What should a #1 pick bring in a trade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leafaholix*

ax²+bx+c said:
I included him because he could certainly has some value in a such deal. While I don't like him, if he's given for free, it's a plus for him, the habs and the team that got him. He's got some skills after all, and a change of scenary could help him. Also, I've been including him in every proposal since two years so it doesn't change too much now.
Any team wanting a "throw in" or "free player" I'm sure would rather take a 2nd or 3rd round pick... there's much more value in picking a potential NHL player rather than getting a 23 (?) year old minor leaguer... who's just an absolutely awful player.

He has no value... there are guys over in Europe, NCAA, CHL, and in the AHL that are unsigned who are better than Hainsey. No team will take him on in a trade, especially not one this big.

It's almost like a Leaf fan offering up Luca Cereda.

JF

Résidences Soleil?
Apr 7, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
ax²+bx+c said:
That's not really important... A good goaltender is very easy to acquire in a trade. Let's just talk about Garon, the kings basically got him for a 3rd rounder. Look at Kiprusoff, the Flames got him for a 2nd rounder. While Boston is not a good trading partner, they'll soon have Toivonen and Raycroft ready for the #1 spot. One guy might go. Look at Philadelphia, they had Hackett and with a year they're now with Burke and Esche, a very solid duo. There's Vesa Toskala that could go away given a decent proposal. Also, there's nothing that tells me that Danis isn't able to do the job. Sure he's been struggling a little bit lately, but you gotta wonder if it's him or the team that really struggles. One year ago, Aebischer had to replace Roy and he did so wonderfully IMO. With a full year in the AHL, he (Danis) could be a fine replacement. There's also the UFA market; there's always the possibility to find a good goalie via free agency. With all the possibilities, you can certainly find a decent replacement. Just think about it, there's so many ways to find a decent goalie, yet just one to get Crosby.

I somewhat agree with you, it is more simple in recent years to acquire decent goaltenders, but it would be a risky move that could bite us it the a**, even more if the team chosing first at the draft is in the eastern conference. I do know that the player we would be getting in return is amazing, but I'm still not sure I would do that deal. Anyway, the first question to ask is, would the other team accept that deal in the first place?

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
So would a fair summary be 3 great prospects with great defined as...

Elite-Ovechkin Crosby Malkin
Great- Barker Ruutu Brule Johnson Jackman
Very Good-Steen Kaberle Hainsey Zednik Tucker
Good-Fisher Low to Late 1st
Throw Ins-Lower Picks

or 4 Very good prospects and 2-3 throw ins such as Leafaholix proposal of Steen, Kaberle Tucker 1st 2005 and Bell and other picks (lower I assume)

Or maybe a combo of 1-2 great prospects and 1-2 very good and some throw ins?

It would seem the consensus is Crosby is worth a significant risk. Other than maybe rating some guys too high or too low, is that a reasonable assessment?

BuppY

xGoodwillx
Dec 24, 2003
relatednews.net
borro said:
So would a fair summary be 3 great prospects with great defined as...

Elite-Ovechkin Crosby Malkin
Great- Barker Ruutu Brule Johnson Jackman
Very Good-Steen Kaberle Hainsey Zednik Tucker
Good-Fisher Low to Late 1st
Throw Ins-Lower Picks

or 4 Very good prospects and 2-3 throw ins such as Leafaholix proposal of Steen, Kaberle Tucker 1st 2005 and Bell and other picks (lower I assume)

Or maybe a combo of 1-2 great prospects and 1-2 very good and some throw ins?

It would seem the consensus is Crosby is worth a significant risk. Other than maybe rating some guys too high or too low, is that a reasonable assessment?

Hainsey shouldn't be under very good, he should be just a throw in. :D

SneakerPimp82

Apr 5, 2003
Saint Louis, MO
ax²+bx+c said:
If I were the habs I would offer something like this :

Theodore, Ribeiro, Kostitsyn, Hainsey, 1st 2005, Cash
or
Theodore, Zednik, Hainsey, 1st 2005, 1st 2006, 1st 2007, Cash

Craziness. Seriously, does Crosby make so much of a difference that he can replace the production of a 30 goal scorer, a no. 1 goalie, and 3 potential 1st round picks?

leafaholix*

SneakerPimp82 said:
Craziness. Seriously, does Crosby make so much of a difference that he can replace the production of a 30 goal scorer, a no. 1 goalie, and 3 potential 1st round picks?
It's already been stated, but #1 goalies and 25-30 forwards can be bought. Players the calibre of Sidney Crosby cannot. There are probably 3 or 4 current #2 goaltenders in the league that can step in and be as good as Jose Theodore. Great goaltenders can be found from all sorts of places... and I'm sure Montreal won't have a problem finding a great one since they're probably the premier organization in developing goalies.

BlueBleeder

Sep 28, 2004
Looking for others
Have to figure what Crosby brings off the ice. Landing him would increase ticket sales, merchandising, money from tv deals, etc...

He could revive hockey in cities where it's stagnating (chicago, carolina ).

He brings alot more then just the points on the ice.

leafaholix*

BlueBleeder said:
Have to figure what Crosby brings off the ice. Landing him would increase ticket sales, merchandising, money from tv deals, etc...

He could revive hockey in cities where it's stagnating (chicago, carolina ).

He brings alot more then just the points on the ice.
Chicago, yes.

Carolina... maybe for a couple seasons... there's nothing to "revive"... it was never there.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
dmcilvan said:
If I had the first overall pick(ie: Crosby), I'd try to trade it to the team with either 2nd or 3rd overall picks.
Interesting viewpoint. Let's imagine next season and for arguments sake the New York Rangers have the #2 pick and the Carolina Hurricanes have the 1st pick. The Rangers make an offer of their #2 pick and Jamie Lundmark and Lauri Korpikoski for the all mighty Sidney Crosby. Would you do it as a Ranger? A Cane?

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
SneakerPimp82 said:

Yes he does. Also, you gotta understand that Crosby in Montreal would bring a whole new dimension. Since Lafleur left, they never had a marquee player that matches the team's tradition. Never they got a premium entertaining player with the ability to make you jump out of your seat game after game. You can say whatever you want, but Montreal's the biggest hockey town. Nowhere in the universe, there's a city with a such passion for the game. Let's just have the fans that once-a-generation player. Crosby is already very popular and liked in Montreal, he also likes the habs... Why not going as hard as possible to get him?

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
mazmin said:
Interesting viewpoint. Let's imagine next season and for arguments sake the New York Rangers have the #2 pick and the Carolina Hurricanes have the 1st pick. The Rangers make an offer of their #2 pick and Jamie Lundmark and Lauri Korpikoski for the all mighty Sidney Crosby. Would you do it as a Ranger? A Cane?
as a cane - hell no. neither of those two are sure things. i would take part of the devils offer mentioned before - those are proven young players to build around. if you trade crosby you need something back you say really helped the franchise - thats why i dont like the idea of switching to a slightly lesser draft pick. id rather trade the pick way down or away altogether and make sure i get a big package. i would say 2 impact players at different positions and a 1st rounder should be enough. even if crosby lives up to it - in todays era i dont think you can get more.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Leafaholix said:
Chicago, yes.

Carolina... maybe for a couple seasons... there's nothing to "revive"... it was never there.
i agree its never been a "hotbed", but carolina had plenty to build off of in their 2002 cup run. season tickets went up a bunch and the town loved them. its not like a ten year run of success - but they proved that if they have a good team, people will come - so its fair to say they stagnated and would like to get some energy back. crosby would help the canes a ton - but brule or johnson would still be welcome.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Stars don't even have what it takes, I think. Their most valueble guys are on the high side of 20 (Turco) or actually above 30 (Lehtinen, Modano). Hypotheticly, this is the best offer I can come up with

- Brenden Morrow (top 6 all-round powerforward)
- Trevor Daley (Potential top 3 defenseman)
- Niko Kapanen (Solid two-way 3rd line center)
- The choice of picking any prospect in the Stars organisation.
- 1st round pick

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Ott = Snott said:
Stars don't even have what it takes, I think. Their most valueble guys are on the high side of 20 (Turco) or actually above 30 (Lehtinen, Modano). Hypotheticly, this is the best offer I can come up with

- Brenden Morrow (top 6 all-round powerforward)
- Trevor Daley (Potential top 3 defenseman)
- Niko Kapanen (Solid two-way 3rd line center)
- The choice of picking any prospect in the Stars organisation.
- 1st round pick
i think you are giving up too much there. the stars cant afford to give all those guys up - those are the some of the only young guys they could build around crosby with. i could see them living without one of those guys - not all three.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
bleedgreen said:
i think you are giving up too much there. the stars cant afford to give all those guys up - those are the some of the only young guys they could build around crosby with. i could see them living without one of those guys - not all three.

I know. I'd never do it, hence that's why I said hypotheticly. But it would be the Stars only chance of ever getting their hands on the #1 pick in 2005.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Minnesota has slim pickings but:

Roman Voloshenko
PM Bouchard
Pascal Dupuis
AJ Thelen
Willie Mitchell/Other Defensive Prospect
Anton Khudobin
1st Round Draft Pick
Other draft picks

And I don't think I would even do that. Voloshenko is solid talent, Mitchell or whoever they pick would be a solid defenseman, Thelen the jury is still out but looks to be good talent there, Khudobin (or is it Khodobin) could end up being a solid goaltender, PM Bouchard would border on good to great talent. Dupuis is good but a throwin.

Safir*

Stop the madness. What if Crosby isn't playing up to expectation?

My teams should not even think about a trade in the first place.

Atlanta: Has to give up players in a possible deal, who are already stars. It makes no sence to trade Kovy or Heater.

Ottawa: I would like to see, how the new coach works out with the Sens, before making any crazy moves.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Well sure me too.
But the excercise was what would you give up for the right to get Crosby.

Havlat, Fisher and any one of our prospects.

I think this package would be excellent for Crosby (im not sure how great an idea it would be to pull the trigger, but the deal is very good)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad