Speculation: What prospects are going to make the team next season?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I hate Jim Benning and Trevor Linden and watching this season has been painful.

With the Sedins possibly gone next year and the potential for a Tanev trade, the team could look a lot different next year in terms of vet players.

But there're also a few prospects who should be on the team next year if they have solid summers and impress in camp. Right now, I have Pettersson, Gaudette, and Demko on penciled in for next year.

What prospects do you think will make the team next year?
Pencil vs pen. And i am going to note any young player who was not on the opening day roster this year.

Goldy. This is make or break for him. Hey have to figure what they have.
Gaudette, at 22 I feel he’s ready to Stick
Demko the goaltending is a mess. Nilsson is probably the insurance policy now as green does not have faith in him. Demko makes the team. Expect 30 starts from him and more if he outplays marky.

That’s th list in Pen.

Pencil would be Pettersson if he is physically able to endure contact from guys the size of couture, Monahan, rackell. The 6 feet 190-200 lb guys. Don’t want him suffering shoulder injuries if he can’t survive contact from average sized players.
Juolevi starts in th AHL and due to injuries he gets called up before Xmas.

That’s my list.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
Pettersson and Gaudette should make the team out of training camp

If drafted, any of Svechnikov, Zadina, or Dahlin, have a good chance of starting in Vancouver.

Demko should get 20-30 games next year provided something is done with Nilsson in the summer.

Juolevi should start in Utica and will be one of the first call-ups when injuries hit.

Lind, Dahlen, and Gadjovich should all be in Utica all year.

Exactly my sentiments. I think Gaudette will def. start the year with the team. They might decide EP needs some seasoning and send him down for a minute but at some point during the season he will def. be on the team as his offence is sorely needed.

I would hope that management decides to get ride of on of our two pylons that we currently have tending crease for us and Demko gets around 30 games in next year.

I think Juolevi has a spot to lose on the Canucks next year although I heard a bit of a damning assessment of him yesterday from a scout on 1040 "slow feet with an attitude". I had thought that he was going to be fine eventually but this was the first wind I have gotten of an attitude which doesn't thrill me.

I can't see any other prospects making the team unless we have another Stetcher like performance of a couple years ago. While youth needs to be served I can't see them having more than 3 max rookies on the team possibly plus Demko (and three is really pushing it I think - 2 is more probable meaning that most likely one of OJ, Guadette and EP falters - if I had to guess on those it would be OJ doing so).

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Hard to say at this point. A lot depends on the Sedin's and how we manage the glut of pro contracts. Also any cap savings we get, whether reduced Sedin contracts or losing them outright, Benning is likely going to spend in free agency. Right now our forward contracts look like:

Locks (10): Henrik*, Daniel*, Eriksson, Horvat, Sutter, Gagner, Baerstchi**, Boeser, Granlund**, Virtanen**

Bubble (5): Goldobin, Gaunce, Leipsic, Motte, Boucher**

UFA (3): Archibald, Dowd, Jokinen

Probably just cut Boucher loose, and with that and including the Sedin's you're looking at 14 starting forwards already set. Similar situation on D where we have 8 guys already and G with 2 signed pro goalies.

I mean I'd love to see us clean house on some of those guys but I don't expect Benning to be very proactive in clearing out 4-5 of our current guys to make room for Gaudette/Pettersson/Dahlen/Juolevi/Demko plus whoever else.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
If the Sedins return

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser
Sedin-Sedin-Goldobin
Eriksson-Gaudette-Pettersson
Gaunce-Sutter-Virtanen
Leipsic/Gagner

Edler-Gudbranson
Juolevi-Tanev
MDZ-Stecher
Biega

Markstrom
Nilsson

Lind, Demko, Dahlen, Gadjovich, Brassard in Utica. Assuming no lottery win (Dahlin/Svechnikov/Zadina) and no Tanev trade.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

No Sedins......

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser
Eriksson-XXX-Pettersson
Goldobin-Gaudette-Gagner
Gaunce-Sutter-Virtanen

Find short term low end 2c in FA.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
If the Sedins return

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser
Sedin-Sedin-Goldobin
Gaunce-Sutter-Virtanen
Leipsic/Gagner

Edler-Gudbranson
Juolevi-Tanev
MDZ-Stecher
Biega

Markstrom
Nilsson

Lind, Dahlen, Gadjovich, Brassard in Utica. Assuming no lottery win (Dahlin/Svechnikov/Zadina) and no Tanev trade.

No Sedins......

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser
Eriksson-XXX-Pettersson
Goldobin-Gaudette-Gagner
Gaunce-Sutter-Virtanen

No Leipsic? I think he’s more useful than Ganger, Gaunce and Virtanen

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If the Sedins return

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser
Sedin-Sedin-Goldobin
Gaunce-Sutter-Virtanen
Leipsic/Gagner

Edler-Gudbranson
Juolevi-Tanev
MDZ-Stecher
Biega

Markstrom
Nilsson

Lind, Demko, Dahlen, Gadjovich, Brassard in Utica. Assuming no lottery win (Dahlin/Svechnikov/Zadina) and no Tanev trade.

No Sedins......

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser
Eriksson-XXX-Pettersson
Goldobin-Gaudette-Gagner
Gaunce-Sutter-Virtanen

I think your hope of a low end 2C is not realistic. Term is the main issue.

I’d target more of a defensive guy to allow Bo to not have to take D zone draws.

Live and die by whether Bo and Gaudette lines can score.

Reactions: theoriginalBCF

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Exactly my sentiments. I think Gaudette will def. start the year with the team. They might decide EP needs some seasoning and send him down for a minute but at some point during the season he will def. be on the team as his offence is sorely needed.

I would hope that management decides to get ride of on of our two pylons that we currently have tending crease for us and Demko gets around 30 games in next year.

I think Juolevi has a spot to lose on the Canucks next year although I heard a bit of a damning assessment of him yesterday from a scout on 1040 "slow feet with an attitude". I had thought that he was going to be fine eventually but this was the first wind I have gotten of an attitude which doesn't thrill me.

I can't see any other prospects making the team unless we have another Stetcher like performance of a couple years ago. While youth needs to be served I can't see them having more than 3 max rookies on the team possibly plus Demko (and three is really pushing it I think - 2 is more probable meaning that most likely one of OJ, Guadette and EP falters - if I had to guess on those it would be OJ doing so).
The attitude rumblings about Juolevi have been around for awhile I think, some of it being driven by his "lack of readiness" for training camp last year. I prefer to put it to being young and still not knowing what it will take to play at the highest level in the world. I think he will be fine and slot in as a solid top 4 D-man with a high end of being a regular #2.
It's reasonable to be concerned about EP's weight (really the only thing holding him back from getting a long look) but I think his skill will overcome that issue.
I have very little confidence in Nilsson but Markstrom is growing on me. He seems to have avoided the "one bad goal a game" recently or at least reduced the rate. His save% for the last three months (29 games) is 0.913. Not outstanding but solid for an NHL goalie. He had a really bad November and December but so did the defense in front of him. I don't think he's a #1 on a contending team but he is a good option as Demko and the other prospects develop.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The attitude rumblings about Juolevi have been around for awhile I think, some of it being driven by his "lack of readiness" for training camp last year. I prefer to put it to being young and still not knowing what it will take to play at the highest level in the world. I think he will be fine and slot in as a solid top 4 D-man with a high end of being a regular #2.
It's reasonable to be concerned about EP's weight (really the only thing holding him back from getting a long look) but I think his skill will overcome that issue.
I have very little confidence in Nilsson but Markstrom is growing on me. He seems to have avoided the "one bad goal a game" recently or at least reduced the rate. His save% for the last three months (29 games) is 0.913. Not outstanding but solid for an NHL goalie. He had a really bad November and December but so did the defense in front of him. I don't think he's a #1 on a contending team but he is a good option as Demko and the other prospects develop.
So long as EP can survive contact from average sized nhlers I think he’ll be on the roster. But it wouldn’t do him any good if he can’t take a solid hit and end up onIR. Not developing if he is rehabbing an injury.

Nico has been fine in NJ and sub 180 lbs bu he’s also about 3 inches shorter so there’s less area to distribute the weight.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
You were so close to being bright...so damn close
The hate toward Juolecu from you is crazy
Like I said Juolevi is still our 4th best prospect no matter how you look at it
4th best d prospect if he has a strong off season

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
There haven't been too many silver linings in another lost season, but have to say I've been pleasantly surprised by the consistent play of Virtanen and Goldy down the stretch......games where they basically just 'disappeared' are becoming fewer and fewer.....definitely have to be in the conversation for roster spots next year.

And I know posters have been disappointed with the progress of Juolevi, but surely as a left-shot d-man he has to be an upgrade over Del Zotto?....and Gagner is currently blocking another young guy from making this roster like a Dahlen or a Lind....unfortunately both veteran guys still have term on their two contracts....two of Jimbo's more head-scratching UFA signings last year.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
So long as EP can survive contact from average sized nhlers I think he’ll be on the roster. But it wouldn’t do him any good if he can’t take a solid hit and end up onIR. Not developing if he is rehabbing an injury.

Nico has been fine in NJ and sub 180 lbs bu he’s also about 3 inches shorter so there’s less area to distribute the weight.
Nico's also a great skater and most of the slight guys survive if they can be evasive. It doesn't matter if you can not take a hit if nobody can hit you.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
There haven't been too many silver linings in another lost season, but have to say I've been pleasantly surprised by the consistent play of Virtanen and Goldy down the stretch......games where they basically just 'disappeared' are becoming fewer and fewer.....definitely have to be in the conversation for roster spots next year.

And I know posters have been disappointed with the progress of Juolevi, but surely as a left-shot d-man he has to be an upgrade over Del Zotto?....and Gagner is currently blocking another young guy from making this roster like a Dahlen or a Lind....unfortunately both veteran guys still have term on their two contracts....two of Jimbo's more head-scratching UFA signings last year.
He can't be any worse than YDD.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
You were so close to being bright...so damn close
The hate toward Juolecu from you is crazy
Like I said Juolevi is still our 4th best prospect no matter how you look at it

Craig Button has Juolevi ahead of Gaudette. Ian Macintyre as well

Index

Fillmore, I'm on it!
Mar 24, 2013
Why do people keep putting Baertschi in the first line or even the top-6? The guy has never scored 40 points and can't stay healthy for 70 games in a season. He has a few nice games here and there when paired with Horvat and/or Boeser but is nowhere near deserving a top-line roster spot. He's 25 now too, what you see is pretty much what you get and the constant injuries are not going to help him.
Who else do we have on our LW spot that will be ready next year then? I'm not suggesting Baertschi's role is top line, it definitely is not. Realistically though, who else can play there?

brokenhole

Aug 12, 2015
This management will do anything to protect their image next year, it's so obvious. They will rush a kid or two into the lineup ala McCann/Virtanen to appease the window lickers.

theoriginalBCF

Jan 29, 2018
I hate Jim Benning and Trevor Linden and watching this season has been painful.

With the Sedins possibly gone next year and the potential for a Tanev trade, the team could look a lot different next year in terms of vet players.

But there're also a few prospects who should be on the team next year if they have solid summers and impress in camp. Right now, I have Pettersson, Gaudette, and Demko on penciled in for next year.

What prospects do you think will make the team next year?

Pettersson, Gaudette, Juolevi, Sautner

I expect Lind, Gadjovic, Dahlen (Unless he has an incredible camp and preseason)

I know this. I am buying tickets to Penticton this year!!

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Gaudette is the guy I'm pushing for most. He looked like an NHL-ready third line center as early as last preseason.

I'll never understand this dissatisfaction with Baertschi playing high up in the line-up. He's a great complementary guy to have playing with better players.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Gaudette is the guy I'm pushing for most. He looked like an NHL-ready third line center as early as last preseason.

I'll never understand this dissatisfaction with Baertschi playing high up in the line-up. He's a great complementary guy to have playing with better players.
Because as long as Baert's in the top six it's a constant reminder that we have nobody better to play with Horvat and Boeser than a soft, injury-prone guy who's never scored more than 40 points in a season at 25.
------------------------------
And I say Gaudette makes the team easily, Pettersson might be knocking on the door if he's physically strong enough, and even though the team will try every conceivable d pairing combination to make Juolevi look good in preseason, he'll still go to Utica.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If the Canucks are serious about a true 'rebuild', then Gaudette, Demko, Goldy, Juolevi, Pettersson and maybe even Dahlen are on the opening night roster....and Motte, Leipsic and Pouliot who have basically just one NHL season under their belts, are also strong possibiliies....of course it all depends on the Sedins and how active Jimbo might be in free-agency....a scary thought indeed.

I wouldn't lose a minute's sleep if by some miracle the Canucks could unload the contracts of Sutter, Gudbranson, Eriksson, Gagner and Del Zotto...but of course we all know that isn't happening.

Reactions: pomorick

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Because as long as Baert's in the top six it's a constant reminder that we have nobody better to play with Horvat and Boeser than a soft, injury-prone guy who's never scored more than 40 points in a season at 25.
He's played like a pretty polished and well-rounded 45 point player for the last few years playing primarily with Horvat and a revolving door line-mate in a 1st/2nd line capacity. Honestly, I don't think that's too bad.
If you had a legitimate first line of two play-driving PPG forwards playing, with Baertschi playing the complementary/support role, not only would his numbers look more respectable, the line itself would be pretty typical of a good 1st line, and I don't think he would look out of place, personally.

I can understand the argument that age-wise he's outside of our window, but in terms of actual performance and role, I think he's among the least of our problems.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad