What Player Will Boeser Be Going Forward

What Player Will Boeser Be Going Forward?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Qualifying offer doesn't mean much. It's not like his contract can't be lower over term. Boeser's not getting 7.5 if he doesn't improve from where he was at this year.

The QO is the baseline to the next contract. It is no coincidence that his ending number escalates into his final year.

Technically, the contract could be lower than his QO. It’s possible. What is probable is that it will be used as a negotiating floor and future UFA years taken up by a long-term deal only pushes the price further.

If he’s a 65-70~ point player from here on out, good luck getting him on a 7.5m AAV.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
The QO is the baseline to the next contract. It is no coincidence that his ending number escalates into his final year.

Technically, the contract could be lower than his QO. It’s possible. What is probable is that it will be used as a negotiating floor and future UFA years taken up by a long-term deal only pushes the price further.

If he’s a 65-70~ point player from here on out, good luck getting him on a 7.5m AAV.

People are reading way too much into it, which this fanbase loves to do. Lots of players have front-loaded or back-loaded deals for various reasons. Qualifying offers are meaningless for players at this level. 65-70 points might get 7.5, but it shouldn't if you're not bringing much else to the table and playing 3rd fiddle to your linemates. Especially with a flat cap and likely low comps signed during covid. Schenn signed for 6.5 as a slightly lower scorer but better all around player, Connor was at 7.14 with similar numbers, DeBrincat signed for 6.4 with a 40 goal season, Tkachuk signed for 7 with better numbers and better all around game. The last two were shorter term on their 2nd deals, but there's no reason he should be getting a significant bump if he doesn't improve.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
People are reading way too much into it, which this fanbase loves to do. Lots of players have front-loaded or back-loaded deals for various reasons. Qualifying offers are meaningless for players at this level. 65-70 points might get 7.5, but it shouldn't if you're not bringing much else to the table and playing 3rd fiddle to your linemates. Especially with a flat cap and likely low comps signed during covid. Schenn signed for 6.5 as a slightly lower scorer but better all around player, Connor was at 7.14 with similar numbers, DeBrincat signed for 6.4 with a 40 goal season, Tkachuk signed for 7 with better numbers and better all around game. The last two were shorter term on their 2nd deals, but there's no reason he should be getting a significant bump if he doesn't improve.

A team has to extend a qualifying offer to a restricted free agent to retain their rights. The qualifying offer is calculated by the players base salary from the season prior.

In Brock's case his next qualifying offer HAS to start with 7.5 million. The team could not qualify him, and he'd become a UFA and the team could try to negotiate a better deal, but then so could any other team. Or Boeser could refuse his QO and his rights would remain team property. The Canuck's can't give him a QO of less then 7.5.

That's it. It's why you see more and more young players who sign bridge contracts getting a big bump in the final year because it guarantees them a big pay day on their next contract.

Schenn was re-signed as an UFA. Debrincat and Tkachuk's QOs will be 9 million. Connor will be an UFA at the end of his deal.

DomY

Aug 11, 2008
Eh... I voted for the 2nd option but I think that's disingenuous to BB. I think he will be a 20+ goal scorer with a developing playmaking and defensive game. He won't be worth his QO on this team because he, in a perfect world, would be the 2nd or 3rd best RW option on the team like Kessel in Pitt.

People will point to Toffoli taking his spot on PP1 but Drance made a good point on radio and said it's reallly TJ Miller that took his spot in on the PP1, which more or less runs through him now.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Eh... I voted for the 2nd option but I think that's disingenuous to BB. I think he will be a 20+ goal scorer with a developing playmaking and defensive game. He won't be worth his QO on this team because he, in a perfect world, would be the 2nd or 3rd best RW option on the team like Kessel in Pitt.

People will point to Toffoli taking his spot on PP1 but Drance made a good point on radio and said it's reallly TJ Miller that took his spot in on the PP1, which more or less runs through him now.

Kessel in Pitt wasn't the 2nd or 3rd best RW option though. He just didn't work well with Sid.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I don't really like the options in this poll. I feel like there should be an option that's more along the lines of, "25-30G scorer who isn't much more well-rounded". That's kinda where i see him settling in at this point. I just don't see him suddenly blossoming into a significantly more well-rounded player. At this point, he's probably always going to be kinda on the slow side, kinda soft, lackluster or worse defensively, and not a real "playmaker" either. He is what he is. If he can re-find that shot a bit more, and the health comes back to him, and the skating comes back a bit as well...i think he's probably still that 25-30G scorer, 60pt sort of player if he's playing on a top line with top PP time.

Whether that's worth $7.5M like his QO or not, is tricky to nail down because there are so many market factors up in the air at that point.

By the time Boeser's bridge deal is up, he'll be old enough that any longer-term deal, he'll be negotiating largely on UFA years with a ton of leverage that drive the price up. A player like Jeff Skinner, who is probably in a similar realm as a player, suddenly became a $9M player as a UFA. So...:dunno: $7.5M is probably gonna look like reasonable "value" at that point, if you can actually even get him signed at that price point.

The bigger question though, is just philosophically whether or not that is the type of player you want to tie "core money" up in. Do you spend core money on a really 1-dimensional goal-scoring winger? Or do you try to move them at some point while they have real trade value, for a lesser piece in a position or role that you value more overall? I kinda lean toward the latter. You've gotta score goals, and that's important...but i'd be reticent to spend that sort of money on a guy who really isn't ever going to be a true line-driver, or make the players around him particularly better. Depth is so key in today's game. Especially when it comes to wingers. Gimme a stable full of versatile, well-rounded ~20G wingers all day, every day.

So i guess the option i really want to see there, is..."trade bait for a quality defenceman".

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I don't really like the options in this poll. I feel like there should be an option that's more along the lines of, "25-30G scorer who isn't much more well-rounded". That's kinda where i see him settling in at this point. I just don't see him suddenly blossoming into a significantly more well-rounded player. At this point, he's probably always going to be kinda on the slow side, kinda soft, lackluster or worse defensively, and not a real "playmaker" either. He is what he is. If he can re-find that shot a bit more, and the health comes back to him, and the skating comes back a bit as well...i think he's probably still that 25-30G scorer, 60pt sort of player if he's playing on a top line with top PP time.

The bigger question though, is just philosophically whether or not that is the type of player you want to tie "core money" up in. Do you spend core money on a really 1-dimensional goal-scoring winger? Or do you try to move them at some point while they have real trade value, for a lesser piece in a position or role that you value more overall? I kinda lean toward the latter. You've gotta score goals, and that's important...but i'd be reticent to spend that sort of money on a guy who really isn't ever going to be a true line-driver, or make the players around him particularly better. Depth is so key in today's game. Especially when it comes to wingers. Gimme a stable full of versatile, well-rounded ~20G wingers all day, every day.

So i guess the option i really want to see there, is..."trade bait for a quality defenceman".

I kinda disagree with this assessment. I thought Boeser took massive strides in being a more well-rounded two-way player, and I was pleased with that. His defensive metrics improved across the board and he became a much more effective forechecker, battler, and board presence.

Yeah, we'd all like him to find that shot + touch he had in his rookie season, but even despite "disappointing" production this season, he still played at a 65 point pace. 65 points with better two-way play? I'll take that. If he can get a bit better beyond that (likely through improved skating), Boeser will be a real core player. Even if he doesn't, I think $7.5 million might be close to fair value.

Of course, anyone is tradeable for the right price. If Boeser could return the right defenseman, then sure, trade him. But the biggest name being thrown out right now is Matt Dumba. And Dumba is absolutely NOT a player we should be moving Boeser for. Massively overrated and very poor defensively. Maybe a Parayko? Okay reasonable. Dumba? No thanks.

Harvey Spector

Aug 3, 2020
Vancouver
I would say if we are able to re-sign Toffoli then that would take a load off Boeser in terms of being the only right winger who has to score goals. Toffoli can play with Pettersson so I would play Boeser with Horvat and try and get that partnership going again. With Toffoli on board and taking pressure off of Boeser there is no reason why Brock can't get back to being a 30 goal scorer as soon as next season.

I don't believe he has a permanent wrist injury, I think it's his skating that needs to improve and also he is trying to be a 200' player so he is being more responsible defensively which is taking away somewhat from his scoring chances. As well, he is becoming a more complete player and a decent playmaker so he could work well with Horvat and Pearson next year on a second line.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
I previously compared Brock to the Sedins, in the sense where they are all competitive and have high IQ (though I'd rate the Sedins on the "elite" tier vs Brock a tier or two below) in terms of knowing where to be on the ice. But the key similarity is physical immaturity and a lack of speed and agility which can hopefully be overcome with training.

Brock's gaffes (IMHO) have often related to being a half-step too late or behind the play, or looking a bit gassed. Once that is sorted out his overall game should take step forward.

In the playoffs, it was heartening to see Brock step up with his chippiness and battle level, and he got our best chance in Game 7 by going to the net.

I see a Patrick Sharp type, a guy who will be a solid complementary offensive producer. Brock can not only score but he can make plays too. Even Perron could be a reasonable comparable if he can get a bit nastier.

He's still very early in his career and has faced some significant injuries. But I think these playoffs could have a real maturing effect on him.

Last edited:

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I would say if we are able to re-sign Toffoli then that would take a load off Boeser in terms of being the only right winger who has to score goals. Toffoli can play with Pettersson so I would play Boeser with Horvat and try and get that partnership going again. With Toffoli on board and taking pressure off of Boeser there is no reason why Brock can't get back to being a 30 goal scorer as soon as next season.

I don't believe he has a permanent wrist injury, I think it's his skating that needs to improve and also he is trying to be a 200' player so he is being more responsible defensively which is taking away somewhat from his scoring chances. As well, he is becoming a more complete player and a decent playmaker so he could work well with Horvat and Pearson next year on a second line.
Listening to Thomas Drance (TSN 1040 hockey guy) and he was saying Brock is a 70 point guy, when his points are extrapolated over 82 games. That’s a really important player, especially since (like you point out) he’s working hard on being a more physical 200’ player.

Reactions: Harvey Spector

DomY

Aug 11, 2008
Kessel in Pitt wasn't the 2nd or 3rd best RW option though. He just didn't work well with Sid.

That's fair. He ended up on the 3rd line with Bonino and Hagelin though was my point. Not suggesting we have 9 players as good as the SC winning Penguins but that would be the template I would follow.

I guess if I just wait a year we will have that anyways with Podkolzin coming in.

DomY

Aug 11, 2008
Listening to Thomas Drance (TSN 1040 hockey guy) and he was saying Brock is a 70 point guy, when his points are extrapolated over 82 games. That’s a really important player, especially since (like you point out) he’s working hard on being a more physical 200’ player.

I think I was listening to the same interview and he said he was maybe a 55 point guy going forward with an improved 2-way game.

Unless you meant JD Burke who thinks he's still a 65+ point, potential 30 goal guy, also with an improving 2-way game.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I think I was listening to the same interview and he said he was maybe a 55 point guy going forward with an improved 2-way game.

Unless you meant JD Burke who thinks he's still a 65+ point, potential 30 goal guy, also with an improving 2-way game.
Doesn’t matter which guy. Neither even laced up skates. Boeser is 206 pounds, smart, great shot, high compete, plays 200’, and is great. Imo, Only an idiot, which I think Benning is, would trade Boeser for Dumbo.

Harvey Spector

Aug 3, 2020
Vancouver

Yes I agree with that. Boeser could be a 70 point guy for sure, especially if we re-sign Toffoli which will put less pressure on him being the only scoring right winger. Play him with Horvat and Toffoli with Pettersson and see what happens. The wild card is Podkolzin. I think he will be a stud and a true power forward in the NHL. If he can switch over to the left wing position as he shoots left then you can play him with Horvat and Boeser. Not sure if Podkolzin can play the left side but if he can then our top 6 is set for a very long time, which is the hardest thing to do.

Add Demko who looks like a star in the making and Hughes and Rathbone on D and this team can challenge for a Cup sooner than people think.

Reactions: Luckylarry

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Voted option #3, a well-rounded 25-30 goal scorer.....but a good chance he'll eventually be surpassed on the top six depth chart by the likes of Hoglander and Podkolzin.

My prediction is that he eventually gets traded anyway, as an RFA a few seasons down the road. The interesting thing is whether the Canucks will be willing or can afford to sign him when his contract is up, since he'll be due a substantial raise on his bridge deal of $5.875m.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I kinda disagree with this assessment. I thought Boeser took massive strides in being a more well-rounded two-way player, and I was pleased with that. His defensive metrics improved across the board and he became a much more effective forechecker, battler, and board presence.

Yeah, we'd all like him to find that shot + touch he had in his rookie season, but even despite "disappointing" production this season, he still played at a 65 point pace. 65 points with better two-way play? I'll take that. If he can get a bit better beyond that (likely through improved skating), Boeser will be a real core player. Even if he doesn't, I think $7.5 million might be close to fair value.

Of course, anyone is tradeable for the right price. If Boeser could return the right defenseman, then sure, trade him. But the biggest name being thrown out right now is Matt Dumba. And Dumba is absolutely NOT a player we should be moving Boeser for. Massively overrated and very poor defensively. Maybe a Parayko? Okay reasonable. Dumba? No thanks.

He has taken some steps forward in improving his all-around game...but even "massive strides" (which i don't really agree he took), only kinda take him up to average-ish or serviceable in a lot of aspects. He's still not a particularly good forechecker or defensive player, his lack of speed holds him back there...and the skating hasn't really seemed to improve (may even have regressed with injury). He's still showing some pretty terrible puck management tendencies, in his own zone especially. He has taken some steps in being a better "puck possession player" offensively, as well as in his ability to get involved and connect some decent passes rather than just floating around waiting to get his shot off all the time. He's become a little bit more physically engaged, but it's still not a whole lot.

It's just that, even with notable improvement in a lot of those areas, he's still far from a "special" or even really "above average" player with respect to his all-around game. Which, not too far down the line...when you're starting to talk about a $7.5M player (which is probably a fair and reasonable "market value" expectation), you kinda hope for something a bit special. Which basically just comes down to his shot and goal-scoring instincts. That's the "special" dimension you're really paying for. So it's a twofold question from there.

1)Whether he's going to get back to where he was in that dimension as a reliable, take it to the bank perennial 30G+ guy, or more of a 20-25G guy he looked in the last stretch we saw of him?

2)Even if he is going to be that easy 30G+ every year guy, is that a piece that you want to lock in as one of your absolute "core" top-end salaries. I just think you have to be a bit selective in who you commit those long-term $7.5M+ type contracts to.

Pettersson and Hughes are going to be absolute bank-breakers coming up on the horizon. Horvat isn't signed at a bargain forever, and whether it's Markstrom now...or Demko in a bit, there's going to have to be substantial money going into the goaltender. So that's kinda your "core money". Is there room for Boeser to be part of that group?

I'd liken it to the quandary the Leafs have run into with allocating their "core money" and how they've handled Nylander, specifically. Same type of player as Boeser in a lot of respects, and really talking about the same ballpark $$$ value probably. They had to decide if Nylander was a guy they wanted to commit to as part of that core money, and they did. But it's where i think they went wrong, and now have a crazy top-heavy cap structure where i think Nylander is really the piece that tips the scales too far...on a player who is effectively quite one-dimensional.

Ideally, we would keep everyone including Boeser. We really aren't in a position to be losing 20-30 Goals like that. But cap-wise, i think something's gotta give...and we have a real need on the blueline that i think is probably harder to bandaid than at least partially replacing Boeser's goal-scoring from the wing by committee. :dunno:

Dumba certainly isn't the right piece to do that for. Absolutely agree there. And you're not getting a guy like Parayko for Boeser (especially not with Pietro potentially leaving them). Realistically, i'd be hoping for something like maybe Brett Pesce or Josh Manson. I think that's more the market you're shooting for in a swap for a winger like Boeser. But options are slim out there, and there's a good chance that you'd have to do something more like the Drouin for Sergachev swap, trying to pick your spot on a much more unproven piece with "upside". Which would make it even riskier.

It absolutely has to be the right piece. But unless you think Boeser is going to radically morph into a very different player in the next little while, i believe you have to seriously evaluate whether he's going to be a core big money piece for the long-term future, and explore moving him right now while there's top value in it. And for me, expecting a radical growth in a player (winger specifically) at what will be 24 years of age and 3 full NHL seasons under his belt, and a generally pretty flat trajectory, seems fairly dubious. Not impossible, but i wouldn't count on it.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
He has taken some steps forward in improving his all-around game...but even "massive strides" (which i don't really agree he took), only kinda take him up to average-ish or serviceable in a lot of aspects. He's still not a particularly good forechecker or defensive player, his lack of speed holds him back there...and the skating hasn't really seemed to improve (may even have regressed with injury). He's still showing some pretty terrible puck management tendencies, in his own zone especially. He has taken some steps in being a better "puck possession player" offensively, as well as in his ability to get involved and connect some decent passes rather than just floating around waiting to get his shot off all the time. He's become a little bit more physically engaged, but it's still not a whole lot.

It's just that, even with notable improvement in a lot of those areas, he's still far from a "special" or even really "above average" player with respect to his all-around game. Which, not too far down the line...when you're starting to talk about a $7.5M player (which is probably a fair and reasonable "market value" expectation), you kinda hope for something a bit special. Which basically just comes down to his shot and goal-scoring instincts. That's the "special" dimension you're really paying for. So it's a twofold question from there.

1)Whether he's going to get back to where he was in that dimension as a reliable, take it to the bank perennial 30G+ guy, or more of a 20-25G guy he looked in the last stretch we saw of him?

2)Even if he is going to be that easy 30G+ every year guy, is that a piece that you want to lock in as one of your absolute "core" top-end salaries. I just think you have to be a bit selective in who you commit those long-term $7.5M+ type contracts to.

Pettersson and Hughes are going to be absolute bank-breakers coming up on the horizon. Horvat isn't signed at a bargain forever, and whether it's Markstrom now...or Demko in a bit, there's going to have to be substantial money going into the goaltender. So that's kinda your "core money". Is there room for Boeser to be part of that group?

I'd liken it to the quandary the Leafs have run into with allocating their "core money" and how they've handled Nylander, specifically. Same type of player as Boeser in a lot of respects, and really talking about the same ballpark $$$ value probably. They had to decide if Nylander was a guy they wanted to commit to as part of that core money, and they did. But it's where i think they went wrong, and now have a crazy top-heavy cap structure where i think Nylander is really the piece that tips the scales too far...on a player who is effectively quite one-dimensional.

Ideally, we would keep everyone including Boeser. We really aren't in a position to be losing 20-30 Goals like that. But cap-wise, i think something's gotta give...and we have a real need on the blueline that i think is probably harder to bandaid than at least partially replacing Boeser's goal-scoring from the wing by committee. :dunno:

Dumba certainly isn't the right piece to do that for. Absolutely agree there. And you're not getting a guy like Parayko for Boeser (especially not with Pietro potentially leaving them). Realistically, i'd be hoping for something like maybe Brett Pesce or Josh Manson. I think that's more the market you're shooting for in a swap for a winger like Boeser. But options are slim out there, and there's a good chance that you'd have to do something more like the Drouin for Sergachev swap, trying to pick your spot on a much more unproven piece with "upside". Which would make it even riskier.

It absolutely has to be the right piece. But unless you think Boeser is going to radically morph into a very different player in the next little while, i believe you have to seriously evaluate whether he's going to be a core big money piece for the long-term future, and explore moving him right now while there's top value in it. And for me, expecting a radical growth in a player (winger specifically) at what will be 24 years of age and 3 full NHL seasons under his belt, and a generally pretty flat trajectory, seems fairly dubious. Not impossible, but i wouldn't count on it.

I'd argue going from a very deficient defensive player to above average does constitute "massive strides". His defensive metrics this season were actually quite good. By my eye, particularly in the playoffs, Boeser was an effective forechecker. His skating isn't great, but he's smart about angling defenders into other Canucks and disrupting breakouts. His possession/boardwork is also vastly improved, and helps the Canucks maintain possession in-zone.

Addressing your points about paying for "special" production, I'm more one to discount the counting stats. Is there a massive difference between a 20-25 and 30 goal scorer? What if we're comparing a 30 goal scorer who's weak defensively, to a 20 goal scorer who's much better defensively? That's basically what we're doing with Brock Then vs. Brock Now. It's not a question of who scores the most goals. It's about who helps the team more. I'd argue the Brock Now does that. And even if you really care about the points, he still paced for 65 this season. Like I said in my last post, a 65 point player with decent two-way impact is very valuable and $7.5 million probably represents fair value. Whether we should allocate resources elsewhere is a different question, and depends on what you're getting in return.

Your Nylander example is kind of funny. Of the Leafs Big Four, Nylander is certainly better value than two of them (obviously Matthews exempted). At 5 on 5, he's actually a better defensive player than Tavares (who is low-key one of the league's worst centres defensively), and his transition value is near top-of-the-league. He's actually on a pretty good value contract all things considered. I think it's clear they over-invested elsewhere. If we get a Nylander-like return from Boeser, that's great.

To me, your assessment of Boeser stems from his declined goal production. I think that mispresents the situation because Boeser's overall impact is a lot better than the pure goal scorer he used to be. A projected $7.5 million contract is pretty fair value for what he brings, even barring any possible improvement. I'm not opposed to trading him for areas of weakness elsewhere, but it has to be for the right return. I haven't seen, anywhere, a realistic return that would actually improve the team. In that case, I'd rather just keep Boeser.

Last edited:

CloutierForVezina

May 13, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
A good Canuck specific example of fans getting too excited when a good young player breaks into the league and he's young so the sky's the limit, but as he settles in as a regular NHL player and things even out it quickly becomes easy to talk about moving him. Not necessarily in terms of play style but reminds me a lot of Jordan Eberle here.

...and off topic but lets hope there's no repeat here of what Edmonton did with Eberle:
trades Jordan Eberle to NYI for Ryan Strome
trades Ryan Strome to NYR for Ryan Spooner
trades Ryan Spooner to VAN for Sam Gagner
:laugh:

100% spot on, that's exactly what I was thinking of too in terms of comparable right wingers in terms of early career. Pretty similar stats after about 3 full seasons from each of them:

Eberle 68G-88A-156P in 195 GP.
Boeser 75G-86A-161P in 197 GP.

Eberle was given away for pennies because he didn't quite live up to early hype, he sucked in the playoffs, and Edmonton was stuck in a situation where they sucked and were right up the cap so they had to move him to bring in help elsewhere.

Gotta hope Boeser works out better for the Canucks than Eberle did for the Oilers.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
A good Canuck specific example of fans getting too excited when a good young player breaks into the league and he's young so the sky's the limit, but as he settles in as a regular NHL player and things even out it quickly becomes easy to talk about moving him. Not necessarily in terms of play style but reminds me a lot of Jordan Eberle here.

...and off topic but lets hope there's no repeat here of what Edmonton did with Eberle:
trades Jordan Eberle to NYI for Ryan Strome
trades Ryan Strome to NYR for Ryan Spooner
trades Ryan Spooner to VAN for Sam Gagner
:laugh:

If we ignore how Boeser has looked, then yes. I agree.

Here is a reminder of how he looked his 1st year here, before the horrific back injury:

And here are his 2019-20 goals:

See for your self. Shot velocity? Agility while skating? etc.

Reactions: Diversification

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
If we ignore how Boeser has looked, then yes. I agree.

Here is a reminder of how he looked his 1st year here, before the horrific back injury:

And here are his 2019-20 goals:

See for your self. Shot velocity? Agility while skating? etc.

'17-'18 vs. now: Shot gets off faster (confidence?), picks corners (confidence?), way more zip (mechanical), almost all wrist shots (mechanical)

I know we had a laugh about his summer photo on the boat where his left shoulder was covered by a towel. But at this point, got to think that he was covering up the fact his arm was in a sling or a cast - Especially with the angle of his elbow.

D-4VvMwU0AAalNz.jpg

Love

Feb 29, 2012
He’ll score 30. He’s also becoming a better all-around player than I anticipated.

We have a really nice player in Boeser.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

but tt took jtm’s spot, so it was still the addition/return of tt that in turn bumped bb off the pp.

I thought Boeser took massive strides in being a more well-rounded two-way player, and I was pleased with that. His defensive metrics improved across the board and he became a much more effective forechecker, battler, and board presence.

i think he’s trying really hard but he is a far ways away from being an effective player all-round. he really needs to work on some basic stuff, re puck retrieval, and he’s comically bad at sealing the boards. basically he needs to develop good habits or all the hard work in the world isn’t going to tilt the ice any.

he used to get by on physical skill (the shot) and amazing instincts, with terrible habits. now it’s almost just instincts alone and he’s still a 65 pts over 82 scorer.

whether or not the shot comes back i believe the instincts are elite enough that if he can just get the good habits down that’s an excellent player. and if he can improve his skating to adequate the way he sedins did...

Reactions: bossram

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->