What player will be massively overrated following his playoff performance?

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Joel Armia comes to mind.

I don't get people saying Danault? He's been terrible.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
If not for him, that wouldn't have been a tie to begin with.
Because Habs had half the amount of shots on goal that Vegas had?

Unless you by this mean "if they had played with an empty net instead", which just is a ridiculous argument.

theimmortal1

Sep 26, 2020
I’m a bolts fan and a huge Point fan. The question is about overrated and underrated. It’s not good or bad.

For example Mcd is very overrated but he’s still great. I’d put him #2 in the NHL but he has a clear case for #1. But he’s overrated. People act like he’s Gretzky, he’s not.

Point IMO will be overrated.

His playoff performances make it out that he is generational. He’s not. Probably a HOF and a top tier 1C but not the absolute top tier.

For example Matthews vs Point. Many, given playoff performances would put Point on that tier. I’d put him right below it.

That being said it’s my perception on how people may rate him (say vs Matthews). Yet people here rate him vs Barzal. If that’s the standard then Point is underrated.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Caufield, Price...
whatthef***.gif

salty.gif

theimmortal1

Sep 26, 2020
Let’s imagine this potential scenario:

Bolts beat Habs for Cup

Point leads in goals and wins CS

Who says no:

TBL: Point, Stamkos, TJo

Toronto: Matthews, Nylander

Stamkos is a hair under PPG playoff career and he’s PPG this year (despite his “playoff choking reputation thats pretty damn good). Point as mentioned has led the playoffs in goals over the last 5 years and is PPG playoffs.

Matthews and Nylander well under PPG in the playoffs. Far under actually.

Toronto just saw the hated Habs go to the Cup Finals and they know they’ve been choking in the playoffs.

IMO both teams say no, but for different reasons. Tampa because they want 3 peat and loyalty with same core. But Toronto really really thinks about it. More than they should IMO

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
Joel Armia comes to mind.

I don't get people saying Danault? He's been terrible.

Those are the opposing stars that have been facing the Danault line since the start of the season.

Matthews : 7-1-4-5
Marner : 7-0-4-4
Wheeler : 4-0-0-0
Ehlers : 4-0-1-1
Dubois : 4-0-1-1
Stastny : 2-0-0-0
Scheifele : 1-0-0-0
Pacioretty : 3-0-1-1
Stone : 3-0-0-0
Marchesseault : 3-0-1-1

Combined total : 38-1-12-13

I could add Connor 4-1-2-3
Or Karlsson 3-0-2-2
And the only exception, Nylander. But Danault wasn't his main opposing line.

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014

Bolts beat Habs for Cup

Who says no:

Stamkos is a hair under PPG playoff career and he’s PPG this year (despite his “playoff choking reputation thats pretty damn good). Point as mentioned has led the playoffs in goals over the last 5 years and is PPG playoffs.

Toronto just saw the hated Habs go to the Cup Finals and they know they’ve been choking in the playoffs.

IMO both teams say no, but for different reasons. Tampa because they want 3 peat and loyalty with same core. But Toronto really really thinks about it. More than they should IMO
Interesting framing. Stamkos is just "a hair" under PPG with .8, while Matthews at .75 and Marner at .78 are "well under". No that's not even a enough of a descriptor. They are "far under actually." The difference between a "hair under" and "far under" is .02 PPG, apparently.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
I agree with the people mentioning Point. Kuch's impact is incredibly obvious. With him gone Point was a good scorer, not great. Seems like he is a slightly below ppg player on his own, which I wouldn't call a top tier elite 1c. I'd put him in the same tier as Barzal.

Reactions: Matsun

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
So which one is it? Points either a stud or he’s being carried by another player. Maybe Point allows Kuch to play to his full potential as well.

Probably the best way to look at it is look at his stats without Kucherov. 48 Points in 54 games. While still great, it's nowhere close to his pace of 92 points a couple years ago

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008

Bolts beat Habs for Cup

Who says no:

I'd rather have the players that know how to win.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Who would of guessed that two top end players playing with each other benefits both? I learn something new everyday.

I am just pointing out many people will view Point as the 1.16 PPG player when he is more of a 0.89 PPG player

And that's not to discount how good a season Point had this year, but it gives us a better read on how good a player he is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad