OT: What show should I watch next?

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Justified was a great show....have loved Oliphant since seeing him on Deadwood.

If I had had a son instead of two daughters, I would have named him Raylan...lol

I’ve said on other occasions, that IMO Justified is the greatest TV series in history that most people have either not watched or never even heard about either/or.

Just thinking about characters like a Boyd Crowder, Dickie Bennett, Wynn Duffy, Mags Bennett, Raylans Dad Arlo Givens and how great and at times funny they were, makes me want to give Justified another ride while we still are in lockdown...hmmm what to do what to do.

Deleted member 23124

If I had had a son instead of two daughters, I would have named him Raylan...lol

I’ve said on other occasions, that IMO Justified is the greatest TV series in history that most people have either not watched or never even heard about either/or.

Just thinking about characters like a Boyd Crowder, Dickie Bennett, Wynn Duffy, Mags Bennett, Raylans Dad Arlo Givens and how great and at times funny they were, makes me want to give Justified another ride while we still are in lockdown...hmmm what to do what to do.
Funny thing about Justified....even though I liked Oliphant, the only reason I really tuned in was Walton Goggins.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Funny thing about Justified....even though I liked Oliphant, the only reason I really tuned in was Walton Goggins.

Well your probably not alone in that train of thought. I'm apparently more of a fan of Oliphant than you are seeing his superb portrayal of Raylan Givens was the absolute perfect foil for Goggins Boyd Crowder.

I mean one withought the other, either character isn't as memorable which is why I got hooked from the get go and watched the show because it was so well written and funny at the same time. But I hear ya...Goggins was phenomenal in his role but so was Oliphant.

The only character in the whole series that I thought sucked was Michael Rapaport in his role of Daryle Crow. God was he awful and I do mean god awful. Him being from NYC and his horrific southern accent was something I just couldn't get past and he never ever convinced me otherwise.

Other than that tho, every other character was perfect.

Deleted member 23124

Well your probably not alone in that train of thought. I'm apparently more of a fan of Oliphant than you are seeing his superb portrayal of Raylan Givens was the absolute perfect foil for Goggins Boyd Crowder.

I mean one withought the other, either character isn't as memorable which is why I got hooked from the get go and watched the show because it was so well written and funny at the same time. But I hear ya...Goggins was phenomenal in his role but so was Oliphant.

The only character in the whole series that I thought sucked was Michael Rapaport in his role of Daryle Crow. God was he awful and I do mean god awful. Him being from NYC and his horrific southern accent was something I just couldn't get past and he never ever convinced me otherwise.

Other than that tho, every other character was perfect.
It wasn't that I wasn't a fan of Oliphant -- as I said I thought he was good in Deadwood -- but Goggins was fresh off his great performance on The Shield and that was the big selling point for me. If not for Goggins, I would not have watched it immediately.

I'm curious -- what did you think of Hell on Wheels?

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Not sure if it’s been mentioned here but the last dance has been terrific so far. Really cool if you grew up watching those bull teams of the 90’s

Yeah no doubt, this documentary has been very good. For us Knick fans, tonight once again reminded all of us of all those disappointing curb stompings to them, tho us fans did get teased by giving the Bulls all that they could handle.

Jordan tho every time we started to get our hopes up, would always hit the big shot, make the big defensive play and break our hearts.

Last edited:
Reactions: bl02

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
It wasn't that I wasn't a fan of Oliphant -- as I said I thought he was good in Deadwood -- but Goggins was fresh off his great performance on The Shield and that was the big selling point for me. If not for Goggins, I would not have watched it immediately.

I'm curious -- what did you think of Hell on Wheels?

Goggins was great in the Shield no doubt but you would have found your way to Justified eventually from what I've come to know of you.

As far as Hell on Wheels, I've never seen it and so can't give you any opinion about it. Is this a show that I should watch? From what I just read on Wikipedia as I never really heard of it, the plot seems interesting tho the reception to it has been mixed.

Do you highly recommend it?

Deleted member 23124

Goggins was great in the Shield no doubt but you would have found your way to Justified eventually from what I've come to know of you.

As far as Hell on Wheels, I've never seen it and so can't give you any opinion about it. Is this a show that I should watch? From what I just read on Wikipedia as I never really heard of it, the plot seems interesting tho the reception to it has been mixed.

Do you highly recommend it?
Oh I definitely would have gotten to Justified...that opening scene in Miami was enough.

Hell on Wheels is something I haven't gotten back to...I saw the pilot episode and liked it enough to know I wanted to see more....I was trying to keep up with so much stuff at that time....and I do like Anson Mount (especially after his appearance on Star Trek Discovery).

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
The final season of The Affair was pretty bad. Sloppy storytelling and weak, cobbled together ending.

As an aside, I was also disappointed by the series finale of Homeland.

Agree with the former, disagree with the later but to each his own.

Anything specifically that caused your disappointment? I mean the ends were tied pretty well so it's got to be that the story overall wasn't exiting for you (or yet something else?)

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Agree with the former, disagree with the later but to each his own.

Anything specifically that caused your disappointment? I mean the ends were tied pretty well so it's got to be that the story overall wasn't exiting for you (or yet something else?)

Admittedly, I didn't find the storyline of the last episode that exciting/compelling.

Most of what drove Homeland was there was always something on the line — to the point that some of the things that Carrie did (and got away with) were convoluted. And that was so up until the last 20 minutes. And then there didn't seem to be much on the line at all as the fallout was either unexplained or miniscule.

They also lost some compelling storylines (Carrie's daughter, Carrie's mental illness) seemed to fall by the wayside. Her mental illness was certainly something that could have been used for a compelling ending (is the entire thing a delusion of her illness? Is she a double agent? Is she finally compromised because of her mental illness?). Lots of fertile ground to play in.

To me it seemed like someone thought the spine of the book device was terribly clever and used to create a ending that didn't really do much.

Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: kovazub94

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Admittedly, I didn't find the storyline of the last episode that exciting/compelling.

Most of what drove Homeland was there was always something on the line — to the point that some of the things that Carrie did (and got away with) were convoluted. And that was so up until the last 20 minutes. And then there didn't seem to be much on the line at all as the fallout was either unexplained or miniscule.

They also lost some compelling storylines (Carrie's daughter, Carrie's mental illness) seemed to fall by the wayside. Her mental illness was certainly something that could have been used for a compelling ending (is the entire thing a delusion of her illness? Is she a double agent? Is she finally compromised because of her mental illness?). Lots of fertile ground to play in.

To me it seemed like someone thought the spine of the book device was terribly clever and used to create a ending that didn't really do much.

Just my 2 cents.

Interesting. We can’t discuss what was on the line without giving away a major piece of the story so I will only say that I seriously disagree here. The “daughter” motivation was also very tied-in with what was on the other side of the scale. All IMO of course

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Oh I definitely would have gotten to Justified...that opening scene in Miami was enough.

Hell on Wheels is something I haven't gotten back to...I saw the pilot episode and liked it enough to know I wanted to see more....I was trying to keep up with so much stuff at that time....and I do like Anson Mount (especially after his appearance on Star Trek Discovery).

Hell on Wheels was Deadwood light. Deadwood is my personal favorite show, I think it's the best show I have ever watched. Hell on Wheels was a different kind of show, the writing and pool of actors was not even close to DW. However, it's still not too bad. Anson Mount was great in it, so if you like him as an actor you will not be disappointed.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
the last kingdom is very good. blowing thru that right now.

bosch seemed to drag for me after the first few episodes. need to get back to it again.

hoping S2 of the bodyguard happens. David Budd is very good. very homeland like.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
The final season of The Affair was pretty bad. Sloppy storytelling and weak, cobbled together ending.

As an aside, I was also disappointed by the series finale of Homeland.
The Affair should have stopped after the first seasons once the Brendan Frasier hallucinations began (never mind the ex’s romance with the doctor) began, I lost interest, though my girlfriend continued to love it (but maybe that’s because she has the hots for Joshua Jackson).

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
The Affair should have stopped after the first seasons once the Brendan Frasier hallucinations began (never mind the ex’s romance with the doctor) began, I lost interest, though my girlfriend continued to love it (but maybe that’s because she has the hots for Joshua Jackson).

The Affair was an ambitious show with an interesting premise. It fell apart seemingly very quickly, because:

1) The device of breaking an episode up into to two halves each told from a different characters' POV was really intriguing. But it is also hard write and sustain.

2) It really suffered when the two lead characters (Noah and Alison) became less interesting than two support characters (Helen and Cole).

3) The first two obstacles for moving plot forward. And maybe things happened too quickly in the first two seasons (which was clearly the best of the series).

4) And so the writers kind of write themselves in the corner and resort to things such as unexplained passing of time, things just happening and rather than developing existing characters, they create new ones that we're given no reason to care about.

5) I honestly believe that there was only a final season because they were forced to fulfill a contract (or something along those lines). It felt like honoring a commitment, rather than bring a series to an end Without Cole (I thought Josh Jackson was the best part of the show, but for different reasons than your girlfriend) and Alison, the show lost one half of the tension, drama and dynamic. And the ending was slap-dash and borderline insulting. The only thing that might have been more insipid was the adult Joanie storyline and the dystopian future (or whatever that was).

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
The Affair was an ambitious show with an interesting premise. It fell apart seemingly very quickly, because:

1) The device of breaking an episode up into to two halves each told from a different characters' POV was really intriguing. But it is also hard write and sustain.

2) It really suffered when the two lead characters (Noah and Alison) became less interesting than two support characters (Helen and Cole).

3) The first two obstacles for moving plot forward. And maybe things happened too quickly in the first two seasons (which was clearly the best of the series).

4) And so the writers kind of write themselves in the corner and resort to things such as unexplained passing of time, things just happening and rather than developing existing characters, they create new ones that we're given no reason to care about.

5) I honestly believe that there was only a final season because they were forced to fulfill a contract (or something along those lines). It felt like honoring a commitment, rather than bring a series to an end Without Cole (I thought Josh Jackson was the best part of the show, but for different reasons than your girlfriend) and Alison, the show lost one half of the tension, drama and dynamic. And the ending was slap-dash and borderline insulting. The only thing that might have been more insipid was the adult Joanie storyline and the dystopian future (or whatever that was).
Couldn’t agree more with this assessment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad