What nationality is the name "Yzerman"

RedWinger10

Feb 11, 2013
I know he's Canadian, but as far as the heritage of his last name I couldn't tell you. Why do you want to know?

Peter Tosh

Dec 19, 2007
Yeah, it's dutch. Ij = Y, so the spelling some generations back was probably Ijzerman(n). One street, by the way, in central Amsterdam is called Nieuwendijk which I find amusing.

Hammerheart

Now how about a hug?
Aug 1, 2011
I always wondered too. It's a little quirk I have for wanting to know where every surname I come across originates, and this one always bugged me.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
I've seen similar last names in South Africa so it's probably Dutch. Otherwise I would have guessed he was Swiss or perhaps Austrian.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Interesting topic, I always thought of him as probably of eastern european descent

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Yeah, it's dutch. Ij = Y, so the spelling some generations back was probably Ijzerman(n). One street, by the way, in central Amsterdam is called Nieuwendijk which I find amusing.

Correct.

But there is also the Yzer river in Belgium. Could be belgian descent.

There's a town/municipality in the southeast of Norway with my last name on it, but as far as I know I'm not Norwegian in the least... however, it would appear that at least my last name is. Heh.

Nameyology (see if you can get that reference) can be quite tricky, can't it?

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
There's a town/municipality in the southeast of Norway with my last name on it, but as far as I know I'm not Norwegian in the least... however, it would appear that at least my last name is. Heh.

Nameyology (see if you can get that reference) can be quite tricky, can't it?

I will say that you're good guy to have on the team, RM- every board needs an expert in nameyology ;)

Last edited:

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids

Good luck getting the gf to sign on for becoming the next Mrs. Skudeneshavn... and yes, I would kick ass in the Norwegian geography category on Jeopardy (assuming I could use google maps).

My man... we are on the same page.

However, you forgot to snap. I fixed it for you. ;)

Can't believe I forgot the snap. This is a good reminder for the wife and myself to watch The Saints again to celebrate St Patty's day this year. I think the Wings lineup may need to add some "Il Duce"-type grit to handle Boston next year if realignment goes through. :nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->