What should be the 'C'/'A' letter hierarchy?

theicebox

#MonixWatch
Jan 8, 2010
Pittsburgh
Simple question, what do you think should be the 'C' / 'A' hierarchy?

Currently, we have something like this:

C: Crosby
A: Malkin

A: Kunitz

A*: Scuderi
A**: Sutter

* = After one injury to Crosby / Malkin / Kunitz.
** = After two injuries to Crosby / Malkin / Kunitz.

Curious to see where people place Letang in particular.

Saku11

Jan 25, 2010
In this thread people will say they would want to see C on Malkin. If he had a bad stretch of games like he has every once in a while the same people would be crying what a terrible leader he is.Referring to the hate Crosby faces here.

systemsgo

fire mj
Apr 24, 2014
Not sure if I'm in the minority here, but I'd like Hornqvist as an A over Letang. I really like his compete level in each game, and how he handles himself when the team's composure is tested.

So probably 87, 71, 72, 58.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Not sure if I'm in the minority here, but I'd like Hornqvist as an A over Letang. I really like his compete level in each game, and how he handles himself when the team's composure is tested.

So probably 87, 71, 72, 58.

What Hornqvist does is the definition of leading by example. Not sure I'd give him an A over Letang, though.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Does everyone here realize Captain and Alternates only relate to being able to talk to the refs?

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Does everyone here realize Captain and Alternates only relate to being able to talk to the refs?

That's not all that true. I get what you are saying, but it does say something in the locker room. No matter what any player says, they want that C or A on their jersey. Taking it away from a player or giving it to a player can also set the tone in the locker room.

Will the decision ever win a game or have anything to do with the outcome? Absolutely not. But there is a sense of pride among players to be able to wear it. I guarantee you Letang would want to wear the A and represent the team that way. Giving one to #72, and taking it off #14, would send a message in that locker room on what "compete level" actually means.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

while that may be the book definition, I think there's more to it than that. Hockey is such a tradition, "code" sport. Having a letter on your sweater may mean nothing in reality, but I think it means a lot in the room.

And that's why letters never really meant much to me - I didn't think they meant anything, like you - and, really, i still don't. But they mean something to the players/teams. A few years ago, it seemed like the Pens had a lot of guys who were both responsible on the ice and seemed (key word here) like good leaders. Guys you'd want to have a letter.

Now, i'm angry that someone like Scuderi or Kunitz has a letter over Letang or Martin.

And if it's all about talking to the officials, I don't think Malkin or Kunitz should ever wear one. (That's not an insult to Malkin, it is an insult to Kunitz)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
It's not about the letters giving players the power to lead, it's about the message it sends by giving players the letters. You don't give guys like Kunitz or Scuderi an A. They're far too complacent/lazy, and a total detriment to the team. I don't want them to think what they're doing on the ice is fine because they've got a dumb letter stitched to their shoulder.

Mischa

Feb 11, 2012

By that criteria I'm not sure if crosby Malkin or letang should have it considering how reactionary they can be :sarcasm:

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
In a fully healthy lineup?

Crosby, Malkin, Letang. An it's as simple as that. Hornqvist being first injury alternate, then Martin or Sutter for 2nd and 3rd injury alternates.

Wolf Without a Howl

97% Mumps Free
Jan 25, 2013
If were ever lucky enough to get rid of Kunitz, Letang or Horny should get the A in his place. Sid and Geno obviously keep their respective letters.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
That's not all that true. I get what you are saying, but it does say something in the locker room. No matter what any player says, they want that C or A on their jersey. Taking it away from a player or giving it to a player can also set the tone in the locker room.

Will the decision ever win a game or have anything to do with the outcome? Absolutely not. But there is a sense of pride among players to be able to wear it. I guarantee you Letang would want to wear the A and represent the team that way. Giving one to #72, and taking it off #14, would send a message in that locker room on what "compete level" actually means.

Exactly. It's a symbol of leadership and it matters.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
I have no interest in giving Letang an A. It should be horny

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad