Speculation: What prospects are going to make the team next season?

Tom sestito

Oct 27, 2014
I hate Jim Benning and Trevor Linden and watching this season has been painful.

With the Sedins possibly gone next year and the potential for a Tanev trade, the team could look a lot different next year in terms of vet players.

But there're also a few prospects who should be on the team next year if they have solid summers and impress in camp. Right now, I have Pettersson, Gaudette, and Demko on penciled in for next year.

What prospects do you think will make the team next year?

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
I don't know that Dahlen will. I suspect Demko, Pettersson, Gaudette, and Juolevi are near locks. Then it depends on who we draft, but aside from Dahlin, Svetch and Zadina, I am not sure if any of the others are ready to walk right in.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
I thought everything is pointing to the Sedins coming back next year? And Benning trading Tanev just doesn’t seem likely, he’s our version of JVR every trade deadline the media and fans go nuts about a trade that never happens.

Patterson and Juolevi should both make the team next year

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
NHL

Gaudette
RockHard
Demko (a few games mostly AHL tho)

AHL

Dahlen
Lind
Brassard
Palmu
Gadvodich

ECHL

Juolevi

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I think Pettersson and juolevi will be on the team no matter what. Dahlen and Gaudette will get some games. Maybe a cup of coffee for a couple others.

We will also sign some worthless trash in the offseason so there won't be as many spots as it seems.

Reactions: vancityluongo

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Juolevi, Pettersson and Gaudette will make the team

Dahlen and Lind will make the team in a year or two. They will get call up for a few games here and there.

Gadjovich if he ever makes the team, He is about 3yrs a way. Won't be surprise if he doesn't make it to the nhl

Demko not sure

Hopefully One of Dahlin, Svechnikov, Zadina or Tkachuk

BassMason

Dec 1, 2006
Petterson for sure. Everybody else is a maybe. Kind of hoping we stack Utica rather than push prospects on the big club.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
The team can't afford the bad publicity of Juolevi not making it, so even if he plays the entire camp on roller skates with his stick upside down, I suspect he is on the team (to start the year, at least... who knows what Green does with him thereafter).
Exactly this. A slight negative public perception clearly trumps hockey decisions in this market. See Erik Guberson

Reactions: Jyrki21

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I don’t see Demko making it. We already have two goaltenders signed to contracts that no one is taking on. Well, someone might take Markstrom but that would be a very bad move for the team.

Juolevi makes it purely for optics and I bet we trade Hutton to make space. Pettersson makes it but gets press box shafted multiple times for reasons.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I think the Sedins will be back, and I don't see the Canucks succeeding in trading any of the obvious candidates (Granlund, Baertschi, or Gagner). Even Goldobin will require waivers, and the team might be unable to get anything for him and unwilling to risk losing him for nothing. That leaves very little room, so I'm predicting that of the forward prospects only Pettersson makes it. Like most, I see them forcing Juolevi onto the squad.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
Assuming the Sedins retire, Pettersson will almost certainly make the team out of training camp. I also think Demko and Juolevi will make the team - but it may take some roster moves, so possibly not right out of training camp.

We have a crowd of "tweeners" at basically every position on this team. On Defense, it Stecher, Hutton, Pouliot and Del Zotto. At the forward positions it's Granlund, Baertschi and Leipsic. We also have Eriksson who is an over paid 4th liner. In goal it's Nilsson. Benning / Linden have pretty consistently ensured that there are veterans to compete with rookies and prospects for roster spots.

If Demko has a strong training camp, he should make the team and let the cards fall where ever on Nilsson.

That said - there will undoubtedly be some moves at the draft and/or around the UFA window. I could see Benning pursuing Evander Kane, or trying to re-sign Thomas Vanek as free agents. I could also see the team moving Hutton or Tanev at the draft (particularly if we win the lottery).

Lind, Dahlen, Gadjovich and Palmu likely spend the entire season in Utica. Adam Gaudette hasn't pulled on a game jersey yet but there is a chance he could make the team by mid-season. Goldobin is on the bubble because he will be waiver eligible next season. Eriksson's NMC converts to a NTC next season, so he could conceivable be waived and sent to Utica as well, however they will probably first try to have him provide some defensive structure on Pettersson's wing.

Reactions: Index

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
What I WANT to see.

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser
Dahlen-Pettersson-Goldobin
Leipsic-Gaudette-Virtanen
Archibald-Gaunce-Granlund

Juolevi-Tanev
Edler-Stecher
Hutton-Biega

Markstrom
Demko

What we will actually see

Sedin-Sedin-Gagner
Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser
Granlund-Sutter-Eriksson
Jokinen-Dowd-Virtanen

Edler-Gudbranson
MDZ-Tanev
Pouliot-Biega

Markstrom
Nilsson

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Pettersson and Gaudette should make the team out of training camp

If drafted, any of Svechnikov, Zadina, or Dahlin, have a good chance of starting in Vancouver.

Demko should get 20-30 games next year provided something is done with Nilsson in the summer.

Juolevi should start in Utica and will be one of the first call-ups when injuries hit.

Lind, Dahlen, and Gadjovich should all be in Utica all year.

Reactions: VancouverJagger

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
If juolevi can't crack the roster... yikes. I wouldn't mind sending him down fir half the year in Utica.

What I think happens though

Petterson , gaudette , dahlen , demko juolevi

Dump granlund , gaunce , dowd ,

ihaveyuidonttouchme

MrShiftbyShiftGuy
Feb 21, 2009
Vancouver
www.youtube.com
dont see any 100% lock at the moment except our first rounders but majority will get a good deep look
my real question is how many spots are available for these guys? probably too early speculate
having said that
like my chances
1st pick this yr (not sure about Boqvist/Hughes probably 1 SHL season/1 more college)(forwards have good chances/ Bouchard/Dobson too)
Pettersson
Gaudette (might get some AHL stints then called up or at least not a whole season)
Lind should def get a long look
dahlen ahl bound first
Juolevi not a lock but need to be a favorite (it'll be a huge dissapointment if he doesnt again)
everyone else is full time AHLer or wherever

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
Assuming the Sedins retire, Pettersson will almost certainly make the team out of training camp. I also think Demko and Juolevi will make the team - but it may take some roster moves, so possibly not right out of training camp.

We have a crowd of "tweeners" at basically every position on this team. On Defense, it Stecher, Hutton, Pouliot and Del Zotto. At the forward positions it's Granlund, Baertschi and Leipsic. We also have Eriksson who is an over paid 4th liner. In goal it's Nilsson. Benning / Linden have pretty consistently ensured that there are veterans to compete with rookies and prospects for roster spots.

If Demko has a strong training camp, he should make the team and let the cards fall where ever on Nilsson.

That said - there will undoubtedly be some moves at the draft and/or around the UFA window. I could see Benning pursuing Evander Kane, or trying to re-sign Thomas Vanek as free agents. I could also see the team moving Hutton or Tanev at the draft (particularly if we win the lottery).

Lind, Dahlen, Gadjovich and Palmu likely spend the entire season in Utica. Adam Gaudette hasn't pulled on a game jersey yet but there is a chance he could make the team by mid-season. Goldobin is on the bubble because he will be waiver eligible next season. Eriksson's NMC converts to a NTC next season, so he could conceivable be waived and sent to Utica as well, however they will probably first try to have him provide some defensive structure on Pettersson's wing.
Well since Benning has stated that our defence is our area of strength i see pretty much the same results next season also.With Pettersson in the line up possibly we might score a little more with him and Brock.Injurys Again,can not be used as a excuse.Sorry Tanev you have run outta them.I pray we win the draft lotto as we so need a stud defenceman.But im not holding my breath over it.I see this team next season again in the bottom 5.

Reactions: Index

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
If we have 4-6 rookies in the lineup, plus Brock, Stecher, Liepsic, Horvat, Virtanen, Hutton, et al, we would have to be in contention for the youngest team in the league. Especially if the Sedins are done, and Tanev gets moved.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Why do people keep putting Baertschi in the first line or even the top-6? The guy has never scored 40 points and can't stay healthy for 70 games in a season. He has a few nice games here and there when paired with Horvat and/or Boeser but is nowhere near deserving a top-line roster spot. He's 25 now too, what you see is pretty much what you get and the constant injuries are not going to help him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad