What needs to be done in this off season

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Might as well start this since this season is over. The first of many moves that I would like to see happen is for Couturier to get a six year at $9M deal signed. It make it obvious that it’s his club. Next I’d sit down with Giroux and offer him an extension fitting one of his age and recent performance. Two years at around $4M per. The club can’t afford to have a player with declining performance being overpaid on a +35 deal. If G doesn’t like that, explore moving him to another place.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I think we usually do an official offseason thread once the season officially ends.

Not that im against this thread or anything.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Fire the entire coaching staff, or at the very least, everyone beneath AV. Take his boys club away and appoint real coaches there and tell AV to figure it out.

If your best offer to Couturier is 6 years, you're losing him. Hes easily getting 7x9 on the open market. This is the give and take with long bridges. You had a great seal on him for 5 years, and we wasted it. That's not on him. You give him the 8*X and you figure out the last two years where performance <> cap hit. Fortunately, none of our long term deals have hit that point yet, so maybe we'll get lucky with him like we did with G and V.

Bridge Hart for 2 or 3 years at 3 or less. Sign a decent 1B with the balance of the cap. In those 2 or 3 years, make damn sure Errason or Fedotov are getting plenty of AHL time to take over backup when we need to pay Hart again.

Make a hard push for Dougie. Get Provorov that elite partner he so desperately needs. If you can't get him, Provorov-Ghost it is. We won't find a better player thats affordable to put in that spot.

Consider upgrading on Braun for the 3rd pair/Myers backup spot. I'm sure Myers is jist a blip on the radar this year, but if he doesn't take that astep, we need the insurance.

Get rid of Hagg, he's he's detriment on the ice and on the cap. Fill the 3rd pair with York/Braun, or whoever we get to take Brauns spot.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Fire the entire coaching staff, or at the very least, everyone beneath AV. Take his boys club away and appoint real coaches there and tell AV to figure it out.

If your best offer to Couturier is 6 years, you're losing him. Hes easily getting 7x9 on the open market. This is the give and take with long bridges. You had a great seal on him for 5 years, and we wasted it. That's not on him. You give him the 8*X and you figure out the last two years where performance <> cap hit. Fortunately, none of our long term deals have hit that point yet, so maybe we'll get lucky with him like we did with G and V.

Bridge Hart for 2 or 3 years at 3 or less. Sign a decent 1B with the balance of the cap. In those 2 or 3 years, make damn sure Errason or Fedotov are getting plenty of AHL time to take over backup when we need to pay Hart again.

Make a hard push for Dougie. Get Provorov that elite partner he so desperately needs. If you can't get him, Provorov-Ghost it is. We won't find a better player thats affordable to put in that spot.

Consider upgrading on Braun for the 3rd pair/Myers backup spot. I'm sure Myers is jist a blip on the radar this year, but if he doesn't take that astep, we need the insurance.

Get rid of Hagg, he's he's detriment on the ice and on the cap. Fill the 3rd pair with York/Braun, or whoever we get to take Brauns spot.

Trade Provorov.

Maybe Benning would trade that bust Elias Pettersson for Provorov :naughty:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
tenor.gif

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think regression to the mean suggests that a lot of players will rebound next year.
And health/fatigue suggest that a summer will revitalize some players, while improved depth with the kids will allow minutes for players like Giroux to be rationed.
So burning it down, while emotionally satisfying, is probably not the optimal strategy.

But neither is doing nothing, Provorov - Ghost doesn't work as a shut down pair, G - Couts - Voracek are aging out of 1st line status, and Elliott is effective only with a limited work load. So these issues need to be addressed.

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
Ypu missed the part where I pointed out our two biggest issues:

Coaching and systems
Competent goaltending.

Witty doest work for you, deady.

You ready to tell me who the best defensive defenseman is this season?

so you are saying you want the same players next year and have coaches fired for 5th time because you hate every coach that cant turn this group into superstars?

Reactions: marcsson68 and JXC

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Big moves involving the high earners on the team will probably look pretty ugly given the requirement for cap zero differential transactions. I guess Provorov might be the only player who could be moved to clear cap... Maybe Hayes could be shipped to Seattle if the east coast boy is amenable to leaving his roots? I don’t think Seattle will be taking more than 1-2 players earning $7MM+ in the ED without incentive, so the prayers for van Riemsdyk getting selected seem wasted.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Ypu missed the part where I pointed out our two biggest issues:

Coaching and systems
Competent goaltending.

Witty doest work for you, deady.

You ready to tell me who the best defensive defenseman is this season?

Hagg.
He's raised the game of both Ghost and Sanheim when he partners with them. :thumbu:

Ghost has the second best numbers but watching him, there is no freakin' way I want him on the first pair matched up against opponents' top scoring lines. He not only struggles physically, he has a propensity for turnovers. Guy who is best used in a sheltered role with O-zone starts. Third pair with York or Morin or Hagg if Seattle doesn't take him. Gudas has great metrics in a sheltered role, but no one sees him as a top four D-man.

I don't think I'd make judgements off players based on this season, I think a lot of players had COVID and were impacted by it, the system is not causing players to be off on their timing on easy passes or missing the net entirely on open shots. Did Provorov suddenly lose his skill set?

Goaltending is the top priority, and basically acquiring a 1b to take pressure off Hart.
RHD is the second priority, a partner for Provorov.
Third is shuffling forwards to find better combinations, and that may mean trades for fit, rather than value.

As far as system/AV, he'll get next season with a healthy team and a full training camp to see if he can recapture spring 2020.
That will be the true test, with COVID behind him, more young talent added, and a couple key offseason moves, he'll have no excuses for failure.

Reactions: JXC

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Trying to keep it realistic...

-for coaching staff, at the very least, Therrien needs to be let go
-bridge Hart and get him a competent back-up
-re-sign Couturier, Sanheim, Patrick (this is is final chance to show he's got anything)
-find a partner for Provorov
-Hagg needs to be shipped out. He isn't needed in any way; Braun as well, but you could use him as a 7th. Would depend on what happens in the ED (Seattle taking Gostisbehere)

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
First, hire a real team president with absolutely no ties to Clarke who knows what they're doing. Have them replace Fletcher and start purging the failed self-perpetuating country club.

Starting any lower is just gonna bring more of the same forever and ever.

Thats sort of step one for any plan. For those that want to try and push them to contention or not.

Yzerman and Shanahan are of course easy examples but they really do need a visionary of sorts. This has Minnesota Wild Fletcher vibes, or Calgary Flames east - all over it, of being stuck in neutral.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
The funny thing with AV is you can see the firing coming.

They will lose out on some quality candidates now in Gallant or Julien and be forced to settle for what’s left - or dick around with Yeo who hasn’t accomplished a damn thing.

Similar thing happened with holding Hak too long I believe.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
The funny thing with AV is you can see the firing coming.

They will lose out on some quality candidates now in Gallant or Julien and be forced to settle for what’s left - or dick around with Yeo who hasn’t accomplished a damn thing.

Similar thing happened with holding Hak too long I believe.

Oh it's going to happen. He'll get fired 10 games into the season and management will replace him with one of the assistant coaches or Gordon again

04hockey

Sep 28, 2017
release Ghost, all razzmatazz and no substance

he couldn't stop a high school player defensively :naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad