What moves would you make this summer?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I’d try to get Eakin and Haula from Vegas to help burden the load down the middle. Haula was almost a 30 goal guy last year and lost most of this year to injury. Roll with

Coots
Patrick/Haula
Haula/Patrick/Frost
Eakin

As your 4 centers. If Patrick improves and shows he’s ready to be an above average center and Frost impresses in camp Haula corn always slot in as a middle six LW.

Vegas is in cap trouble having to resign William Karlsson as well as having a lot of extensions kick in we could probably get them for Hagg and a small add.
Funny enough, I was on their board last night looking at the chatter on these 2. Most seem to want to keep 1 for sure to protect their own depth. Some want Eakin and his PK ability, other Haula and his PP ability.

Either could be a buy low situation.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think it comes down to value, don't overpay in money or assets for a marginal improvement that will tie your hands in two years.

We have short-term cap room to add a veteran contract, but given all the pending RFA the next few years, I don't want 5x5 or more expensive deals for guys who are future 3Cs, bottom pair defensemen after a couple good years.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
"Columbus almost have to resign him or start a serious rebuild when they lose Panarin and Bob."
Fixed your post.
Going down the road, the decisions to not move Panarin and Bobrovsky and to add Duchene for the price that was paid, are going to stick out as some of the dumbest management decisions made in a long time. Losing two AS caliber players for no return is indefensible. Then overpaying for a replacement just exacerbates the problem.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
"Columbus almost have to resign him or start a serious rebuild when they lose Panarin and Bob."
Fixed your post.
Going down the road, the decisions to not move Panarin and Bobrovsky and to add Duchene for the price that was paid, are going to stick out as some of the dumbest management decisions made in a long time. Losing two AS caliber players for no return is indefensible. Then overpaying for a replacement just exacerbates the problem.
See i don't really agree with this . If they get by Boston i think it was a good move. Their GM thought that this is their year to make some noise and if they are going to lose those two anyways , adding a couple of players to help get them their ain't the worst thing they could have done . Adding those two and not even making the playoffs which was a real possibility would have been terrible but making some noise is a calculated risk and might not look that bad in a few weeks .

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
See i don't really agree with this . If they get by Boston i think it was a good move. Their GM thought that this is their year to make some noise and if they are going to lose those two anyways , adding a couple of players to help get them their ain't the worst thing they could have done . Adding those two and not even making the playoffs which was a real possibility would have been terrible but making some noise is a calculated risk and might not look that bad in a few weeks .
These are the sort of desperation moves that Ed Snider made during the end of his life with the Flyers in pursuit of one last Cup. We saw how that ended. Its great to make a move or two in order to strengthen the club's base for the POs but not at the cost of the future. Talk to me in two plus seasons when the BJs are a lottery pick. Duchess and Jones aren't going to be able to make that club more than a less than middling one. With what they could have received in return for Panarin and Borovsky could have kept them at a PO contending level making the other acquisitions unnecessary.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
These are the sort of desperation moves that Ed Snider made during the end of his life with the Flyers in pursuit of one last Cup. We saw how that ended. Its great to make a move or two in order to strengthen the club's base for the POs but not at the cost of the future. Talk to me in two plus seasons when the BJs are a lottery pick. Duchess and Jones aren't going to be able to make that club more than a less than middling one. With what they could have received in return for Panarin and Borovsky could have kept them at a PO contending level making the other acquisitions unnecessary.
Before those trades they were not making the playoffs at all . And they have not lost those players yet either , if they go on a good run it might help to encourage one of them to stay .

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
CBus will be better than people on here are giving credit for. Yes they lose Bob and Panarin...but gain 13 million in cap space to replace them. And they still have lots of youth that can take the next step(Bjork) as well as kids like Texier.

They still have a good D, some good F and good coach.

The Flyers need to start winning divisional games more than they have, to take that next step.

Reactions: IronMarshal

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I for some reason feel good about Patrick stepping up and playing like a 2C this year.
“Man never is, but always to be blest.”

Still have fans who didn’t learn their lesson from this season.

You can’t just “hope” a guy who has never done it in the past can fill the hugely important & difficult role of 2C at a level sufficient to compete for the Eastern Conference title.

If you’re wrong, you’ve wasted an entire season & yet another year of your core players getting older.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Columbus is still a relatively new franchise. They’re a small market & don’t have a big enough established fanbase. So those decisions had business in mind also.

In Bob’s case he had full no move clause. Add to that & how many teams were desperate for a pending UFA goalie this year there likely wasn’t much of market for him.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

You can’t just “hope” a guy who has never done it in the past can fill the hugely important & difficult role of 2C at a level sufficient to compete for the Eastern Conference title.

If you’re wrong, you’ve wasted an entire season & yet another year of your core players getting older.
That's not true, because you CAN still trade for a C thru the season.

Reminder, 2nd line production was 34 ES points at the low end(#62), 40 at the middle and 47 points on the high end. Patrick had 29 and Laughton had 30. So we "really" need 5 more ES points out of Patrick for him to be a 2nd line C in production. And for all we know, Frost could produce that too...or as well.

This doom and gloom about a wasted season is just not true. You know that.

I expect that backup plan just in case. But I don't expect going out and tying up big term and money for it. If we didn't have Frost in the system, then yes, go add a guy with term. But we just don't need to go there.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Better hope Brock Nelson doesn’t regress to his norm and can fill the hugely important & difficult role of 2C at a level sufficient to compete for the Eastern Conference title.

If you’re wrong, you’ve wasted an entire season & yet another year of your core players getting older. And then have Nelson signed for 4 more years. o_O

Want to talk about Duchene? Fine. That’s a different conversation. At least there’s no “hoping” he’s a high end 2C there.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Also....we were 14th in 5vs5 goals for this year. 4 of the playoff teams left playing had more, 4 had less. Dallas was 30th....with 29 less goals than us 5vs5.

Psst....goals AGAINST 5vs5...we were 2nd worst in the league....better than only Ottawa. I bet not using 8 goalie will help with that this year.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
The Flyers absolutely need an upgrade at center and if it means adding someone with significant term so be it. Can't just wait around for Patrick and Frost. Patrick to date is a third line center, and Frost has never played an NHL shift. If they both have great seasons and the Flyers have a bunch of center depth it's a great ''problem'' to have.

Reactions: tucson83

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation

I'm with you man. You'd think people would have learned that the Hextall plan of just hoping prospects/young players can jump right in and fill key roles for a playoff team doesn't typically work. It takes time for most players to find their game at the NHL level. Look at how long it took Couturier. What's the worst thing that can happen anyway if they sign a free agent center and Patrick and Frost have great seasons. They would have great center depth which is something they haven't had since they had Richards, Carter, Briere, and Giroux. They made that all work just fine.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Regress to Nelson’s norm of 37th in the entire league in ES goal scoring over the last 5 years from 63rd in the entire league the last 2 years? Oh what a below average 2C! Sure, sign me up depending on the terms.
(Btw, love the continuous straw-manning as if I haven’t repeatedly said I’m not pushing Nelson at all costs, or as even my preferred option; just saying that he’s being underrated & shouldn’t be summarily dismissed as an option, depending on his K demands.)

What this once again really boils down to is the desire to treat Corsi as an overarching, definitive player rating.

Last edited:

KrazyKat

May 27, 2013
Vancouver
I would
Target Duchene.
And trade for Subban for 11overall pick.
Re Sign Talbot.

Giroux—Couturier—Konecny
Van Reimsdyk—Duchene—Voracek
Lindblom—Patrick—Frost
Raffl—Laughton—Hartman

Provorov—Subban
Sanheim—Gostisbehere
Morin—Myers
Gudas
(Hagg)

Hart
Talbot

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I never mentioned the word “Corsi” with Nelson. Get your straw man here!

There’s more to playing center at a high end level than scoring goals. In fact, it’s kind of weird when a center’s best attribute is scoring and not passing or defense. It’s probably why Nelson has gone back and forth from center to wing. A person who pooh pooh’d Duchene because of vague “defense” reasons should get that.

Reactions: Tripod

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Regress to his norm of 37th in the entire league in ES goal scoring over the last 5 years from 63rd in the entire league the last 2 years? Sure, sign me up.

What this once again really boils down to is using Corsi as an overarching player rating.
The contracts that Hayes and Nelson are likely to both get concerns me, so I'm torn in regards to them. That said, they are both upgrades and since they can play wing just as effectively they make a lot of sense. Take away his career year in 18-19 and Nelson is still good for 40-45 points, most of which are at ES. He's a definite upgrade. Like everything else it will come down to cost.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
The contracts that Hayes and Nelson are likely to both get concerns me, so I'm torn in regards to them. That said, they are both upgrades and since they can play wing just as effectively they make a lot of sense. Take away his career year in 18-19 and Nelson is still good for 40-45 points, most of which are at ES. He's a definite upgrade. Like everything else it will come down to cost.
I agree. It’s going to depend on their demands & the market competition. I do expect a lot of competition for all 3 of the centers.

They’re going to have to overpay one, unless there’s a trade out there. I have my limits, for sure, but these guys have better track records than Ville Leino, which seems to be how a lot of posters are viewing Hayes & Nelson.

Flyers may have to suck it up & overpay a bit, but I think a lot of people are valuing contracts as if it were years ago, not with inflation/increased cap ceiling. There comes a point where if you want to compete, & you have big holes, it may take a contract that isn’t ideal in 4 seasons. But then again, a bigger cap may not make it a huge problem. Not like these guys are in their 30s already, either.

Reactions: The Madrigal

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
That's not true, because you CAN still trade for a C thru the season.
You don’t know that. Way easier said than done. It’s damn hard to trade for 2Cs; & if there are any being shopped, competition will be fierce. Plus, if the Flyers yet again have a hole at 2C, think teams aren’t going to use that as leverage to squeeze the hell out of them? So adding a 2C by trade isn’t something you can just do on demand midseason; & if you do trade for one, you’re going to be weakening your roster elsewhere.
Reminder, 2nd line production was 34 ES points at the low end(#62), 40 at the middle and 47 points on the high end. Patrick had 29 and Laughton had 30. So we "really" need 5 more ES points out of Patrick for him to be a 2nd line C in production. And for all we know, Frost could produce that too...or as well.
Right — NP would need to improve by 5 points to rank at the bottom of 2C production. I don’t think that’s what you want as your 2C entering a season if you have any aspirations for competing with Tavares/Matthews, Crosby/Malkin, Bergeron/Krejci, Backstrom/Kuznetsov, Barkov/Trochek, Dubois/Duchene (if he re-signs), Barzal/Nelson (if he re-signs) even Hischier/Hughes. You don’t want to risk being below average down the middle by crossing your fingers on players who’ve never been even average 2Cs in the NHL.
This doom and gloom about a wasted season is just not true. You know that.
You sure don’t know it’s not true; and in my *opinion* if they risk entering the season with Patrick & Frost as their 2C options, & neither makes the unlikely big jump to competing with the 1/2 C pairs I cited above, then it’s a wasted season. Because if you don’t matchup with the best teams in your conference, what’s the point?

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
You don’t know that. Way easier said than done. It’s damn hard to trade for 2Cs; & if there are any being shopped, competition will be fierce. Plus, if the Flyers yet again have a hole at 2C, think teams aren’t going to use that as leverage to squeeze the hell out of them? So adding a 2C by trade isn’t something you can just do on demand midseason; & if you do trade for one, you’re going to be weakening your roster elsewhere.

Right — NP would need to improve by 5 points to rank at the bottom of 2C production. I don’t think that’s what you want as your 2C entering a season if you have any aspirations for competing with Tavares/Matthews, Crosby/Malkin, Bergeron/Krejci, Backstrom/Kuznetsov, Barkov/Trochek, Dubois/Duchene (if he re-signs), Barzal/Nelson (if he re-signs) even Hischier/Hughes. You don’t want to risk being below average down the middle by crossing your fingers on players who’ve never been even average 2Cs in the NHL.

You sure don’t know it’s not true; and in my *opinion* if they risk entering the season with Patrick & Frost as their 2C options, & neither makes the unlikely big jump to competing with the 1/2 C pairs I cited above, then it’s a wasted season. Because if you don’t matchup with the best teams in your conference, what’s the point?

Patrick and Frost as your mid six center depth is inherently playing with fire. We need to figure out an option to be there if we want to relatively guarantee playoff aspirations. If not, the flyers are tacitly agreeing to another “developmental” year which is exactly what they didn’t say this upcoming season would be.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Screen Shot 2019-04-29 at 7.29.09 PM.png

Courtesy of NBCSP in an article titled: "Chuck Fletcher, Alain Vigneault and the Flyers may have a blueprint in the Islanders."

tenor.gif

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

Again, I am ok adding a C. I am not ok giving big money and term to 40-50 point centers.

Of those great teams above, only 3 are playing...arguably 2 of the worst 3. What about Carolina? Staal as their #2 and they are winning. Didn't waste their season.

and you keep saying you are not "pushing" for Nelson, yet you are. Most here can at least understand if they went after Duchene. But besides him, do you really think it's smart to spend 5 million on Nelson or Hayes for 4-5 years? I don't. If these 2 are my only 2 options, I easily pass.

Reactions: Rebels57

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad