What player will be massively overrated following his playoff performance?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I am just pointing out many people will view Point as the 1.16 PPG player when he is more of a 0.89 PPG player

And that's not to discount how good a season Point had this year, but it gives us a better read on how good a player he is.

Honestly, a lot of our players have started taking the regular season "off" a little bit. Point seems to have struck that balance. When the game matters, his will to both score and defend turns him into an absolute monster.

Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Honestly, a lot of our players have started taking the regular season "off" a little bit. Point seems to have struck that balance. When the game matters, his will to both score and defend turns him into an absolute monster.

Don't get me wrong Point has an incredible ability to score up close but you don't score as many goals unless you have somebody feeding you the puck and in that case Kucherov allows Point to achieve that 1.16 PPG status compared to being a 0.9 PPG status

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Don't get me wrong Point has an incredible ability to score up close but you don't score as many goals unless you have somebody feeding you the puck and in that case Kucherov allows Point to achieve that 1.16 PPG status compared to being a 0.9 PPG status

I don't think Kuch is the only reason for that difference. He's part of it, don't get me wrong, although the flip side of that coin is also true -- Point turns Kucherov into a playmaking monster.

Point doesn't only score from in close though. He scores pretty much any way you can think. And the crazy part is he has a playmaker's skillset. It's his mentality, mainly, that makes him such an effective goal-scorer. But the big thing is the timing of it. He thrives under pressure like very, very few players.

Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Saad will get a bigger contract because of these playoffs

I was going to say this. His playoff production rate is normal the same as his regular season production rate or very marginally less. This year he scored a couple of fluky goals which inflated his total and he was the one bright spot in a bad Avs performance so he’ll get tagged with the clutch performer label and get an extra million

Reactions: Il Stugotz

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
Basically everyone on the habs is playing above their pay grade save for price.

Fine with it tho.

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
Marc Bergevin.

Agreed. I mean the Habs went to OT against the Leafs and had they won, this season would be have been considered a failure and potentially Berg wouldn't have been brought back. Now, he's a hero and I'm certain he'll be extended. I guess it just shows the narrow margins between success and failure in the NHL.

Armia has also put himself in a position to cash in the free agency. I like the player, but he's a 3rd line depth guy who's big and is good on the PK. Should be interesting to see where he ends up.

Last edited:

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
I don't know why people think Habs fans will overrate their team after this run. Habs fans have gotten such a bad rep on this board it's incredible. If you look at the Habs board, everyone knows the team is not as great as what this post season is showing. We all know Weber had a rough year and is slowing down, Perry/Staal are old as F, Chiarot/Edmundson can't move the puck, Price is getting up there in age and has had average regular seasons for a while now, Toffoli will not score 44 goals every year, Gallagher can't produce offense to save his life, Armia isn't that great, Danault has absolutely no offense in him, etc.

Do people actually think we're putting this team on a pedestal? Because we're not. We know what we have in this group. They are coming together nicely right now because they have a ton of character, Price is playing unreal and the system is good. That's it. On an individual level there is only a handful of actually great players on the team, as well as some youth showing good potential for the future (i.e. Caufield)

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
Agreed. I mean the Habs went to OT against the Leafs and had they won, this season would be have been considered a failure and potentially Berg wouldn't have been brought back. Now, he's a hero and I'm certain he'll be extended. I guess it just shows the narrow margins before success and failure in the NHL.

Armia is also but himself in a position to cash in the free agency. I like the player, but he's a 3rd line depth guy who's big and is good on the PK. Should be interesting to see where he ends up.

Yep. Don't get me wrong - I think MB did well with his acquisitions this year and has built a playoff team. Good job indeed, but is he some sort of 4-D chess megastar.......?

Of course, if we win it all then I will kiss his biceps.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Martinez
Armia
Pelech
Goodrow
Pelech is currently up there with Slavin when it comes to his game defensively. He doesn’t get enough coverage because he plays for a smaller market team but to say he’s massively overrated is beyond stupid. If you want to see some who’s massively overrated in the same series just watch Sergachev play.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I feel like someone will pay Armia. Guy had 2, or 3 shorties this playoffs. Has size and whatnot. Could see a team thinking he's a great depth player and overpaying him.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Honestly? Jack Campbell. Leafs think their goaltending issues are solved by finding a cheap replacement for Andersen, but Campbell was pretty bad. Game 5, two softies, 2nd goal from Armia, the 3rd goal from KK. No way those should go in with proper goaltending. Game 6 flopping around when Perry scored. Short side goal from Toffoli that should never squeeze through. Game 7 awful five hole goal from Gallagher.

He’s not the main reason why they lost the series, but I don’t think he’s the answer for them. I think they are in for a rude awakening if they make him the starter next year.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
I don't know why people think Habs fans will overrate their team after this run. Habs fans have gotten such a bad rep on this board it's incredible. If you look at the Habs board, everyone knows the team is not as great as what this post season is showing. We all know Weber had a rough year and is slowing down, Perry/Staal are old as F, Chiarot/Edmundson can't move the puck, Price is getting up there in age and has had average regular seasons for a while now, Toffoli will not score 44 goals every year, Gallagher can't produce offense to save his life, Armia isn't that great, Danault has absolutely no offense in him, etc.

Do people actually think we're putting this team on a pedestal? Because we're not. We know what we have in this group. They are coming together nicely right now because they have a ton of character, Price is playing unreal and the system is good. That's it. On an individual level there is only a handful of actually great players on the team, as well as some youth showing good potential for the future (i.e. Caufield)
bergevin was coming back - if he wanted to. Everyone continues to ignore habs played an insane 25 games in 44 days - and accumulated a ton of injuries. They also canned their entire coaching staff which doesn't lend itself to any kind of continuity.
Also think you're selling a wee bit short how good Suzuki / *Caufield and most likely Kotkaniemi and Romanov will become

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
I just love the way he plays in general every time I see him, even in the regular season. Blows my mind how he doesn't rack up twice as many points.

Hes forusre one of the most naturally skilled guys on the team, his problem is he doesnt bring it every game.

Coaches still love him and will continue to play him because he is solid in the D zone and kills pims well.

But man, he can be something if he brought it every game lol

Reactions: alasania94

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
Those are the opposing stars that have been facing the Danault line since the start of the season.

Matthews : 7-1-4-5
Marner : 7-0-4-4
Wheeler : 4-0-0-0
Ehlers : 4-0-1-1
Dubois : 4-0-1-1
Stastny : 2-0-0-0
Scheifele : 1-0-0-0
Pacioretty : 3-0-1-1
Stone : 3-0-0-0
Marchesseault : 3-0-1-1

Combined total : 38-1-12-13

I could add Connor 4-1-2-3
Or Karlsson 3-0-2-2
And the only exception, Nylander. But Danault wasn't his main opposing line.

The best part is, some of these points arent event against Danault lol (Matthews and Marner)

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Vasilevsky could steal a series if he had to; it's just that he's never been forced to do it. Price is playing very well in these playoffs, but age has caught up with him and he's no longer the superhuman he once was, whereas Vasilevsky is at his peak. So yeah, if they switched places, I think Tampa would be worse off.

What? Have you been living in a hole during these playoffs? This is arguably the best Carey Price has ever looked in his career, and he’s had some pretty impressive stretches through 14 years.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Danault. He's a fine chap, I like the guy but never was a fan of him on the ice. They say the best players don't score cause of him but I would like to actually see it. At least with Carbo you would actually see him shadowing players. There was something tangible there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->