What % of CHL players could make NCAA teams?

Status
Not open for further replies.

derbyfan

Nov 23, 2002
Visit site
Stay with me here. :)
If CHL players were eligible to play NCAA, how many off each team (on average) would be good enough to play (or get recruited) for NCAA schools?
For example, I look at the USHL and see that 132 players from the league so far have committed to Division One schools. That's an average of 12 per team,
pretty damn good.
Let's pretend CHL players could go on to NCAA instead of just CIS.
Considering CHL players could play until 20 to get recruited, how many off each team would be taken?

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
not considering academics as a consideration, i would guess it would be anywhere from 75-90%

Personally i don't know why more canadian kids go for the free education myself. If your good enough you'll make it no matter where you play, but if you aren't you at least get something out of it that can help you in your career.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
boredmale said:
not considering academics as a consideration, i would guess it would be anywhere from 75-90%

Personally i don't know why more canadian kids go for the free education myself. If your good enough you'll make it no matter where you play, but if you aren't you at least get something out of it that can help you in your career.

Don't they get paid in juniors?

allin4466

Apr 8, 2005
CHL is the best league to play in for Junior aged players. They also get a free year of education at any Canadian University for each year the play in the CHL, so its not like they arent getting anything out of it if they dont move on.

I'd guess that 90% of CHL'ers could crack NCAA teams

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
If we're talking high end leagues(WCHA for instance) it would be a lower amount, but to bring in the lesser schools(Robert Morris, whoooo!!!) then it shoots up.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
allin4466 said:
CHL is the best league to play in for Junior aged players. They also get a free year of education at any Canadian University for each year the play in the CHL, so its not like they arent getting anything out of it if they dont move on.

I'd guess that 90% of CHL'ers could crack NCAA teams

That being said 3 free years or 4 free years, which would you rather have? Yankee Universities are also better known for making there athletes feel "welcome".

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
95%, the CHL schedule is much more demanding, and I think they would be able to make the jump rather easily.

What I would love to see is the NCAA champs play the Mem Cup champs! That'd be saaaweeeeet!

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
D1? 65-75%

If you think 16 year olds would be able to make it with 22-23 year olds in the NCAA your kidding.

Eldrick

Apr 23, 2004
I think it would go both ways. There would be quite a few players from the NCAA who would not make the the CHL and vice-versa. The bottom guys from each league would not make it in the other, while I think the top talents certainly would be top talents in either league.

RayLeeCharles

Aug 31, 2005
WaSt
Id guess about 80% of CHL players would make an NCAA team. Really the only players I couldnt see making a team would be guys who are the 4th liners but I think even they could play a role guys more like Stoesz, and Tidball are ones I wouldnt see cutting it.

Another good question would be what % of NCAA players under 20 would be able to make a CHL team. To me it seems the quality of players to make a CHL squad would end up being a 3rd or 4th line talent. Exceptions of course with top players like Kessel, Toews, and Johnson to name a few.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Hedberg said:
Except for the goons, all of them.

I agree. A fair amount on Jr A players get NCAA scholarships and many do well. Junior Lessard and JP Vigier come to mind. As far as I know they did not go the Jr A route to save their eligability, they just were not good enough to play in the CHL. Vigier for sure.

The step from Jr A to the CHL is huge, so if Jr A players can succeed quite often in the NCAA, any CHL player that is not a goon would probably make it.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
I would say almost all of them........in the area of 95%..........NCAA divison 1 recruits players from Junior A teams all over Canada which is a step way below the CHL.

This is a flawed question though..........there are how many teams in the NCAA......most teams are way easier to make then say Michigan or Minnesota..........that said if "above average" junior a players in canada.....who werent good enough for the CHL can find a team to play on I will stick with the area of 95%.

Goons not included.......also players who may not make it are 16yo's on bad CHL teams who are up only for experience.

Default101

i'd say about 88-96% seen both Junior hockey i think is much faster and at a higher level.. i think only about 24-35% of College players would be good enough to actually play in the CHL

Default101

phaneuf_fan_3 said:
I would say almost all of them........in the area of 95%..........NCAA divison 1 recruits players from Junior A teams all over Canada which is a step way below the CHL.

This is a flawed question though..........there are how many teams in the NCAA......most teams are way easier to make then say Michigan or Minnesota..........that said if "above average" junior a players in canada.....who werent good enough for the CHL can find a team to play on I will stick with the area of 95%.

Goons not included.......also players who may not make it are 16yo's on bad CHL teams who are up only for experience.
Mark Katic of Sarnia and John Tavares of Oshawa; top 2 picks in last year's OHL draft are both 16 at the moment, 2 years too young to play in the NCAA by 2 years... and both could skate circles around 98% of NCAA talent already... that should be a good estimation of where most of the talent lies, there's the odd really good college player, but if you average all the teams out theres 1-2 solid prospets stars for every 3 teams CHL teams there are only about 60 but each team has about 3-7 solid potential NHL prospects.

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
Ry-Dogg said:
Mark Katic of Sarnia and John Tavares of Oshawa; top 2 picks in last year's OHL draft are both 16 at the moment, 2 years too young to play in the NCAA by 2 years... and both could skate circles around 98% of NCAA talent already...

Tavares is a unique talent, as is Katic, from what I hear... but I think you seriously underestimate the talent level of the elite NCAA schools.

I have no doubt that Tavres and Katic could indeed "skate circles around 98%" of the players in the MIAC or NCHA... but I think they'd have a tougher go of it trying to show up 98% of the players at Michigan, or Maine, or North Dakota, or Denver, or Boston College, or Wisconsin, or BU, etc., etc.

P_B

:bow: :blues

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
derbyfan said:
Stay with me here. :)
So much for that hope. :)
Considering CHL players could play until 20 to get recruited, how many off each team would be taken?
I'll join the 90ish% crowd. Almost any graduating 20-year old CHL non-pure-goon could play for a Division I team if they were allowed to. Some exceptions for filler players on some weak teams, particularly have to say in the Q, would exist. But 90-95% should make it.

(NB: The 90-95% estimate excludes the realistic argument that if you suddenly took an influx of 60 CHL teams worth of graduating players into NCAA Div I schools, there would actually be a sudden rise in the talent level of the NCAA that would in turn drop the percentage over time).

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
Tjardus Greidanus said:
If we're talking high end leagues(WCHA for instance) it would be a lower amount, but to bring in the lesser schools(Robert Morris, whoooo!!!) then it shoots up.

Best answer on this thread. On the elite NCAA teams, the vast majority of CHL players would have a tough time cracking the lineup. But most CHL players could make the lineup of average to below average NCAA teams.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Ry-Dogg said:
Mark Katic of Sarnia and John Tavares of Oshawa; top 2 picks in last year's OHL draft are both 16 at the moment, 2 years too young to play in the NCAA by 2 years... and both could skate circles around 98% of NCAA talent already... that should be a good estimation of where most of the talent lies, there's the odd really good college player, but if you average all the teams out theres 1-2 solid prospets stars for every 3 teams CHL teams there are only about 60 but each team has about 3-7 solid potential NHL prospects.

Wasn't Towes a first overall pick too. And he is not skating circles around anyone. And 1-2 solid picks. Most top teams solid teams have more than 5 first and second rounders.

NoDak: Oshie, Zajac, Finley, Stafford, Lee firsts. Towes in waiting
Minnesota: Chucko, Wheeler: Kessel, Okposo, E. Johnson in waiting.
Michagen. J. Johnson and Cogliano.

Thats is just of the cuff. And only firsts add in seconds and the list blows up.

derbyfan

Nov 23, 2002
Visit site
Thanks for staying on topic, appreciate the good discussion. :handclap:

phaneuf_fan_3 said:

Agreed that it's a bit of a soft question when you consider the Ala-Huntsville's & Niagara's of the NCAA.
I suppose I should tweak the question a bit and say for Major Conferences (WCHA, HE, CCHA, ECACHL).
I know, their are tons more CHL teams than teams in these conferences. But my question remains for what % would be good enough...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad