What Should The Caps Future Be?

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
They're 4-5-1 to start the year looking decent at times and underwhelming at other times. It's clear they still have a core that can make the playoffs with Ovie, Holtby, Backstrom, Carlson and Oshie, but it's also clear that it's not very likely that they'll really contend for a cup. Anything can happen with Holtby and Ovie, but it's going to be a tough climb.

What do you guys think they should do? Rebuild entirely, retool or try and upgrade?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Everyone is now judging the Capitals on their playoff success, including their own players.

As long as they make it, anything is possible at this point.

Reactions: Daxi

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
They're where the Pens were around 2011-14; top heavy, but not much depth and not much coming up through the system.

So they've essentially got to hope some of their youngsters on ELCs/cheap contracts can contribute, and somehow get rid of bad contracts (I'm looking at you, Orpik) to open up a bit of cap room.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
do not rebuild

fire trotz

trade carlson

somehow get a good dmen from a trade

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
1) Fire Trotz - 2 years ago.
2) Buy-out Orpik - 2 years ago.
3) Move Bowey to NHL - last year.
4) Save Schmidt - past summer.
What to do now? It is simply too late to do anything.

Reactions: The Macho Man

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Should absolutely be in "go for it" mode.

They have the high end expensive pieces and depth is cheap. Their a top 3 favorite from the East still.

Add some depth(especially on defense) spread out the talent and go for it.
If it doesn't work, sell off in 5 years.

P.S. go find a new head coach.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
I'll maintain my stand I held since summer that they'll miss the playoffs. People underestimate the amount of talent they lost, without really adding anything to replace them.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Their depth is awful.

And even the "A" roster isn't good enough to win the cup IMO. The defense is just not enough. One top 4 dman could change that, but they don't have cap space..

Basically everything i and many others brought up in the off-season are already showing 10 games in.

I don't think this is the time to blow it up though.. all they really need is a piece or two, especially when you can expect improvement from at least some of their young guys next season.

Find a way to free cap space i'd say is the first step, looking at Orpik.

SB84

Jul 22, 2015
Calgary, AB
Why are so many people on the fire Trotz train? As someone who doesn't watch them regularly I am interested to know. My impression is that he's a great coach that gets the most out of his players and plays with a defined structure.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Why are so many people on the fire Trotz train? As someone who doesn't watch them regularly I am interested to know. My impression is that he's a great coach that gets the most out of his players and plays with a defined structure.

He doesn't, at least not anymore. It's time for him to go. His contract expires at the end of the year anyway.

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017

Trotz kept on ice the slowest and/or oldest capital defensemen against two fastest teams in NHL in two play-offs in a row. It was especially funny when he told everyone before the second play-off (vs Pens) that he made all necessary conclusions.

Last edited:

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I have them 6th in the east after Pittsburgh, Columbus, Tampa Bay, Ottawa and Toronto. They're not good enough to win the cup and they're not just 1 piece away. They need to retool but not necessarily a full rebuild

Last edited:

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Trade Orpik and bring in a better D (call Vegas, they like 2nd round picks and salary retention).
or dump him, should be a given

I'm not really worried about Washington. Sure they can miss the playoffs if they get hit hard by injuries but who gives a shit about a great regular season. Just get in, I'm sure the players have the same frame of mind yet. President trophy is such a lacklustre reward for a stellar season.

If Tampa made the playoffs as the 8th seed they could have done some damage, like they are doing right now.

Most important thing is Trotz needs to go. Schmidt is Vegas' best dmen and leading that team with 21min yet he was scratched constantly when every Caps fan knew he shouldn't have been

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Their high end pieces are too good to do a full scorched Earth rebuild. A re-tool is the way to go if they want a chance at the cup in the near future.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Camera opens on a Nuclear Wasteland that was at one point was Washington DC. Alexander Ovechkin, clad in shoulder pads and armed with his Bauer stick sharpened to a point on both ends, urges his battery powered segway forward through the desolate city. He was on his own, had been that way for as long as he could remember. He hums to himself as he passes blown out shops, dilapidated homes, an empty playground. At some point before the reckoning this had all been his, he had been one of the privileged few of the society before. OV grinned down proudly at his 600th goal puck, displayed on his pads above his heart. He had been one of the best at Ice Hockey, an absurd contest of physical ability played entirely on ice involving putting a rubber puck in a net by hitting it with a stick. Truly remarkable talent at this bizarre and trivial game that they had paid him millions for. He lived like a king, driving the fastest cars and attending the biggest parties. In the midst of what would of been another 50G season, everything had gone white and the world as he knew it had changed. His big house on the hill had been destroyed, and his model wife had been caught in the blast.
It was all over now, it had all crumbled before him, brought down in a flaming fury by the arrogance of man for reasons he would never understand. In some ways, he was still at the top. He ruled this territory, none of the other survivors would dare set foot in his districts. The last man that had tried to steal from him had been left bloody on the windshield of a Range Rover in a major intersection.
Alex had been wondering briefly if he could still put up 50 goals this season if they asked him too, when something clanged loudly off the side of his helmet. He pivoted clumsily on his trusty mechanical steed, still freshly painted proudly with the Russian colours of his birth on one wheel and the Capital's on the other. A half full Budweiser can lay at his feet. Alex looked out through his tinted visor, squinting through the wind and the blowing ash. A hooded figure sitting on a peddle bike and wearing a Penguins jersey idly thumbs a massive pipe wrench. He was impossibly thin, his legs gaunt not even testing the elastics of his sweat pants. From across the eternally gridlocked avenue the man nods a ghostly grin at the Russian Superstar. He grins with the same smug satisfaction all people exhibit whenever they feel any sort of pride in someone else's achievements, and yells "How's the second round taste bitch!".

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad