What Russian KHL players you would like to see in the NHL next season?

Stawks

Hockey Bird
Nov 27, 2007
Ottawa
Slava Voynov can stay in Russia, thank you very much.

Shipachev is the only player I truly find interesting. Telegin doesn't have high-end offensive skills IMO. Gusev could impress aswell.

Other than that, not much use in bringing over a KHL guy to be a roleplayer...

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
Slava Voynov can stay in Russia, thank you very much.

Shipachev is the only player I truly find interesting. Telegin doesn't have high-end offensive skills IMO. Gusev could impress aswell.

Other than that, not much use in bringing over a KHL guy to be a roleplayer...

Telegin russian version Clutterbuck
Gusev = Kucherov

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
As others have mentioned - you can keep Voynov over there until he rots. Do not want. Kovy, Telegin, Shipachev and Sobotka would be nice tho ;)

(Yes, I know Sobotka's Czech not Russian, but he's in the KHL so I added him anyways)

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I'd love for the Rangers to go shopping in the KHL next offseason

Also, does Tampa still own Gusev's rights? If so when do they lose him?

Akhurite

Feb 3, 2014
Toronto,ON
What's with the hype for this Telegin guy?

I know nothing about him, I admit, but his stats are pretty bad. Is he like a defensive wizard or something?

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia

I know nothing about him, I admit, but his stats are pretty bad. Is he like a defensive wizard or something?

Telegin play in 4 line CSKA.
Telegin defensive player like Kruger or Cizikas for example .

jaco

Oct 21, 2011
I'd prefer Tarasenko, Ovechkin, Malkin and Kucherov to come to the KHL instead. Would be fun. Crosby, Kane and Tavares could join as well. Oh to hell ....., let's take some Swedes too (maybe Karlsson, Hedman, Backstrom ...). Jagr anyone?

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Barabanov-Yes, hopefully he signs with the team that employs his line mate from last season. ;)
Ozhiganov-Think he can be the next Zaitsev out of CSKA
Kovy-Don't think he's coming back to the NHL, but he's been much better this season
Gusev-Does Tampa Bay even know he's good at hockey? :help:
Shalunov and Shumakov-I wonder if they'll sign with the same team
Tkachev (ak bars) and Tkachev (admiral)-AK Bars Tkachyov isn't ready, Admiral Tkachyov might be ready
Sorokin-Would prefer he doesn't play in the NHL, unless the Isles trade him. :sarcasm:
Telegin-Not so sure how well he'll do in the NHL
Shipachev-Yes, a lot of fans don't know how good he is. I think he'd be a top 6 player.
Dadonov-Yes, although I don't think he'd be more than a middle 6 player.
Voynov-Laws are laws. Doesn't belong in the NHL.
Korshkov-Not ready yet

You forgot to add Shestyorkin. I think he's going to be Hank's replacement in a few years.

How many points would Mozyakin score if he played in the NHL? A lot of people think he couldn't play in the NHL, but he's so talented that I think he would score 50-60.

What are you smoking?? Since we drafted him back in 2012 ... my guess is yes. And we knew that 4 years ago which means we knew he was good before anyone/everyone else.

AussieDave27

Aug 4, 2014
With little contest.

I have it as

NHL

KHL

SHL

AHL
Liiga
NLA

The problem is that we are obviously bereft of inter-league competition. Right now we have the European Champions League, which seems to show that the Swedish league is the best of the SHL, Liiga and NLA, but unfortunately the KHL does not compete. Let us not forget though that the last time the KHL did compete in the European Champions League the winner was in fact the Zurich Lions, who went on to beat the Chicago Blackhawks...

I know this is all opinion based and very hard to give any facts, but I struggle to say there is a huge gap, if any, between the KHL and the SHL and even the Liiga and NLA.

The KHL frequently sends teams to the Spengler Cup, which is probably the only tournament taken seriously in the world that isn't the country's league (European Champions League now excluded but that's new...) and do they win all the time? Not even close... I only remember the last half dozen off the top of my head but you have to go back to 2010 for SKA winning. I also personally remember my Geneva team beating CSKA Moscow twice in a week and the next tournament beating Jokerit and Salavat.

As for the AHL, this is almost impossible to compare. Most European players would prefer to keep playing in Europe unless they think they are on the verge of NHL minutes. This doesn't really say much about the standard of competition, and there is no doubt a lot more prestige playing in the top league of your country in front of bigger, more fanatical crowds than second division American hockey. As for actual competitive games, I can only recall the Rochester Americans in a recent Spengler Cup failing to win a game.

If I were to really rank them I would say that the NHL - KHL gap is a lot bigger than the KHL - Rest of Europe gap. In fact, I can't even guarantee that the KHL is better than the SHL. The AHL I would tentatively place below the Liiga and Swiss NLA but it's really guesswork.

Last edited:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
The KHL frequently sends teams to the Spengler Cup, which is probably the only tournament taken seriously in the world that isn't the country's league (European Champions League now excluded but that's new...) and do they win all the time? Not even close... I only remember the last half dozen off the top of my head but you have to go back to 2010 for SKA winning. I also personally remember my Geneva team beating CSKA Moscow twice in a week and the next tournament beating Jokerit and Salavat.

Riga made the finals playing mostly its reserve players. And that's the point, every KHL team does, if most NLA teams add imports to their Spengler cup roster, KHL teams usually play guys who wouldn't normally play as much or at all. So Spengler cup is no indication.

At the same time, the problem is that it's pretty tough to say what is "the quality of the league" exactly. There is a huge gap between SKA and any other team in Europe. CSKA and Magnitka are somewhere in that gap. Riga or Kuznya, meanwhile, would have trouble winning EBEL. And this is where this "no gap" perception comes from. KHL is top heavy league and team like 13/14 season Skelleftea were much, much better than an average KHL team. And same applies to Geneva, a team which made league semi finals last 3 years, beating 3 very average (at the time) KHL teams in the Spengler cup.

So overall, gap between best team in the KHL (called SKA at the moment) and other teams in Europe is huge. Gap between the average team in the KHL and average team in SHL or NLA isn't quite as huge. And team like Kuznya wouldn't be very good, I would go as far as saying, would miss the playoffs, in NLA or SHL. So at the end of the day, the gap is as big as you want it to see.

He is very similar player and a similar story to Sergei Kalinin who wasn't exactly a great KHL scorer either. Kalinin managed to make it (so far, at least) in the NHL and Telegin is actually better. A big body, defensively solid and very good skater (something that Kalinin isn't, even though he is very fast) with not-so-great offensive skills, a bit Karl Hagelin-like.

Last edited:

Milos Krasic

Best Serbian Footballer (2009) / Serie A Winner
Jul 1, 2008
None, I'm through with the NHL. Putting a team in Las Vegas was the last straw for me.

Meh. The KHL put a team in freaking China.

I like the KHL better, but I'm not going to say I don't watch the NHL. I want to see Ovechkin, Malkin, Kucherov play. If they returned to the KHL that would be great, but I don't hold it against them.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Meh. The KHL put a team in freaking China.

I like the KHL better, but I'm not going to say I don't watch the NHL. I want to see Ovechkin, Malkin, Kucherov play. If they returned to the KHL that would be great, but I don't hold it against them.

Me too but then I get bored after 5 minutes because OV will show up for a shift and maybe dump the puck in and go off then I have to watch utter crap until the next time him (or Kuzy) gets back on the ice. OV has learned to change his gears to medium pace during most regular season games. Yeah hes fun on the PP but to dedicate my night to see him do that, not anymore. Ill maybe spend more time watching montreal now that they have 5 Russian guys + Plekanec.

KHL you can see something interesting on most lines, even on the bad teams. Like I was randomly watching Severstal get wrecked the other day but I was entertained by Kagarlitsky flying around the ice then Trunyov and Vovchenko on the 3rd line work some magic. And of course they got some other guys who can really handle the puck, the game was interesting even in massive defeat, you just don't get that in the NHL. Maybe the first lines handle/are aloud by coach to handle the puck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad