What prospects are your favorites for next seasons roster.

Select your favorites to crack the Flyers roster for next season

• Total voters

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
I am guessing Frost, Morin and long shot as Ratcliffe.

I think Morin is the closest thing to a lock based on competition and potential roster openings.

Frost is obviously the most talented option, but he is so physically immature I think that may hold him back. He will need to compare to Mitch Marner in terms of size vs skill.

Ratcliffe I keep thinking may have a shot as a 4th line winger. He has the size and scoring touch. Probably too raw and in need of AHL time, but just have a hunch he could impress enough in camp.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Why do you say SHL and college players take longer , rookie of the year nominations Barzal , Keller , Boesser , if expanded McAvoy , Conner etc... . We have players playing in the SHL that are better than many playing in LV right now. Hextall has just used his first and second round picks on CHL players unlike several other teams so, the development curve on the later picks takes longer uaually . It has nothing to do with where they play .

You're cherry picking the top picks and a few outliers.

CHL guys usually spend 2 years in juniors, hit the AHL at 20/21, and then go from there.

College players often spend their 18 year old season in the USHL, are 20 year old sophomores and 21 year old juniors, who then hit the AHL at 21/22, and may need more time because college seasons are shorter than juniors, so they've played a lot less hockey by the time they hit the AHL.

SHL and other Europeans can be stashed there for a few years, so teams often want them to get their seasoning, then sign their ELC and come over. Since the SHL is a pro league rather than a developmental league, kids tend to work their way into playing time over 2-3 seasons.

Rubtsov and Laberge will be 20 in the AHL this fall.
Laczynski would be a 21 year old junior in college if he doesn't sign this summer, Allison turns 21 in the fall.

Kase, who has a solid first SHL season, turned 21 in January, he's almost certain to return this year, and will probably come over at age 22, and turn 23 in his first AHL season.
Hogberg played his second SHL season at 19, is going to return next year, might come over to the AHL at age 21, will probably spend 2 years in the AHL, adding strength and mastering the NA game.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
Frost is obviously the most talented option, but he is so physically immature I think that may hold him back.

Frost is bigger than Konecny. there's also the option of starting him out on wing like they did with Giroux. takes a little pressure off him.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Frost isn't bigger than TK, he has an inch on him, but TK is stouter, and is already up to 184 lbs as per Flyers TC roster.
If Frost shows up at TC packing 180 lbs, that will be a good summer.
But Ron doesn't want Frost hitting people like "Kamikaze Konecny", he just wants him to survive being hit.

Giroux was a winger in juniors.
Frost doesn't need to avoid pressure, he just need to avoid being plastered like a bug on a windshield.
He'll play center or return to juniors.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
some sites list Frost at 180, some 175 and some 172. if he comes into camp above 175 he should have a real good shot.

Reactions: AdamParrot

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
You're cherry picking the top picks and a few outliers.

CHL guys usually spend 2 years in juniors, hit the AHL at 20/21, and then go from there.

College players often spend their 18 year old season in the USHL, are 20 year old sophomores and 21 year old juniors, who then hit the AHL at 21/22, and may need more time because college seasons are shorter than juniors, so they've played a lot less hockey by the time they hit the AHL.

SHL and other Europeans can be stashed there for a few years, so teams often want them to get their seasoning, then sign their ELC and come over. Since the SHL is a pro league rather than a developmental league, kids tend to work their way into playing time over 2-3 seasons.

Rubtsov and Laberge will be 20 in the AHL this fall.
Laczynski would be a 21 year old junior in college if he doesn't sign this summer, Allison turns 21 in the fall.

Kase, who has a solid first SHL season, turned 21 in January, he's almost certain to return this year, and will probably come over at age 22, and turn 23 in his first AHL season.
Hogberg played his second SHL season at 19, is going to return next year, might come over to the AHL at age 21, will probably spend 2 years in the AHL, adding strength and mastering the NA game.
I ain't cherry picking crap go back in the last three drafts and take a look obviously you have not.If they are drafted out of the USHL in their first year of eligibilty they are in college the next year, the ones in the USHL the year after they are drafted are the ones drafted out of the high schools prep schools or USPH , NAHL , just like Noah Cates. Laycznski was drafted second year eligible out of USHL then college not drafted then spent the next year in the USHL , Allison drafted first year eligible then to college as true freshman. Junior only has 3 twenty years olds per team while having several 16-17-18 year olds so the better players dominate to easily limiting their development if they stay to long. SHL is against men and college is 19 - 24 years of age. Also kids in college do not always come out when the teams want them to, Denver had three last year say no and stayed another year. Terry , Gambrell Borgstrum . College kids have choices Junior kids do not if they are not in AHL by age 20 they are in the Canadian University league and done. We mostly all agree here that the the 2016 draft rankings now would be Hart, Allison , Laycznski , Rubsov etc ... Yet 4 players we would consider behind Laycznski have already been signed. Ever think why.
SHL is a pro league the kids are being paid already, probably as much as they would make in the AHL . They are continuing to develop cause they are playing high caliber hockey so yes the flyers are in no rush with them they are playing and developing and it ain't costing them nothing.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If you look at any draft, it's mostly the top 20 picks or so who make the NHL by age 19-21.
Later on in the draft, most players spend at least one year in the AHL, many 2-3 years.

2016 draft:
Only players past #16 with significant NHL time - #26 Thompson (41 games), #39 DeBrincat (82), #47 Girard (73), #100 Mete (49), #162 Bratt (74)
2015 draft - players with at least 50 games (i.e. skipped the AHL):
#23 Boeser (71), #24 Konecny (151), #28 Beauvillier (137), #32 Fischer (86), #35 Aho (160), #37 Carlo (150), #56 Dunn (75), #102 Malgin (98), #189 Nutivaara (127),
2014 draft - players with at least 100 games
#21 Fabbri (123), #24 McCann (166), #25 Pastrnak (254), #29 Kempe (106), #33 Barbashyov (83), #55 Montour (107), #79 Point (150), #112 Arvidsson (220), #171 LaBanc, #205 Kase (119)

So while Frost is a lock to be up in 2019 if not next year, and this year's #14 pick should be up by 2020, most draft picks are going to take 3-4 years after their draft to make the NHL. Two PD junior years and 1-2 AHL seasons is the norm, a few don't come up until they have 2+ AHL seasons, so Morin isn't that rare.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'm not a Flyer fan and can't follow them that much, but I was thinking the same as you. Flyers drafted all these Dmen in top rounds but seem not to have any NHL return on many of these guys.
Living in Ontario, I have all the nonsense about how bad the Leaf defence is and how that if Doughty played for the Leafs they would be Cup finalists. Gee, it seems like a lot of teams, even playoff teams really want/need to improve their defence.

Well Provorov and Ghost are already established star defensemen and Sanheim played more than half of this past season and 4 playoff game. Saying we havent had NHL return on our drafting is factually incorrect. Sanheim will be a full timer next season and Morin will get a long look after being injured most of this season. That just leaves Phil Myers among our top prospects and he wasnt even drafted.

Reactions: Tripod and pmwlker

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
I'd love for NAK, Frost, Morin, Myers and Vorobyev to earn roster spots. We'd probably have a mediocre at best season, but at least it would be indefinitely more fun than the last two years.

Giroux - Couturier - Konecny
Zadina :) - Patrick - Voracek
Lindblom - Frost - NAK
Laughton - Vorobyev - Raffl

Provorov - Gostisbehere
Sanheim - Myers
Morin - AMac?

Whoever
Whoever

Again, we probably aren't that great, but every single line would be fun to watch. What a breathe of fresh air that would be.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
For several seasons now the product the Flyers have thrown out has been garbage. Minus a few exceptions most Flyer teams have been dull and boring. Playing a handful (3-5) prospects on the team next year would go a long way to improve the on-ice product.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
If you look at any draft, it's mostly the top 20 picks or so who make the NHL by age 19-21.
Later on in the draft, most players spend at least one year in the AHL, many 2-3 years.

2016 draft:
Only players past #16 with significant NHL time - #26 Thompson (41 games), #39 DeBrincat (82), #47 Girard (73), #100 Mete (49), #162 Bratt (74)
2015 draft - players with at least 50 games (i.e. skipped the AHL):
#23 Boeser (71), #24 Konecny (151), #28 Beauvillier (137), #32 Fischer (86), #35 Aho (160), #37 Carlo (150), #56 Dunn (75), #102 Malgin (98), #189 Nutivaara (127),
2014 draft - players with at least 100 games
#21 Fabbri (123), #24 McCann (166), #25 Pastrnak (254), #29 Kempe (106), #33 Barbashyov (83), #55 Montour (107), #79 Point (150), #112 Arvidsson (220), #171 LaBanc, #205 Kase (119)

So while Frost is a lock to be up in 2019 if not next year, and this year's #14 pick should be up by 2020, most draft picks are going to take 3-4 years after their draft to make the NHL. Two PD junior years and 1-2 AHL seasons is the norm, a few don't come up until they have 2+ AHL seasons, so Morin isn't that rare.
Went back to the 2015 draft and you missed a few Carlo Conner Oho and a couple others but on a different note winnipeg's 6th and 7th round picks that year were AHL defenceman of the year in his rookie year and the other was 4th in scoring in the AHL and won AHL rookie of the year . I guess their scouting staff is doing a good job as well

Reactions: Tripod

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Well Provorov and Ghost are already established star defensemen and Sanheim played more than half of this past season and 4 playoff game. Saying we havent had NHL return on our drafting is factually incorrect. Sanheim will be a full timer next season and Morin will get a long look after being injured most of this season. That just leaves Phil Myers among our top prospects and he wasnt even drafted.

Thanks for the info on Sanheim and Morin. I saw Morin a bit when he played junior. He looked like Chara...well at least compared to a lot of junior competition .

Reactions: Rebels57

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Thanks for the info on Sanheim and Morin. I saw Morin a bit when he played junior. He looked like Chara...well at least compared to a lot of junior competition .

Barring any trades/signings, the Flyers Top 7 next year will likely be..

Provorov (1st rnd 2015)
Ghost (3rd rnd 2012)
Sanheim (1st rnd 2014)
Gudas (trade)
MacDonald (trade)
Hagg (2nd rnd 2013)
Morin (1st rnd 2013)

Myers should see call-ups as well.

Flyers1928

Jan 26, 2018
Canada
at SOO game last night, Frost is the biggest floater without the puck I've seen since Sonny Milano in junior. Got some mad dangles tho

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Barring any trades/signings, the Flyers Top 7 next year will likely be..

Provorov (1st rnd 2015)
Ghost (3rd rnd 2012)
Sanheim (1st rnd 2014)
Gudas (trade)
MacDonald (trade)

Hagg (2nd rnd 2013)
Morin (1st rnd 2013)

Myers should see call-ups as well.

Can't have both of those guys as regulars next year imo

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
Too many outside factors to make predictions for me.

Who I think should/will make the roster vs who actually will is directly tied to whether or not Hak is our coach.

Reactions: Rebels57

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad