What probability do you feel Ovechkin has to catch Gretzky now? (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HurricaneFanatic

Jan 16, 2020
Yeah, unfortunately i have just brought myself to the realization he is going to do it.

I didn't think he would when this season started. He seemed slow, disinterested, and just seemed off.

But the last month or so, just unreal.

165 to go. I mean, yeah. If he wants it, it's his. He will likely be what, around 158 to go when this season is over? A 50 goal season next year and he's 100 away, he blew through the 600s and is blowing through the 700s like nothing.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
Yeah, unfortunately i have just brought myself to the realization he is going to do it.

I didn't think he would when this season started. He seemed slow, disinterested, and just seemed off.

But the last month or so, just unreal.

165 to go. I mean, yeah. If he wants it, it's his. He will likely be what, around 158 to go when this season is over? A 50 goal season next year and he's 100 away, he blew through the 600s and is blowing through the 700s like nothing.

I think one week of training camp is so tough the older you get. Throw in the 4 game Covid suspension and then he really fell behind.

HurricaneFanatic

Jan 16, 2020
Since the start of his age 30 season until today Ovechkin has scored 255 goals and counting.

From the start of Gretzky's age 30 season until he retired, Gretzky scored 176 goals.

Just shows you how many goals Gretzky scored during his 20's and that Ovechkin is making up the difference at the end of his career.
I mean, like most goal scorers haha. 30 was usually the age they fell off, Ovi is just different.
Yeah, Gretzky had the bad back and all through his 30s that for sure cost him some goals, but it's still a fact that over 30 is old for goal scoring.

DowJones

Aug 30, 2008
But a top ten player of all times shouldn't be outproduced by 5-6-7-8 guys on a regular basis. Just my opinion. It's top ten of all time. That is a beyond insane group to belong to, and Ovie is not one of them.
You might want to break down goal scoring stats since OV entered the league and reconsider... And even do the time intensive boring work to campare reasonable adjusted numbers to the other eras.

HurricaneFanatic

Jan 16, 2020
As long as it doesn't come out later that Ovi took PED's in his 30s, then it would be kind of cool to see him challenge the record.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
So you don’t have any defenseman or goalie ahead of Ovechkin?

The last top-100 was put up 3 years ago and Ovechkin was ranked 22nd. He won 2 rockets since so it’s safe to say he would go up 4-6 spots now. If you think ranking Ovi around 15 is embarrassing maybe you are the one underestimating the bulky careers of a lot of players.
Having Ovi at 22 3 years ago was laughable in that poll.

Reactions: DowJones

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
Yeah, but there is really no explanation for how he is still scoring like this at this age. The man is a machine that this sport will likely never see again.
He’s just a freak of nature.

32 year old season: 3rd most goals in history, with both guys ahead playing in higher scoring eras

33 year old season: 2nd most goals in history

34 year old season: Most goals ever scored in a 34 year old season, AND he had the season cut short cause of COVID

35 year old season: 41 goals would have been second all time, and 51 would have tied for first. Ovechkin easily would have at least been #2 had this been a full season.

Ovechkins seasons post 30 are completely untouched, as most guys ahead of him in the few individual seasons weren’t able to sustain it for as long as Ovi has.

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
You might want to break down goal scoring stats since OV entered the league and reconsider... And even do the time intensive boring work to campare reasonable adjusted numbers to the other eras.
I mean a certain #87 hasn't struggled to be above ppg every season, so I don't really need to dive into any adjustable stats? Ovie is second in line from his own generation unless he'll get the record.

In regards to the chase for 894, next season will surely be interesting to see. But that's pretty much how I've thought about the past 6-7 years, and Ovie hasn't slowed down. I think 40+ next season is a must, because even Ovie won't rebound as a 37 year old.

Also, so people get how hard it is to reach 894. Ovie still needs another 164 goals. That's more than a certain supersniper Laine has gotten in his whole career so far. Five seasons in a prime age.

Last edited:
Reactions: HurricaneFanatic

HurricaneFanatic

Jan 16, 2020
This was one record i never ever in my life thought would ever be broken yet here we are. Go for it OVI hopefully he doesnt get screwed by any more short seasons and stays healthy. I wanna see him do it i mean what a celebration and accomplishment that would be.
I think more guys have a chance of reaching 700-800 now as the game has opened up again, but yeah 894.. unreal.
Assist record and total points will never be caught though.

HurricaneFanatic

Jan 16, 2020
I mean a certain #87 hasn't struggled to be above ppg every season, so I don't really need to dive into any adjustable stats? Ovie is second in line from his own generation unless he'll get the record.

In regards to the chase for 894, next season will surely be interesting to see. But that's pretty much how I've thought about the past 6-7 years, and Ovie hasn't slowed down. I think 40+ next season is a must, because even Ovie won't rebound as a 37 year old.

Also, so people get how hard it is to reach 894. Ovie still needs another 164 goals. That's more than a certain supersniper Laine has gotten in his whole career so far. Five seasons in a prime age.
Yeah, it's still a lot, but Ovi just doesn't seem to be slowing down. But, you never know when father time will hit and hit hard. LeBron James is another athletic freak that doesn't seem to be slowing down with age. So we are watching 2 records, Goals and Career NBA points getting tested.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario

If he does what Selanne did from his age 36 season and on it will be a breeze for him.

Simply comes down to health and desire for Ovechkin.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Its really the same old argument. Do you value a goal the same as an assist? Ovechkin has more goals than assists because his team is set up for that. When there is 1 50 goal scorer and 20 50 assist scorers, I see one thing as more difficult than the other. Have you ever asked yourself how a player with so many shots on goal doesnt pile up assists from teammates scoring his rebounds?

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Honestly, even with a decline, he can still probably compile to that number.

That slap shot will probably still be there even if speed and quickness declines.

A few 5-on-5 plays, a few deflections, the rest just smashing slap shots from the circle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad