What really happens in trades involving FC? [MOD: Future Considerations]

jhoops89

R.I.P. Thrashers
Mar 14, 2012
Feel free to move this thread if it is in the wrong forum... What really happens when guys are traded for Future Considerations? I know it sounds simple but sometimes I hear about a guy being dealt for future considerations and then I never hear anything else. So what happens?

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I always thought it was a clause in a trade in a way that could return nothing if the player being traded does nothing, otherwise its a draft pick if the player being traded puts up good points.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
Expansion teams have made these with future considerations being "we don't select player X"

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Expansion teams have made these with future considerations being "we don't select player X"

But what is FC really? It's something who's value isn't set. But then how does a team redeem that chit?

So team A trades so so prospect/minor leaguer to team B for FC.

Then that player lights it up... What can team A realistically get from team B as compensation? Do they then have to come to an agreement? What does the NHL allow?

Hertl Power

May 7, 2010
Bay Area, California
Generally it means nothing.

It really depends on the GM though. It could mean nothing to them it could mean the next time they have someone they want to trade they call someone they "owe" first.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Future Considerations are very prevalent in ECHL. Usually it's "I'll trade you player X and at the end of the season, we'll figure out which player Y to come back to complete the deal."

In the NHL, it's been used by teams to "give" an asset in exchange for not selecting a specific (exposed) player(s) in an expansion draft.

It's also been used to have an option to "swap" future draft picks (IOW, if team X is at position N in draft, and has the option of swapping with team Y and the position is earlier, they may execute the deal).

Heck, for all I know it may be the FC might end up being the catering bill the next time the team is in the other's city.

YMMV.

Shawa666

May 25, 2010
Québec, Qc, Ca
Future Considerations are very prevalent in ECHL. Usually it's "I'll trade you player X and at the end of the season, we'll figure out which player Y to come back to complete the deal."

In the NHL, it's been used by teams to "give" an asset in exchange for not selecting a specific (exposed) player(s) in an expansion draft.

It's also been used to have an option to "swap" future draft picks (IOW, if team X is at position N in draft, and has the option of swapping with team Y and the position is earlier, they may execute the deal).

Heck, for all I know it may be the FC might end up being the catering bill the next time the team is in the other's city.

YMMV.

In Independent baseball, sometimes, Future considerations end up being the player sent from team A to Team B.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Future Consideration are establish in the trade contract, usually there are condition to meet to that set the return. usually condition are set so high that it end up being nothing...

Team A treade player Y to team B for future consideration.

If Player Y plays more than 62 games in the next season for team B, team A will receive a 6th round pick
or
If player Y score 50 goal for team B, team A will received a 3rd round pick
Or
If team B reach the semi final team A get a a 4th round pick

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Future considerations can be pretty much anything (subject to League approval) except cash or any commitment concerning the future disposition of the player. It is typically something non tangible - rights to swap draft picks, a commitment to pick or pick a player in an expansion draft, etc - however, all of the parameters of the consideration must be defined when the trade is made and cannot be left TBD.

Here is an older thread on the subject: Future Considerations - including a link to search query of all NHL transactions involving the well traveled Mr Considerations (some give details, most don't).

http://www.prosportstransactions.co...ndDate=&PlayerMovementChkBx=yes&submit=Search

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad