What NHL player name did you always say wrong and were corrected by someone???

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
McIlrath. I thought it was "Mc-Il-Wraith".

Then I heard his name said properly last year. My version was better.

Fear

Nov 17, 2014
I still can't pronounce Chiasson, is it Shay-zawn or Key-a-son or something in between

emeyezee

Jul 1, 2015
"Teravainen Teuvo (tehr-a-VIGH-nuhn, TEW-voh)"
Hmm... I swear I've heard Teuvo himself pronounce his first name as "Tay-voh"

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
What? It's actually a French name, meaning of the strait (hint: the Detroit river is actually a strait). It's pronounced "de-twah".

Uh, no its not. Just like St. Louis is pronounced Saint Loo-iz. And New Orleans is pronounced New Orlins.

You don't go around saying America as though you are imitating a German accent, do you? Because I'm pretty sure when a German named this country "America," he didn't pronounce it like an English-speaking American.

And for the record, De-troy-it doesn't even make sense. There is one "i." And it creates the "oyt" sound. There is no other letter there to create the "it" sound.

Windy River

Jan 31, 2013
Never understood Toews, didn't know who people were talking about for about a month. A football one I never understood is Favre. How is it pronounced f-a-r-v when the v is before the r??

I recall seeing something about Favre, and how it actually IS pronounced how it is spelled. But people messed it up, now it's stuck, and the Favre's are cool with it.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
I used to say Sidney Crosby like Sid-nay Cros-bye until 2010 because that's how some online YouTube video told me it was pronounced. I corrected it after the Vancouver Olympics

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The first and so far only time I've ever had a problem with a name was Shayne Gosthisbehere. I just kept seeing "ghost his be here". It's actually three syllables, emphasis on the middle, and there's no "h" in the first one. :whaaa?:

And can we kvetch about annoying pronunciations we've heard elsewhere? For example, the LA broadcasters keep pronouncing Tyutin "tee-YOUT-in", which is painful to hear.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I still can't pronounce Chiasson, is it Shay-zawn or Key-a-son or something in between

So, here's the story.

In Dallas, he was called "Shay-zawn" because he felt that Americans would have more issues pronouncing it correctly. (2 syllables)

When he returned to Ottawa, he quietly informed the announcers that he'd prefer the French pronounciation, which is "She-ay-ssson". (3 syllables)

chupanibre

The GhostBear Cometh
Feb 10, 2014
Bologna, ITA
According to the announcers I pronounce all the Italian names wrong :laugh:

But seriously I pronounce Neuvirth wrong everyime, I always say New-virth.
I also always used to pronounce McDonagh Mc-doh-nag :shakehead

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
ive been calling him Joo-nis Donskoi.... but I heard announcers calling him Yo-nis Donskoi..... whats with the extra "o"?..... Cmon Donskoi parents and keep it simple

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I like how it's not Wiercioch your friend gets wrong, it's Patrick.

I used to add an "L" to Malhotra for the longest time, like Malholtra

Wow, I've been doing this too and only noticed when I ready your post hahaha.

Mark Pysyk. I thought it was pronounced like "psych" but instead it's the noise you make when you try to scare a cat or when you have a secret for someone

I also used to say Nyquist with a "v" in the middle instead of a "U" like Lundqvist.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Rh3aoKe.png
Oh god. That's just horrible. And they think they're saying it right too. I remember one time them talking about it, and saying that's the correct pronunciation.
What makes it so awful is that they're supposed to be professionals, and they can't figure out after several years that they are absolutely butchering this guy's name in such a way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->