What should the NHL's post-lockout marketing strategy be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
I'm thinking it should focus on the rule changes making the game more fast paced and high scoring. You know, "Back and BETTER THAN EVER."

And personally, I'd like to see a return of some of the quasi-vintage jerseys. 80s Caps jersey, 90s Canucks skate logo, early 90s Sabres jersey, etc.

What do you guys think?

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
kmad said:
I'm thinking it should focus on the rule changes making the game more fast paced and high scoring. You know, "Back and BETTER THAN EVER."

And personally, I'd like to see a return of some of the quasi-vintage jerseys. 80s Caps jersey, 90s Canucks skate logo, early 90s Sabres jersey, etc.

What do you guys think?

Yea I agree, retro looks are the best. I also think it should focus on rule changes...

I also think that they should focus on building up old rivalries. Rumor has it that the schedule will feature more interdivision games, bringing back rivalries of the past...more Rangers-Islanders-Phily games...more calgary-edmonton etc. The rule changes ("new NHL") along with the old rivalries can appeal to both new and old fans.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
nyrmessier011 said:
Yea I agree, retro looks are the best. I also think it should focus on rule changes...

I also think that they should focus on building up old rivalries. Rumor has it that the schedule will feature more interdivision games, bringing back rivalries of the past...more Rangers-Islanders-Phily games...more calgary-edmonton etc. The rule changes ("new NHL") along with the old rivalries can appeal to both new and old fans.
The downside to that, like it was in last years schedule was that it meant just as much of Nashville and columbus on the schedule while we only got to see Philly on the road.

For the draft lottery as a presentation, the lottery should be held and they can countdown the picks 30 to 1. Tell me that would have you on pins and needles.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
nyrmessier011 said:

But this all focuses on the past... I think that going 'retro' (i.e. 'back to the roots') is an inconsistent message to the new and improved Bettman NHL... It would be a farce, IMO, to watch the old Montreal jerseys playing against the old Toronto jerseys with the new rules, new game, and new 'look and feel' of the NHL (with different rules, different business and hockey environment, it's a different game)... To be consistent with the 'new' NHL, introduce new jerseys, new ice surface, new rink decorations, new mascots, etc... a new 're-branding' for a new product...

Just like New Coke...

If the 'New NHL' falls flat in the NHL's face and they go back to the game's roots, THEN bring back the retro jerseys, old rivalries, etc... and re-brand it as 'NHL Classic'...

skellart

Jan 24, 2005
Chattown
chiavsfan said:
How many of these threads open a week...10?

there should be a back button on your browser. Try using it and you won't have to read these threads that appear here 10 times a week. Go ahead, give it a try.

equipe

Jun 13, 2005
Toronto
The NHL is going to have to spend some serious $ on advertising to get people interested in the states again. Someone brought up those goalie adverts from a few years back, those were classics, but they didn't follow up with anything. This time some fast paced, funny, and creative ads over a long period of time (but constantly changing) would be good. If you advertising makes the news, you know you've done something right. It'll be a challange for the league, and I'm not too sure they won't drop the ball.

WC Handy*

The only marketing plan that's going to have any effect is one that promotes the new more exciting NHL and it's only going to work if the game on the ice is actually more exciting.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
kmad said:

What do you guys think?

NHL...we're not just annoying talking heads and lockouts anymore

:p:

Patman

Feb 23, 2004
www.stat.uconn.edu
Absolutely slash merchandise prices (replica jerseys, authentics). Nothing says marketing like word of mouth omnipresence.

Beyond that the NHL has to be true to the sport and earn back respect. You don't do that by being 'cool' or any other going notion of popularity... conformity is not the road. National advertising should not be the focus but rather regional advertising... this is all re-building, I personally think the NHL can get more out of thinking locally then trying to think nationally... put the advert resources more on the side of the teams... let Nike and Bud do your talking at the national level, let them spend their money.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
The best way to sell the game is to get people to go....every seat in the upper level in every arena should be $5-$10. Cut merchandise prices and parking prices. Make it affordable for families to go. Any seat unsold on gameday should go down to $5. The owners need to be willing to lose a lot of money this year in order to build a fan base for the future.

MarkZackKarl

Jun 29, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
kasper11 said:
The best way to sell the game is to get people to go....every seat in the upper level in every arena should be $5-$10. Cut merchandise prices and parking prices. Make it affordable for families to go. Any seat unsold on gameday should go down to $5. The owners need to be willing to lose a lot of money this year in order to build a fan base for the future.

This isn't 1976 :biglaugh:

DevilsFan

Jun 2, 2005
nyrmessier011 said:

Hey what about Rangers-Devils-Islanders-Flyers rivalries?! :dunno:

Weary

Jul 1, 2003
kmad said:
I cancelled my season tickets because of the rule changes. I assume they feel those changes will result in a net gain of fans. That means they will likely try to highlight them.

Murphy*

kasper11 said:

Even tickets to OHL games are more expensive than that. But I agree, dropping prices would seem logical. Short term losses for long term gains.

Weary

Jul 1, 2003
I in the Eye said:
But this all focuses on the past... I think that going 'retro' (i.e. 'back to the roots') is an inconsistent message to the new and improved Bettman NHL... It would be a farce, IMO, to watch the old Montreal jerseys playing against the old Toronto jerseys with the new rules, new game, and new 'look and feel' of the NHL (with different rules, different business and hockey environment, it's a different game)... To be consistent with the 'new' NHL, introduce new jerseys, new ice surface, new rink decorations, new mascots, etc... a new 're-branding' for a new product...

Just like New Coke...
This brings up a good point. If it really is the new NHL, it should be new all around. Every team should be required to do a uniform redesign -- especially the original six. They should make a flat-out statement that this isn't the NHL the way it used to be. Changing the ice surface color, the color of the lines, the referees uniforms, the NHL logo, and the teams' logos should all be priorities. They should also dispose of the Stanley Cup and have a newly designed award that is more fitting for modern hockey.

StanTheMan

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
one thing they should not do is hold some sort of farcical exhibition do-dah in the preseason to generate excitement. nonsense. bah. just hold the preseason on schedule and start the season on time, and i'll be happy.

fischer8

Jul 9, 2004
Going with the same thought of dropping ticket prices....what about a once-a-month reduced ticket game? Have a matinee game on a Saturday and have lower ticket prices and try to get families to come on those days. People always say that when you see a game in person, you get hooked, well give people the chance to see a game in person.

Patman

Feb 23, 2004
www.stat.uconn.edu
Weary said:
This brings up a good point. If it really is the new NHL, it should be new all around. Every team should be required to do a uniform redesign -- especially the original six. They should make a flat-out statement that this isn't the NHL the way it used to be. Changing the ice surface color, the color of the lines, the referees uniforms, the NHL logo, and the teams' logos should all be priorities. They should also dispose of the Stanley Cup and have a newly designed award that is more fitting for modern hockey.

OK, this is exactly the wrong way to go about it because all the new designs are going to be reminscent of what people percieve to be futuristic and progressive. Think the Nike jersey monstrosities but worse... its all a false image and an act of desperation. All the other attempts at re-branding has met with failure and to me more of the same means more failure. Radically changing the image will be a step into the joke league abyss.

edit: The new NHL standpoint is the wrong way since this is the image that has been promoted in the years prior to the lockout... it'd be like throwing a sticker saying "more hip than ever"... kinda like a "Fred Astaire sings hip hop"... just wrong on many levels. It should be more the NHL as it is and not a fantasy land of selling a futuristic image and artsy rollerhockey jerseys. That isn't to say some teams don't stand a change or two... but a lot of these "new" ideas smack of the same old song and dance.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I think the very first thing should be jump right into that contraction program plan and start folding teams or grap your 10 worst and see if Bain LLC is interested in a partial purchase. They could call theirs the WHA ..

I think WHA is quite fitting as it stands for Will Hinder All if they remain with the NHL ..

VinnyVinnyVici

Mar 16, 2004
Dade City, FL
The Messenger said:
I think the very first thing should be jump right into that contraction program plan and start folding teams or grap your 10 worst and see if Bain LLC is interested in a partial purchase. They could call theirs the WHA ..

I think WHA is quite fitting as it stands for Will Hinder All if they remain with the NHL ..

:biglaugh: :shakehead :propeller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->