What nation will join the Elite 7 of Hockey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jazz

We currently have 7 elite nations in hockey, namely:
  1. Canada
  2. Sweden
  3. Czech Republic
  4. Slovakia
  5. Russia
  6. USA
  7. Finland
(listed according to the 2005 rankings).

So the question is: which of the countries in the poll above will be the next to join the Elite group (ie consistenly contend for a medal) and why do you pick this nation? How far in the future will this be?

Post your answer plus any reasons below.

Optionally (and not the poll question): Which of the countries listed has the best opportunity to pull off an upset medal (like Belarus almost did in '02)

Note: The countries are listed according to the current IIHF World Rankings.

Last edited:

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
I voted Denmark (50% "homer" vote), although I honestly do not see another "elite" hockey nation emerging in the near future.

While countries like Germany and Switzerland are still ahead in terms of overall strength, I like what is going on in Denmark. Interesting prospects are popping up, several of which I have seen play here in Sweden and I think they will in 5-10 years have a national team that once in a while could upset and perhaps reach the semifinal. Who knows what will happen in 10-20 years, but if the danes keep improving like they have for the last years there might be another hot rivalry in Scandinavia.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Switzerland, they have good junior programs and steadily developing talent.

calgarylen13

Mar 15, 2002
Roskilde
Visit site
Predatore said:
I voted Denmark (50% "homer" vote), although I honestly do not see another "elite" hockey nation emerging in the near future.

While countries like Germany and Switzerland are still ahead in terms of overall strength, I like what is going on in Denmark. Interesting prospects are popping up, several of which I have seen play here in Sweden and I think they will in 5-10 years have a national team that once in a while could upset and perhaps reach the semifinal. Who knows what will happen in 10-20 years, but if the danes keep improving like they have for the last years there might be another hot rivalry in Scandinavia.

Another homer vote here, Denmark...i've been here one month and they hockey is clearly on the way up. If only we could get rid of those old North Americans who are clogging up the league and not letting the juniors perform, we really would be a solid contender in 5 years...the youth is there, the development isn't the best, and the opportunities aren't high but that may change if a few things go the right way, and Peter Hirsch retires (finally)

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
Shane said:
Germany is already a step ahead of the rest and should only get better.

Although Germany is far from contending for an Olympic medal, they are easy choice for the #8 spot.

They have some NHL players, some quite quality actually.

Olaf Kolzig - Bona fide #1 goalie (Vezina winner)
Jochen Hecht - Two-way second-line center
Marcel Goc - Second / Third line two-way center
Christian Erhoff - Top three defenseman
Marco Sturm - Two way top six winger
Dennis Seidenberg - Top four defensemn
Sven Butenschon - Some NHL experience
Christopher Schubert - Currently undergoing some winning with Ottawa

That is decent. Guys like Hecht and Sturm have yet to hit their prime and guys like Goc, Erhoff, Seidenberg and Schubert are all young and have tremondous potential.

And if a guy like Dany Heatley, who has dual citizenship (born in Germany), suddenly has a change of heart and starts playing for Germany as their star winger, they will be favorites for #8.

Shane

Nov 6, 2003
United Kingdom
Visit site
Jovanovski = Norris said:
Although Germany is far from contending for an Olympic medal, they are easy choice for the #8 spot.

They have some NHL players, some quite quality actually.

Olaf Kolzig - Bona fide #1 goalie (Vezina winner)
Jochen Hecht - Two-way second-line center
Marcel Goc - Second / Third line two-way center
Christian Erhoff - Top three defenseman
Marco Sturm - Two way top six winger
Dennis Seidenberg - Top four defensemn
Sven Butenschon - Some NHL experience
Christopher Schubert - Currently undergoing some winning with Ottawa

That is decent. Guys like Hecht and Sturm have yet to hit their prime and guys like Goc, Erhoff, Seidenberg and Schubert are all young and have tremondous potential.

And if a guy like Dany Heatley, who has dual citizenship (born in Germany), suddenly has a change of heart and starts playing for Germany as their star winger, they will be favorites for #8.

I think we're actually discussing the teams in terms of a U20 capacity.

Safir*

Jovanovski = Norris said:

He grew up and learned to play hockey in Canada. I don't know why Dany would play for Germany. Should Kolzig play for South Africa just because his mom was there when he was born?

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
Kärppä32 said:
He grew up and learned to play hockey in Canada. I don't know why Dany would play for Germany. Should Kolzig play for South Africa just because his mom was there when he was born?

Canada has experienced the likes of Adam Deadmarsh and Brett Hull. Although extremely unlikely, this is in the realm of possibility.

Shane

Nov 6, 2003
United Kingdom
Visit site
Kärppä32 said:

Especially since he'll probably be a lock for Team Canada for the rest of his playing days. Maybe if he couldn't make Team Canada he might have opted to play for Germany (ala Hull for the US), but not now.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Pepper said:
Switzerland, they have good junior programs and steadily developing talent.

Agreed, this is the nation, not Germany, who is in the top division of the WJC's every year. Germany has more veteran talent, but the Swiss have a much better junior program.

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
I think people are underestimating Latvia and Belarus. They will just grow and develope plus there is hockey tradition in those small coutries. With better days ahead and financial situation getting better year after year I expect them to do some good things. On the other side I don't see the Swiss for example improving a lot. They are great, they have the money and good junior program but they hit the peak and I don't think they have potential to improve even more.

Latvia has great potential.

1) Hockey is religion and #1 sport
2) They know how to produce great players unlike Switzerland (where are all those Swiss first rounders?). They all seem to choke somewhere down the road.
3) The country is becoming wealthier and wealthier and they will invest more and more money.

Kitsune

Feb 20, 2003
Toronto ON CA
www.glidingeagle.com
Switzerland. They've been in the elite group of the WJC for a while now, and have a very nice junior program. They also have a very cold climate... :) I often go for the Swiss except for when they face Canada....

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
go kim johnsson 514 said:
Agreed, this is the nation, not Germany, who is in the top division of the WJC's every year. Germany has more veteran talent, but the Swiss have a much better junior program.

Right, but how many out the Swiss have gone on to any sort of success at the NHL level? Several high draft picks and nothing to show for it. Conversely, Germany hasn't done as well junior wise, but has faired pretty well sending players to the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->