was a challenge at first without Ragnar. The show started doing some frustrating "artistic" things during battles and other scenes that were kind of head-scratchers.

The focus switches to his sons (and their own battles for power) and of course the beautiful Lagertha. She's a great character. I think I kept watching just because of Lagertha. Katheryn Winnick is amazing. She's of Ukrainian descent and was born in Canada. She didn't start speaking English until she was 8. She got a black belt by age 13 and opened up 3 Taekwondo schools by age 21.

The 8th season is the last and it was broken down into 2 sets of 10 episodes. The second set hasn't aired yet. Overall, the next 4 seasons don't compare to the first 4. There are some boring parts (Floki in Iceland was the worst), but some very good parts. Overall, it's still pretty watchable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad