What should be expected of the Canucks’ top prospects this season?

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
http://hfloungers.wordpress.com/201...ted-of-the-canucks-top-prospects-this-season/

Please don't be too harsh, it is my first article ;)

Constructive criticism and on-topic discussion is encouraged!

Generally a good piece. Keep it up.

Three things that stood out to me:

- I like that you had Jensen slated to go down to the AHL.

- Ultra confidence in Kassian for this year.

- Gaunce having low upside: His shot, IQ, and vision have me more excited than most, but I can understand why his skating and play with the puck can foster the opposite opinion. Mixed on this one.

How Ya Drouin

12/08/13 GM GamesRIP
Apr 24, 2013
Ontario
Generally a good piece. Keep it up.

Three things that stood out to me:

- I like that you had Jensen slated to go down to the AHL.

- Ultra confidence in Kassian for this year.

- Gaunce having low upside: His shot, IQ, and vision have me more excited than most, but I can understand why his skating and play with the puck can foster the opposite opinion. Mixed on this one.

Generally? :cry: :sarcasm:

I can understand your stance on Gaunce, and I think he could be a 2nd line centre definitely. But maybe if we take the stance that he has stone-hands and low offensive upside, he'll develop into the new Kesler. Who knows?

enuck

Relax and enjoy
Jan 20, 2007
Under a palapa
I enjoyed the article sans Corrado. I would only suggest you get a proof reader for your first few articles if you have your sights set on a career in sports journalism, or if you just want your articles to have a broader appeal.

Writing is an artistic form of communication and trying to convey information succinctly is challenging. The ideal way to learn to write is to read differently - pay eclose attention to the writer's style, format, punctuation and grammar.
http://thehockeywriters.com/

Well done first timer. :handclap:

How Ya Drouin

12/08/13 GM GamesRIP
Apr 24, 2013
Ontario
I enjoyed the article sans Corrado. I would only suggest you get a proof reader for your first few articles if you have your sights set on a career in sports journalism, or if you just want your articles to have a broader appeal.

Writing is an artistic form of communication and trying to convey information succinctly is challenging. The ideal way to learn to write is to read differently - pay eclose attention to the writer's style, format, punctuation and grammar.
http://thehockeywriters.com/

Well done first timer. :handclap:

haha... did the Corrado section very very quickly... just reading through that one now and seeing how choppy it is :laugh:

Thanks for the constructive criticism!

Betamax*

http://hfloungers.wordpress.com/201...ted-of-the-canucks-top-prospects-this-season/

Please don't be too harsh, it is my first article ;)

Constructive criticism and on-topic discussion is encouraged!

I expect one or both of Gaunce/Hovart to stick with the Canucks. If not, that would be quite disappointing. But in general, I suspect we will see also see Corrado stick with the Canucks for most if not all of the season (especially if the Canucks don't sign any UFA defensemen of note) to fill out their projected NHL d-man roster.

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
I expect one or both of Gaunce/Hovart to stick with the Canucks. If not, that would be quite disappointing. But in general, I suspect we will see also see Corrado stick with the Canucks for most if not all of the season (especially if the Canucks don't sign any UFA defensemen of note) to fill out their projected NHL d-man roster.

Nice to see that you're putting realistic expectations on jr aged players.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
JI123 said:
The great thing about the Canucks owning the AHL team (as opposed to Chicago) is that they can put prospects like Jensen on the first line.
I have heard this a lot, but at the end of the day, Travis Green is still going to be coaching the team, and the Canucks/Comets do have to let him do his job. What the Canucks can now control is the fact that Jensen is on the roster and not a whole whack of AHL veterans likely to bump him down the depth chart. But surely playing time will still be the coach's call, unless we expect a full Billy Beane scenario where the manager is a figurehead for the GM's system.

My thoughts on Kassian is that he will turn in a decent, but not particularly exciting, season in the 35-40 point range. This ambiguous figure will create one of our famous divisions among the fanbase, with some insisting this proves he has offensive talent with nowhere to go but up, and others claiming that their grandma could score 30 points in the NHL and this proves that he has stone hands, etc.

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
Kassian - a step forward, 15-20-35

Schroeder - make the team and play as 3C

Horvat - excel in OHL or make team

Gaunce - see above

Shinkaruk - excel in WHL

Jensen - good year at AHL level

Corrado - good year at AHL level or make team

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
I have heard this a lot, but at the end of the day, Travis Green is still going to be coaching the team, and the Canucks/Comets do have to let him do his job. What the Canucks can now control is the fact that Jensen is on the roster and not a whole whack of AHL veterans likely to bump him down the depth chart. But surely playing time will still be the coach's call, unless we expect a full Billy Beane scenario where the manager is a figurehead for the GM's system.

My thoughts on Kassian is that he will turn in a decent, but not particularly exciting, season in the 35-40 point range. This ambiguous figure will create one of our famous divisions among the fanbase, with some insisting this proves he has offensive talent with nowhere to go but up, and others claiming that their grandma could score 30 points in the NHL and this proves that he has stone hands, etc.

It's this situation that makes the Job of being an AHL coach so difficult. The main job of the coaches is to develop the players into NHL players. The secondary job (which sounds wrong but it's true) is to win. Although if the coaches are developing the players properly then they should be winning at the AHL level.

Green's job is develop Jensen into a talent who can help him win the AHL and when his time comes can step up into the NHL. If Green can't do that then a) he won't win and b) he won't keep his job.

How Ya Drouin

12/08/13 GM GamesRIP
Apr 24, 2013
Ontario

Yeah this is true, but I think we can expect Green and the Canucks to communicate often throughout the year as to how they want Jensen and Corrado etc. to be developed. The AHL is primarily a development league for the young guys, and secondarily a competitive league. I think Green will be used to this philosophy, as he coached in the WHL.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
Kassian: consistent production, plays like a beast night in and night out. 15-20-35

Schroder: plays well both on the 2nd and 3rd line, clicks with linemates. 10-20-30

Jensen: Top scorer in Utica, comes up for a few games and blends right in. 35-30-65 (AHL)

Horvat: starts the season with the team, blends in well and produces on all 4 lines, depending on the first 10 games, he stays or gets sent back to London, where he leads the Knights to an OHL Championship once again. 35-40-75 (OHL)

Shinkaruk: Dominates WHL with his pure scoring, leads Tigers to a playoff birth. 50-35-85 (WHL)

Corrado: Leads Utica defense, matures into a solid two-way defenseman. 8-25-32 (AHL)

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I expect around 35-40 points for Schroeder. As a rookie he was on pace for 23 points, he needs to build on that.

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
The article was great! Very concise and not a pain in the arse to read. If someone was looking for general expectations regarding the top Canuck Prospects, I'd definitely link them to your article. It's a nice basis for non-Canuck fans to expand their research on.

Point productions would have been nice, but those are always hard to judge seeing as each team always has moving parts.

My guess:

Kassian: 20-22-42. A bit higher than most, but I feel like with the way he's trained, his opportunity to play with the Sedin's AND Tortorella's aspirations to have the youth more involved, Kassian's got a chance to take the reigns and ride.

Jensen: 30-30-60 in Utica. He'll be the top winger in Utica, playing with players that have been good in the AHL (Hamill or Santorelli specifically).

Schroeder: 10-25-35. If the stars align and Kassian is with the Sedin's and Kesler has Burrows and Hansen flanking him, Schroeder will have two tenacious forwards in Higgins and Booth making lots of room for him to work his magic. He's probably the best passer on the team outside of the Sedin's and he'll get beneficial match-ups.

Corrado: 5-25-30 in Utica. Not the most amazing offensive output, but his skating and defensive skills will make him the top 2-way defender in Utica and the first call-up of the season.

Gaunce: No idea. I'm on the shelf on whether he can crack the lineup on the 4th line (or as the 3rd line center) or if he'll go back to juniors. I think he should go to the WJC and impress ala Boone Jenner. But if he plays his way into the lineup (definite posssibility), then that's a good problem to have.

turkulad

Sep 27, 2011
Turku, Finland
Kassian: 20-22-42. A bit higher than most, but I feel like with the way he's trained, his opportunity to play with the Sedin's AND Tortorella's aspirations to have the youth more involved, Kassian's got a chance to take the reigns and ride.

Jensen: 30-30-60 in Utica. He'll be the top winger in Utica, playing with players that have been good in the AHL (Hamill or Santorelli specifically).

Schroeder: 10-25-35. If the stars align and Kassian is with the Sedin's and Kesler has Burrows and Hansen flanking him, Schroeder will have two tenacious forwards in Higgins and Booth making lots of room for him to work his magic. He's probably the best passer on the team outside of the Sedin's and he'll get beneficial match-ups.

Corrado: 5-25-30 in Utica. Not the most amazing offensive output, but his skating and defensive skills will make him the top 2-way defender in Utica and the first call-up of the season.

Gaunce: No idea. I'm on the shelf on whether he can crack the lineup on the 4th line (or as the 3rd line center) or if he'll go back to juniors. I think he should go to the WJC and impress ala Boone Jenner. But if he plays his way into the lineup (definite posssibility), then that's a good problem to have.

I agree with almost everything. I do think giving Corrado a chance in the bigs playing 3rd pair minutes is the one thing that gives away the youth movement mindset during this season. I also genuinely hope Gaunce gets his nine games and impresses us so we just have to let him stay. I'd be eager to see him being shuffled around the line-up, struggling at first to gain some ground but in the end stabilize himself on a third line basis. We'd have such great depth then that our fourth line could actually be a kind of a 3B, especially if Santorelli delivers stable NHL minutes, giving us Booth-Schroeder-Santorelli, Higgins-Gaunce-Weise/Richardson kind of a set-up.

hockeywoot

Oct 29, 2010
China
Kassian: Expect a good year. If he spends the year with the Sedins, he could easily crack 50. (15 to 20 goals)
I feel Torts will put him in a better spot to succeed. (There will be difficult points too undoubtedly)

Jensen: Top scorer in Utica. With the supposed delay of Booth, he will have a good shot at starting with the big club.
If that's the case I think he'll be 'okay' in his stint, but gets challenged by Torts. Gets sent down to AHL with specifics to work on, and improves his overall game.

Schroeder: Expect 30 to 35pts. Best case: 45 to 50pts. I think Torts will maximize his strengths.
I think his line will become the secondary scoring line. Kesler will get the 'plug' wingers.

Corrado: top pairing for Comets. good developmental year. while i'm certain he could crack our bottom pairing, I believe spending a year playing against men (and pwning) will be better. will get callups as reward/incentive

Gaunce: Challenges for 4C spot. I think he could crack the roster, Richardson sliding over to wing. Otherwise back to junior. IMO his trajectory is good 3C. I think he is ready now to contribute at the NHL level in a bottom 6 role.

Horvat: Possibly 9 game stint, but should ultimately go back to Junior for development.

Shinkaurk: Junior

Others: I think a number of our AHL boys could get short 'cup of coffee' stints in the bigs.
Archibald (if our 4th line plugs need a sit), Andersson (behind only Corrado on AHL depth chart), Lain (if Gaunce back to Junior)

Steps forward in development for Mallet, Blomstrand as well.

projected lineup:

Sedin Sedin Kassian
Higgins Kesler Hansen <---the main checking line. big minutes. heavy defensive assignments with offence. difficult to play against
Booth Schroeder Burrows
Richardson Gaunce Weise <----mostly defensive assignments, while contributing 'meaningful' minutes

Hamhuis Garrison
Edler Tanev
xxx Bieksa <--yes, im predicting Juice ends up in the dog-house
Weber

Luongo
Lack/Eriksson

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad