What price do you re-sign Stastny for 6-7 years deal?(Max.)

TheFactor

Johnny Malkin
Mar 25, 2011
Calgary
I think Duchene's 6M cap hit should be the limit on the team. We should be able to resign both O'reilly and Staz for 5-7yrs at 5.75M per year. I mean, Landeskog is making 5.57 and hes basically scoring as much as ROR is right now and has more points. Paying them more than 6M is understandable since the market has changed since last summer, but I personally hope they're both reasonable in negotiations and don't demand more than 6M per on a long-term deal.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I think Duchene's 6M cap hit should be the limit on the team. We should be able to resign both O'reilly and Staz for 5-7yrs at 5.75M per year. I mean, Landeskog is making 5.57 and hes basically scoring as much as ROR is right now and has more points. Paying them more than 6M is understandable since the market has changed since last summer, but I personally hope they're both reasonable in negotiations and don't demand more than 6M per on a long-term deal.

Landy and Duchene will both have RFA years in their contract, Stastny will be UFA for the whole contract. That should bump up his price, a lot.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
So you'd have Duchene, ROR, Landy and Stastny all making around ~6M a year and all locked for 4-5 years?

Sounds great, but weird at the same time.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Landy and Duchene will both have RFA years in their contract, Stastny will be UFA for the whole contract. That should bump up his price, a lot.

Unless he's trading some of that UFA money for the security of a long term deal. (ie: signing for 6 or 7 years).

TheFactor

Johnny Malkin
Mar 25, 2011
Calgary

Yeah i understand. I know this never happens but he should be a little reasonable. He was pretty over-paid in his contract at 6.6M per. If he takes a home town discount at below 6M for 5 years that wouldn't be that big of a deal.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Yeah i understand. I know this never happens but he should be a little reasonable. He was pretty over-paid in his contract at 6.6M per. If he takes a home town discount at below 6M for 5 years that wouldn't be that big of a deal.

Problem is there are teams like Toronto, Edmonton who are ready to offer likes of Clarkson huge 8 year deals. They wouldn't even think twice doing same offer for Stastny. After all STastny is way better player. Stastny could wait till summer and get offers for $7 mil+ a season. Sounds crazy, but I don't think with current market, It wouldn't be unreasonable.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
I went 4.75M, only because I really do not want Stastny on a 6-7 year deal.

Way too long. If we're signing him to that long of a term, he has to give concessions. Sure make his salary 6 or 7 on the front end but the back end I'd want considerably less.

This is pretty much how I feel about the issue.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
$7m. It's an overpayment, but I wouldn't lose stastny for nothing over an extra million or so. Beyond $7 starts to get a little to rich for me.

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
I want too keep him, but at under 7 for sure... Too many Gomez stories...
We could use the money to sign up another player at 7 plus.....

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'd go up to 6.5m for whatever term he wanted. By the end of the contract 6.5m won't be much, and as long as he doesn't have a full NTC he can be traded.

Ideally for the Avs, the best deal would be 3 years 15-18m, but Stastny isn't going to give up term like that. I expect a 5-6 year deal worth 5.5-6.5m per with a limited NTC.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Pretty much an open checkbook at this point. His play has been huge this season but I am worried that his play was also huge right before his last contract...that's part of the business though. A lot of players play great in contract years.

The key though is to keep it an honest contract and I would prefer to not have a no-trade clause. Signed long term, he could become a very good trade chip if it ever got to that point. Honestly though...I don't see things going there but it would be nice to know that option was available if the team was going to pay the going price for him. If he gives a hometown discount that makes it worthwhile...then I don't have a problem with a NTC. Not sure what that dollar amount is though. Would 5.5M and a NTC get the deal done vs 6.5M and we can trade you tomorrow to the Panthers if it makes sense work? I really think in the long-term 1M per year won't cause it to blow up...it's the issue of finding the happy spot between salary and movement options that is the danger. Stastny can get paid on the market and I'm sure if he is traded that he is going to want to be able to have input on his destination...I don't blame him for that one bit. I just hope it never gets to that point and both sides can find some middle ground they are happy with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad