What nations have the best goalies?

Elias40

Jan 3, 2020
I want to see Wallstedt as the leaader of his team in the NHL..but it will depend on which team chooses him in the draft. Maybe Alnefelt will also have a nice career in the NHL, but I don't think Vasilevski will let him into the goal, so if an exchange came somewhere else, it would help him a lot...

Hasa92

Aug 4, 2012
Finland
1st Russia

Too hard to choose 2nd-4th between Canada, USA & Finland.

5th Sweden
6th Germany
7th Czech Rebublic
8th Slovakia
9th Switzerland
10th Latvia

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Where is the love for korpisalo and koskinen?
Korpisalo is okay but the frequent soft goals are frustrating, to put it politely.

Koskinen was overrated when he crossed the pond. He had good numbers in SKA but that was behind a ridiculously good F core that drove possession like mad and a very good D core too. It didn't help that Chiarelli paid him too much right off the bat, then extended way before it was necessary. I guess he's a tolerable backup and maybe even a workable 1B, if you don't look at the salary now.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Korpisalo is okay but the frequent soft goals are frustrating, to put it politely.

Koskinen was overrated when he crossed the pond. He had good numbers in SKA but that was behind a ridiculously good F core that drove possession like mad and a very good D core too. It didn't help that Chiarelli paid him too much right off the bat, then extended way before it was necessary. I guess he's a tolerable backup and maybe even a workable 1B, if you don't look at the salary now.
I'm also an oiler fan... I am well aware of that salary haha.

Reactions: Stubu

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
1st Russia

Too hard to choose 2nd-4th between Canada, USA & Finland.

5th Sweden
6th Germany
7th Czech Rebublic
8th Slovakia
9th Switzerland
10th Latvia

I would take Elvis (Latvia) and Andersen (Denmark) over any Swiss and maybe over Slovakia also.

Finland is still a goalie hotbed, even if some guys are declining. I would still put them over Canada. USA goalies had a better season then Fins, but I'm still leaning towards Finland's group.

Reactions: Stubu

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
I would take Elvis (Latvia) and Andersen (Denmark) over any Swiss and maybe over Slovakia also.

Finland is still a goalie hotbed, even if some guys are declining. I would still put them over Canada. USA goalies had a better season then Fins, but I'm still leaning towards Finland's group.
I’m taking Halak over Andersen, but Latvia has advantage over Slovakia for sure

Hasa92

Aug 4, 2012
Finland

Our goaltending was declining a few years ago but it's getting better again.

I was thinking about Denmark but Andersen is the only goalie I know from them and I made this list having both best goalies and depth in mind.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Over the 5 or 7 years or so, Latvia has always had some promising goalie prospect in the pipeline.

And having a 1st NHL goalie in Merzlikins, a couple of potential NHL goalies in Kivlenieks and Silovs, as well as a top tier goalie in KHL in Kalnins, I would argue we're definitely not 10th in the world.

With Greiss being done, I'd rank us higher than Germany

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Over the 5 or 7 years or so, Latvia has always had some promising goalie prospect in the pipeline.

And having a 1st NHL goalie in Merzlikins, a couple of potential NHL goalies in Kivlenieks and Silovs, as well as a top tier goalie in KHL in Kalnins, I would argue we're definitely not 10th in the world.

With Greiss being done, I'd rank us higher than Germany
Latvia has had so many promising goalies after Irbe, but finally they seem to remain on the track for longer in their careers.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.

To tell the truth, I don't understand why that is. We do get good defenders. We don't need to be the hotbed.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
neat observation.

The final 4 has 2 Canadians battling each other and 2 Russians battling each other.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
1.png
Jacob Markström
Calgary Flames211.94.933
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

So far this season he is better than any Russian and Finnish keeper.

Ullmark looks good for Boston.

Lars Johansson (KHL) would be a top goalie in NHL.

Wallstedt is already one of the better in SHL.

Things look good for Sweden.

Lehner is not Swedish anymore, he never wants to play for our NT. Good luck with to him with the USA NT.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
I would have USA first followed by Russia. USA has Gibson, helle, campbell, demko along with Oettinger, knight and a bounce back quick.
Russian has vasi, shesty, and then there’s a drop to sorokin and varlamov

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Based on this season onnly there are:
20 Canadian goalies with save% over 90
14 Americans
7 Russians
6 Finns
4 Swedes
3 Czechs
1 Slovakian
1 Dane
1 Latvian
Czechs could be at 6 soon... Rittich, Mrazek and Francouz are all very slowly returning from injuries.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I'd say they're getting about as much love as their recent performances justify. Well, Korpisalo's numbers are at least in part the fault of the entire team in front of him having a complete miss of a season, and he still has many good years ahead of him and all the tools he needs to be a solid starter in the league.

Koskinen was just brutal this season, and unlike Korpisalo, it was almost all his own fault. Also, he's 33 years old, so not a spring chicken anymore. Well, it's still somewhat possible he may regain his past form and play at a good level for two to three more years, but it's more likely that the league is simply done with him.
Since the thread was bumped, I'll take this opportunity to call myself out and say that this post didn't exactly age well. It has been a nice bounce back from Koskinen, and while Korpisalo has still been underwhelming, it's more difficult to shovel a part of the blame on the team, as Elvis has been doing okay.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Since the thread was bumped, I'll take this opportunity to call myself out and say that this post didn't exactly age well. It has been a nice bounce back from Koskinen, and while Korpisalo has still been underwhelming, it's more difficult to shovel a part of the blame on the team, as Elvis has been doing okay.
I'm also an Oilers fan... if Mikko was spotted in public at a grocery store, he might get punched. It's not all his fault but he is having a bad season despite what looks like a good record. I want to like him, I do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->