Speculation: What realistic trade for a Defenseman is there?

Ruutu Tootoo

Oct 16, 2014
Morris County, NJ
I think it's agreed that the Defense needs upgrades. What realistic trades for a Defenseman would you guys like to see that would land the Devils that would land them a #3 D that doesn't hurt the foward core tremendously?

They obviously need a #1 D, but I don't think they are in a position to trade for that, yet.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Something packaged around a LW and a 2018 draft pick would work for the Devils.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
None really.

I know Henrique's name has been tossed out as an option, but that's especially tough without Zajac.

Let's see how things pan out first with what we've got. Still a rebuilding year - maybe make a run at the playoffs, but more likely we fall way short. See where we are after this season - will know a lot more what we have in Mueller, Butcher, Santini, Dyblenko & Severson. See if we trade or resign Moore at the deadline. Hope to maybe land some in free agency and if not, then possibly explore a trade.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
None really.

I know Henrique's name has been tossed out as an option, but that's especially tough without Zajac.

Let's see how things pan out first with what we've got. Still a rebuilding year - maybe make a run at the playoffs, but more likely we fall way short. See where we are after this season - will know a lot more what we have in Mueller, Butcher, Santini, Dyblenko & Severson. See if we trade or resign Moore at the deadline. Hope to maybe land some in free agency and if not, then possibly explore a trade.

I fully agree with this thought process. Maybe Butcher turns into a very good player and one of the other few prospects (my money is on Rykov) blossom for us. I don't think one trade will turn us into a contender this year...ride it out and maybe we get lucky enough to attract a quality free agent D. I'm just looking for improvement this year, although being awful and landing Dahlin is intriguing lol

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
If we are apparently scouting the Avs, maybe we are going after Barrie?

I don't trust Barrie as a number 1 tho. Strong number 2/3rd pairing tho.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Trading for one isn't a realistic goal if we aren't giving up Zacha or Nico. What we need is a top end guy not a middle pairing to bottom pairing filler. Those guys won't be had for a McLeod and pick based deal.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't think we're getting a #3 for anything reasonable. Just look at what Mueller cost us, that seems to be the market value right now.

I still maintain that the Larsson/Hall trade tilted the market for defensemen, or at least has played a part in it. Taylor Hall was the price for a #3 defenseman, just a bit over a year ago. Obviously this is an extreme and not every #3 is gonna cost you quite a Taylor Hall. Just look at what Hamonic went for this offseason.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
I don't think we're getting a #3 for anything reasonable. Just look at what Mueller cost us, that seems to be the market value right now.

I still maintain that the Larsson/Hall trade tilted the market for defensemen, or at least has played a part in it. Taylor Hall was the price for a #3 defenseman, just a bit over a year ago. Obviously this is an extreme and not every #3 is gonna cost you quite a Taylor Hall. Just look at what Hamonic went for this offseason.

The reason Larsson was so expensive is Edmonton was trying to create a market. They were looking for a top-four defencemen and none were available. They weren't willing to wait, either. They needed a minute muncher NOW.

Ray recognized he was the only person with a fitting D who was willing to deal, so he jacked up the price, and Chiarelli went for it.

People try to define that trade as market-setting, but it really was a perfect storm type deal that's unlikely to happen again.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The reason Larsson was so expensive is Edmonton was trying to create a market. They were looking for a top-four defencemen and none were available. They weren't willing to wait, either. They needed a minute muncher NOW.

Ray recognized he was the only person with a fitting D who was willing to deal, so he jacked up the price, and Chiarelli went for it.

People try to define that trade as market-setting, but it really was a perfect storm type deal that's unlikely to happen again.

I still believe it was market setting or at least had an impact. Obviously the market isn't going to be quite as high as having to send a Taylor Hall equivalent every time you want an Adam Larsson comparable.

You'll still pay more for an Adam Larsson comparable than you would have in the past though....

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Anyone younger that REALLY improves the outlook on D going forward, like Chabot or Kylington or something, is going to cost too much, and likely doesn't help the team enough in the short term. I don't how many more Muellers are out there to take a chance on, but outside of that I'm not really sure what Shero can do.

Completely disregarding who's available or the cost, who does everyone think would be the best fit? Are we talking someone like Chabot or someone like... I dunno Justin Faulk? I see people talking about Faulk like he's expendable. What we need is for Shero to pull off something like the Islanders did with Leddy, but I have no idea who that'd be for.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Anyone younger that REALLY improves the outlook on D going forward, like Chabot or Kylington or something, is going to cost too much, and likely doesn't help the team enough in the short term. I don't how many more Muellers are out there to take a chance on, but outside of that I'm not really sure what Shero can do.

Completely disregarding who's available or the cost, who does everyone think would be the best fit? Are we talking someone like Chabot or someone like... I dunno Justin Faulk? I see people talking about Faulk like he's expendable. What we need is for Shero to pull off something like the Islanders did with Leddy, but I have no idea who that'd be for.

I'd rather Justin Faulk, as I think most of us would.:laugh:

I mean the good Justin Faulk that plays for the Hurricanes, not the crappy journeyman one (I believe he's Justin Falk) that got badly torched by Peter Harrold, which turned into a highlight reel goal a couple years ago.:laugh:

I think Faulk is the kind of guy that would be VERY costly. Chabot may be cheaper, but even he might command a 2nd or 3rd round pick. He's an 18th overall pick from only 2 years ago.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
We need two kids to step up so Henrique becomes a tradable asset. Assuming that Zajac returns the second half and plays to his usual level, you hope Zacha plays 1C and Zajac 2C with Hall and MarJo on the left and Palms and one of Speers/Anderson/Nico/McLeod as RW2. If that projected line up works by the trade deadline you can move Henrique and a B+ forward prospect for a defender if you want. I'm not convinced the return will be worth it but that is likely what NJ will have to offer this season without giving up a premium prospect or a first round pick.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We need two kids to step up so Henrique becomes a tradable asset. Assuming that Zajac returns the second half and plays to his usual level, you hope Zacha plays 1C and Zajac 2C with Hall and MarJo on the left and Palms and one of Speers/Anderson/Nico/McLeod as RW2. If that projected line up works by the trade deadline you can move Henrique and a B+ forward prospect for a defender if you want. I'm not convinced the return will be worth it but that is likely what NJ will have to offer this season without giving up a premium prospect or a first round pick.

I would have been okay with trading Henrique in a package, just this past offseason. If not just for the fact that he's a UFA in 2 years (2019) and I don't think we're gonna want to retain him at what he'll probably cost. Henrique for a good defenseman would be good value. I don't wanna trade Henrique just to trade him, but I think we're gonna have to make a decision in the next offseason if we want to extend him a new contract, or ship him out before he hits UFA. Wouldn't be surprised if Shero does for him what he did with Jordan Staal in 2012. Offers him a deal for an extension and if he doesn't take it, he gets shipped at the draft with one year remaining on his contract.

Ruutu Tootoo

Oct 16, 2014
Morris County, NJ
I look at teams like Carolina, Ottawa and Anaheim where there can use a 2nd line LW like Henrique could be and trade away one of there #3-4 Defenseman such as a Cody Ceci or a Sami Vatanen.

I would look for this in the 2018 off season.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I'd move Henrique for the best defenseman we can find in a second. Obviously not getting a top pairing guy for him.

HatTrick89

May 27, 2008
York
Pens need a 3rd line center, maybe Henrique and Lovejoy for Schultz? Doubt they'd want Lovejoy back, maybe Butcher or Mueller

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
For a dman that can change this d core and take top pairing minutes / most minutes a night?

Henrique is the most expendable piece on the team. So him, a first round pick and add from there.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I think Faulk is the kind of guy that would be VERY costly. Chabot may be cheaper, but even he might command a 2nd or 3rd round pick. He's an 18th overall pick from only 2 years ago.

I dunno, from the way i hear people talk about Faulk, they're ready to move him for help elsewhere in the lineup. And Ottawa's insanely high on Chabot and their depth on D is laughable compared to carolina's. But it's probably a moot point since i doubt we'll ever see either of them in a Devils sweater.

Packaging Henrique without whatever it takes to pry someone like Vatanen away is probably our best bet, but i wonder if that ship has sailed already. If we want Trouba, Winnipeg wants Hischier. Trouba's that good and i think Winnipeg is desperate to hold on to some talent for once.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad