What needs to be done in this off season

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Don't really care what Fletcher does this summer as long as he doesn't mortgage the future.
If Hart can regain his mojo and be "average," this is a 95-100 point team, above average, 100+.
So don't panic, don't trade guys like Zamula or Frost, don't give up on Patrick and sell low.

The Flyers' "cycle" of the last few seasons has been driven by bad goalie play:
2016-17: 26th in all strength S%, PDO .983
2018-19: 29th in all strength S%, PDO .988
2020-21: 31th in all strength S%, PDO .974
See a trend in the off years?

2015-16: 7th in all strength S%, PDO 1.00
2017-18: 22nd in all strength S%, PDO .998
2019-20: 16th in all strength S%, PDO 1.008

Notice the "good" years, other than 2015, the Flyers weren't being carried by their goaltenders.
So the last two good years are actually closer to their norm than the bad years. 98 points and 106 points (pro-rated).
For all the gnashing of teeth, when you account for bad goalie play, this team has steadily improved the last five seasons.

Goalies (GAA - xGA/60):
2015-16: Mason 54g +0.01, Neuvirth 32g -0.25
2016-17: Mason 58g +0.35, Neuvirth 28g +0.72, Stolarz 7g -0.28
2017-18: Elliott 43g +0.16, Neuvirth 21g +0.15, Mrazek 17g +0.84, Lyon 11g +0.15
2018-19: Hart 31g +0.30, Elliott 26g +0.28, Stolarz 12g +0.66, Pickard 11g +1.64, Neuvirth 7g +1.84
2019-20: Hart 43g +0.06, Elliott 31g +0.45
2020-21: Hart 27g +1.45, Elliott 25g +0.61

This is goals above expected, so it generally incorporates any defensive flaws.
The only goalie during this stretch to play above average was Neuvirth in 2015-16, Mason that year, and Hart last season put in average performances.

Kinda funny that a GM who was an goaltender couldn't find goaltenders.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I dont know, it seems pretty fitting. The more i see it, the more i feel people are realizing he isnt some defensive god that he was made out to be.
The worst part is a really like Provorov and I think he could perform much better than he is, but his usage and peoples expectations are both absolutely insane. That's what needs to be adjusted... not a manhunt to find him the perfect partner.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Provorov needs the "perfect partner" because we need a top pair that can "shut down" top lines.
Sanheim will never be a top defensive defenseman (and needs to generate more offense).
Ghost can be pressured into turnovers by a physical forecheck and isn't going to do much crease clearing.
Myers right now is still figuring it out. Simply can't be trusted.
Hagg isn't anyone's choice for Provorov's partner.

We saw last year with Niskanen, and this year before Braun's legs died, the value of pairing Provorov with a veteran RHD.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
The worst part is a really like Provorov and I think he could perform much better than he is, but his usage and peoples expectations are both absolutely insane. That's what needs to be adjusted... not a manhunt to find him the perfect partner.

Yup. The dudes a good defenseman, no doubt about it, but he's held up as some sort of messiah by some and i just dont understand it. I'm glad that he wants to be a workhorse and play all the time. That doesnt mean he deserves it. That dude should be nowhere near a PP.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Not sure Sanheim should be on the PP either, he's much better in motion than standing still, trying to make pinpoint passes from the blue line.
I'm looking for York on the PP, maybe Zamula down the road.

04hockey

Sep 28, 2017
Yup. The dudes a good defenseman, no doubt about it, but he's held up as some sort of messiah by some and i just dont understand it. I'm glad that he wants to be a workhorse and play all the time. That doesnt mean he deserves it. That dude should be nowhere near a PP.

put him on waivers and see how many teams claim him :eek: :laugh:

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
put him on waivers and see how many teams claim him :eek: :laugh:

And how many teams would hug him, amirite? WAIVERS! LMAO!

tenor.gif

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Why would you think York would have more upside on the PP than Sanheim?

York is a more controlled player, the PP QB doesn't have to be flashy, he needs good vision, point point passing and the ability to get the puck through to the net. He doesn't need to be a great skater or high velocity shooter. Because he's ideally not going to be moving his skates that much, rather, he'll know where to move the puck.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
York is a more controlled player, the PP QB doesn't have to be flashy, he needs good vision, point point passing and the ability to get the puck through to the net. He doesn't need to be a great skater or high velocity shooter. Because he's ideally not going to be moving his skates that much, rather, he'll know where to move the puck.

I disagree... a defenseman on the PP should have some abilities that draw in defenders and create space. You’re highlighting skills that PKers can nullify from distance. Shiftiness, or “flashiness”, is kinda important

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I disagree... a defenseman on the PP should have some abilities that draw in defenders and create space. You’re highlighting skills that PKers can nullify from distance. Shiftiness, or “flashiness”, is kinda important
This should be obvious for anyone who has watched Ghost and Provorov on the PP over the past 5 years.

The skills that matter should be glaringly obvious.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
At least Provy doesn’t make a ton. A lot more feasible to tag him as a 1b. I still think it would be a good idea to trade him.
I don't even want to imagine our defense without Provorov. Even if you can trade him for Eichel, you still better have a replacement because otherwise our defense would be bottom 10 in the league.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
His value is high and he would likely be coveted by Buffalo.

I don't even want to imagine our defense without Provorov. Even if you can trade him for Eichel, you still better have a replacement because otherwise our defense would be bottom 10 in the league.

It’s a scary thought but we are going to see how Zamula does and eventually York. If we can trade for Eichel and sign Hamilton and remove Voracek/JVR salary plus whatever else goes to Buffalo then maybe you are ok. Sanhiem Hamilton would be a fun top pair. York Myers could be good. Who knows, but I think if you unload to get Eichel if you can.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->