What"s wrong with the goal scorers ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAF

Feb 22, 2005
I just looked at the stats for the goalies and I was really impressed.

12 goaltenders have a GAA of 2.00 or less and 11 goaltenders have a SVS% of 93.0% or more. And we have already seen 13 shutouts...

This ain't normal. So, what's the story behind this ? Don't hit the forwards hit the goal anymore ?

Wisent

Nov 15, 2003
Mannheim
Visit site
First of all, you have to consider who they played against. Most of the shoutouts goalies had were against Slovenia, Belarus, Kazakhstan. While the latter two play very disciplined hockey, they are really not considered any scoring threats. Then you have teams like Germany Austria Switzerland Denmark who aren't high scoring teams as well. I think the further we go in that tournament the more the goaliestats will become normal because the teams will face teams that actually score more.

MAF

Feb 22, 2005
Look at today's 4 games of the qualification round: Only 3 teams scored more than 2 goals...

Wisent

Nov 15, 2003
Mannheim
Visit site
MAF said:
Look at today's 4 games of the qualification round: Only 3 teams scored more than 2 goals...
Yeah, and who did they play? Brickwall Kazakhstan (with a really good goalkeeper, and a weak team Canada playing a really aggressive team Ukraine with Simchuk (really hot goalie).

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
One word: Ukraine

I've witnessed alot of what Erik Cole refered to as "bunker hockey." Teams that shouldn't have a prayer against the stronger teams are playing tight systems and have been getting miraculous goaltending.

brian

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Teams like Ukraine, Kazakhstan and Belarus are not giving any space to the other teams. Although they do give up a lot of shots they haven't given up many quality scoring chances and if they did Mezin, Kolesnik, Simchuk, etc. have been equal to the task. Remember Ukraine used to play the same style as the old Soviet teams which was attack oriented and as a result they got blown out many times.

tsunami

Feb 28, 2002
Bienne - Switzerland
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
One word: Ukraine

I've witnessed alot of what Erik Cole refered to as "bunker hockey." Teams that shouldn't have a prayer against the stronger teams are playing tight systems and have been getting miraculous goaltending.

In Switzerland it is also called "trappatoni"-hockey - For those who don't know, Giovanni Trappatoni was the coach of the Italian national soccer team and was advocating a ultra defensive style of play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad