What players wanted out of Edmonton or did not want to play for Edmonton over the years?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Actual a few parents fly in and live with their kids when they start there career--it is in some cases parents being parents but in other times it was something the team agreed with to help ease the player into the nhl and it is not unusual for European players to have family come over with them as well

It doesn't translate entirely well into the working migrant nature of Edmonton. people from all over the nation come here to work. 18 or younger or older. They come on their own, find their way on their own. Its the nature of this place.

Just saying it didn't translate well with the team. Same dynamic probably impacted with Yakupov.

A significant amount of NA NHL kids have billeted out of town since they were 14. They had to say goodbye to their parents as far as living there when teens. So it would seem strange to them that somebody in their 20's was living with mom in tow. I mean lets put this in perspective. Joni was 24 yrs old when he came here. Had already been in the NHL 3 seasons.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Has anyone mentioned the report that when they acquired Visnovsky , they moved him and his wife (who didn't speak a word of English) out to Morinville?

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Pronger: I have to take a bit of responsibility with this one, having been short of firewood one evening and borrowing a certain crib to make a fire out of.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Probably the first player that I can recall that didn't want to be on the team was Mike Antonovich. He was traded to the Oil from Minnesota in the 1976-77 season. His stats coming over were 27-21-48 in 42 games. He then put up a dismal 1-1-2 in 7 games before the team cut their losses and sent him to New England, where he did 9-12-21 in 26 games.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
not a fan of this thread but I will help with the mud slinging

David Shaw never wanted to be an oiler and made it clear he wanted to be anywhere else---So after 11 games he got shipped to Minnesota

He spent all his nhl career out east and I think that is what he wanted

there is a shoe story with Shaw--but I do not know if it is true-- Sparky told a story one time but with Sparky he liked taking the mickey out of players sometimes

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Has anyone mentioned the report that when they acquired Visnovsky , they moved him and his wife (who didn't speak a word of English) out to Morinville?

I am 99% sure LV problem was not coming to Edmonton -it was he traded before a NTC or NMC kicked in-he had just signed a new deal, reportedly bought a house and then got traded to Edmonton. As for the wife--she spoke better english then some players--had a thick accent--problem was more along the fact she did some modeling in LA

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Riley Nash

that has to do with OBC guys telling him he should not go to Cornell and go to JRs--depending who is telling the story it sounds like right after the draft the Nash family told the oilers he was going to UNI and the Oilers need to deal with it--oilers were not put off reportedly and then again tried to have Nash go to JR and not UNI that fall and the bridge was burned after that point in time

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
that has to do with OBC guys telling him he should not go to Cornell and go to JRs--depending who is telling the story it sounds like right after the draft the Nash family told the oilers he was going to UNI and the Oilers need to deal with it--oilers were not put off reportedly and then again tried to have Nash go to JR and not UNI that fall and the bridge was burned after that point in time

Interesting, thanks, I never knew the full story on that but I'm not surprised that the OBC did what they did.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Interesting, thanks, I never knew the full story on that but I'm not surprised that the OBC did what they did.

While no one ever went on record--a few people from Cornell did suggested the relationship between the Oilers and Nash went south very quickly after the draft and that the Nash camp may have informed the NHLPA to tell the oilers they wanted to contact from the organisation. It comes down to who's side you want to believe.

Here is an article from the Journal were it sort of suggests after the draft the oilers were not happy about him going to Cornell--but changed their minds-- I think they were trying to rebuild a bridge they burnt with the kid

Oilers now content to let Nash stay at Cornell. Duh!

Why the seeming change of heart from Prendergast?
Of course, Prendergast wants things to sound like things are running well in his department.
Maybe Nash has made it clear that’s what he’s going to do, stay at Cornell, so the Oilers have decided not to upset this young prospect and to be supportive of him.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
This is a ridiculous notion, Souray was put in the AHL cause he complained about how management treated injured players.
Yup. Its ridiculous and joe knows better. Sheldon Souray was scapegoated by Katz, Lowe and Tamby for too much truth telling. Then the vindictive sobs tried to end his career. Locking him out of camp (who does that?), trashing him in the media and so on and so forth. Fans who don't know much about business post inane stuff like 'he got waived, and nobody took him'. Yeah, no shit Sherlock. Everyone in the league knew the Oilers were either going to buy him out or let the contract run out. Why would anyone pay over $5 million for an asset that you know you'll be able to talk to for free if you just show a little patience? Some posts on this site are so embarrassing. Even after everything this fan base has been through there are still so many blind defenders of management. Souray is a f***ing hero. And he wanted to play in Edmonton. Loved the fans here.

As for the utterly false notion that 'nobody wanted him' ... wonder why he was signed the first day he was eligible as a FA? Wonder why the Dallas management and players praised his on/off ice leadership and admitted they just couldn't afford to resign him? Wonder why he then went on to get another big contract with the Ducks before the injuries finally caught up with him? Wonder why some fans still can't see the truth?

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
I blame Terry Jones for running Arnott out of Edmonton--Jones wrote a story about how Arnott had become a father after a fling--there was no need for that and as we now know--during the glory years several players had kids out of wedlock via one night stands

Which players beside anderson?

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Yup. Its ridiculous and joe knows better. Sheldon Souray was scapegoated by Katz, Lowe and Tamby for too much truth telling. Then the vindictive sobs tried to end his career. Locking him out of camp (who does that?), trashing him in the media and so on and so forth. Fans who don't know much about business post inane stuff like 'he got waived, and nobody took him'. Yeah, no **** Sherlock. Everyone in the league knew the Oilers were either going to buy him out or let the contract run out. Why would anyone pay over $5 million for an asset that you know you'll be able to talk to for free if you just show a little patience? Some posts on this site are so embarrassing. Even after everything this fan base has been through there are still so many blind defenders of management. Souray is a ****ing hero. And he wanted to play in Edmonton. Loved the fans here.

As for the utterly false notion that 'nobody wanted him' ... wonder why he was signed the first day he was eligible as a FA? Wonder why the Dallas management and players praised his on/off ice leadership and admitted they just couldn't afford to resign him? Wonder why he then went on to get another big contract with the Ducks before the injuries finally caught up with him? Wonder why some fans still can't see the truth?

Bingo, any fans that blame the Souray fiasco on Souray himself should go listen to his talk on the Spittin chiclets podcast a few weeks ago. Management screwed him essentially, and one can bet he wasn’t the only one, and he got to the point he wanted it known what was happening. Management then trashed him and tried to make him look like a cancer. Even after all that Souray tried to put it all behind him and just play hockey and they literally wouldn’t let him near the team, and tried to force him to wuit his contract multiple times so they could get out of it, and all he wanted to do was play.

Souray has been one of the classiest guys who has never publicly said anything bad about the city or the fans after everything he went through.

Reactions: Shane Goudie

Shane Goudie

Jul 8, 2009
Like someone mentioned already, management is one of the main factors in players not liking Edmonton. I also blame uppity hockey wives and girlfriends who would rather sponge off their husbands living in the sun belt rather than in Edmonton. I just don't buy it when people say the players themselves don't like the weather. They spend half the winter on the road as it is, how bad can it be to spend the other half in Edmonton or Winnipeg?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Which players beside anderson?

sent you a DM

due to rules I can not post names--I am trying to find the any article from the 90's that maybe on line

One guy went to court in Vancouver but ended up settling when the paternity test came back---his wife--who he is still married to was not that happy--but the relationship predated theirs.#

the OBC got good at getting lawyers involved and keeping things out of the press

you just need to look at how the Fuhr story broke and what happened to the two reporters who broke it

FanOfSadTeam

Dec 12, 2010
A bunch of players after the 06 Cup run? Peca, Spacek, Samsanov, Pronger.

Oh and every player with a NTC.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Coffey had nothing against Edmonton. If he'd felt more love from Sather (and gotten more money -- at the time he making 50% of Bourque' salary), he'd have preferred to stay.

Gretzky loved Edmonton; he just grew too big for the city, and anyway he and Pocklington had a battles of wills in '88.

Jimmy Carson is the first guy I remember who wanted out. How much of that was down to the city itself and how much was down to him being more into Fortune 500 than winning championships, I don't know. I do remember reliable media people saying on radio that Carson had dissed Edmonton when he was traded, calling it a hick-town, etc. (Carson seemed to think Detroit was some sort of a paradise by comparison, weirdly.)

Then begins the era of uncertainty in the early-90s. I don't think Bernie Nicholls had anything against Edmonton, and he played pretty hard when he was there. (I was at one of his last games, at the Coliseum, in late December '92, and he was still smiling and playing with little kids in the stands and generally looking like a happy guy.) Obviously, Edmonton wasn't a party-town like L.A. or New York, so it was going to be step down in fun-value. Damphousse used his wife as an excuse to get out. He seemed to go really quietly, like a sheep passing in the night.

By the mid-90s, suddenly it's the free-agency era, which, combined with the low-Canadian dollar of the time, conspired to turn Edmonton into a "no-go" zone for NHL players. The more powerful owners basically conspired to kill small-city franchises like Edmonton back then, and almost succeeded. That's why the late-90s team was so easy to love, even if 'dollar-Bill Guerin' was just chasing greenbacks.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Coffey had nothing against Edmonton. If he'd felt more love from Sather (and gotten more money -- at the time he making 50% of Bourque' salary), he'd have preferred to stay.

Gretzky loved Edmonton; he just grew too big for the city, and anyway he and Pocklington had a battles of wills in '88.

Jimmy Carson is the first guy I remember who wanted out. How much of that was down to the city itself and how much was down to him being more into Fortune 500 than winning championships, I don't know. I do remember reliable media people saying on radio that Carson had dissed Edmonton when he was traded, calling it a hick-town, etc. (Carson seemed to think Detroit was some sort of a paradise by comparison, weirdly.)

Then begins the era of uncertainty in the early-90s. I don't think Bernie Nicholls had anything against Edmonton, and he played pretty hard when he was there. (I was at one of his last games, at the Coliseum, in late December '92, and he was still smiling and playing with little kids in the stands and generally looking like a happy guy.) Obviously, Edmonton wasn't a party-town like L.A. or New York, so it was going to be step down in fun-value. Damphousse used his wife as an excuse to get out. He seemed to go really quietly, like a sheep passing in the night.

By the mid-90s, suddenly it's the free-agency era, which, combined with the low-Canadian dollar of the time, conspired to turn Edmonton into a "no-go" zone for NHL players. The more powerful owners basically conspired to kill small-city franchises like Edmonton back then, and almost succeeded. That's why the late-90s team was so easy to love, even if 'dollar-Bill Guerin' was just chasing greenbacks.
Great post. I remember all those things as you’ve stated them. One thing I’d like to add about the players in the late eighties and early nineties leaving over money that hasn’t been mentioned yet is salaries weren’t always paid in US dollars. Back then, you were paid in the currency of the country you signed your deal in. If you were traded to a Canadian team from an American team you still got paid in US dollars. I think that played a big part in players wanting to leave too. It was bad enough Pocklington was cheap but players took another 15-20% hit just for signing here. It wasn’t until the mid nineties or so before everyone got paid in US dollars.

oilers2k10

Yak Don't Back Down
Mar 18, 2010
Great summer post

Petr Nedved - Think this was wife related

Tobias Rieder v1.0 - Never played for the Oilers but wanted out due to depth on the wing

Jason Arnott - This broke my heart as a kid. I know it was mostly the media's fault but still I felt he didn't want to be there any longer

Doug Weight - Left for money and opportunity, couldn't blame him.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
sent you a DM

due to rules I can not post names--I am trying to find the any article from the 90's that maybe on line

One guy went to court in Vancouver but ended up settling when the paternity test came back---his wife--who he is still married to was not that happy--but the relationship predated theirs.#

the OBC got good at getting lawyers involved and keeping things out of the press

you just need to look at how the Fuhr story broke and what happened to the two reporters who broke it

If you're talking about the Fuhr story from August 31, 1990, David Staples was one of the Journal reporters. Haven't found who the other reporter was yet.

Edit: the others were Cam Cole and Tom Bennett.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad