What moves would you make this summer?

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Kekalainen went all in this year, so he knew this is the year.
They'll still have some very good young players (especially on D) to build around, but replacing Panarin and Bobrovsky will be nearly impossible.
They'll try to re-sign Duchene, but if he wants to be on a contender, there are probably better choices.

Everlong

Jun 21, 2018
I love Duchene’s speed, but from Fletchers post seasons comments I am expecting any new addition to have the reputation of being “character” players from all times he has mentioned changing the mindset.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
I love Duchene’s speed, but from Fletchers post seasons comments I am expecting any new addition to have the reputation of being “character” players from all times he has mentioned changing the mindset.

More so than character, I think he was interested in forwards that could help defensively.

Two cheaper free agent options that came to mind for me... Donskoi and Hagelin.

Another one, but likely a bit more pricey would be Zuccarello.

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
More so than character, I think he was interested in forwards that could help defensively.

Two cheaper free agent options that came to mind for me... Donskoi and Hagelin.

Another one, but likely a bit more pricey would be Zuccarello.
I think Zucc would be great. Vigneault would have the insight on him. Only issue is we already have a number of smaller players. Could happen if we do some other forward changes

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
Would you move Voracek for Subban? Might be something both teams would be interested in. Love Voracek and he's a big body that's perfect for playoffs but Subban would make sense short and mid term. Nashville needs some offence. Lavy might push this on Nashville end. Just throwing something based on Subban idea that was mentioned. Doesn't fit our need for a 3c though

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Would you move Voracek for Subban? Might be something both teams would be interested in. Love Voracek and he's a big body that's perfect for playoffs but Subban would make sense short and mid term. Nashville needs some offence. Lavy might push this on Nashville end. Just throwing something based on Subban idea that was mentioned. Doesn't fit our need for a 3c though
no.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
No one ever wants to leave the Sharks so Donskoi may not be possible but I would like him. I've always liked Hagelin too.

If they were going to target guys like that I don't know why they re-signed Raffl though.

I really do wish they'd just add wingers and let Patrick/Frost play but that's asking a lot.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
No one ever wants to leave the Sharks so Donskoi may not be possible but I would like him. I've always liked Hagelin too.

If they were going to target guys like that I don't know why they re-signed Raffl though.

I really do wish they'd just add wingers and let Patrick/Frost play but that's asking a lot.

If they do that they should probably trade Giroux. The organization (for better or worse), has committed itself to the prime years of Giroux, and they are going to chase success.

Additions will be made.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
If they do that they should probably trade Giroux. The organization (for better or worse), has committed itself to the prime years of Giroux, and they are going to chase success.

Additions will be made.

Giroux probably 3-5 prime years left. You're looking at best-case scenarios of Giroux winning a Cup at age 32-33. If he's still a top line player then, great. If not we're going to need Patrick and Frost to be big contributors and we might as well start their development in big roles now.

I don't think the difference between a Kevin Hayes and Nolan Patrick is going to make a tangible difference in next season.

If it turns out we're looking like a playoff contender next year and 2C is a real problem, you can always trade for a Hayes type.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

Why do we need to add wingers?

Giroux, JVR, Lindblom, Raffl
Voracek, Konecny, Hartman, NAK
Couts, Patrick, Laughton

That's is who is signed for next year or would have to clear waivers. Frost at C, Farabee at wing as our top F prospects.

We just don't "need" a bottom 6 winger....when both Hartman and Lindblom produced at 2nd liners at ES. Obviously, if you can add a top winger, like Panarin, you go do it.

But unless the plan is to move Giroux back to C if Frost is not ready, then we need a C option to be added. And I don't think Vorobyev will be that option. They want a vet.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Why do we need to add wingers?

Giroux, JVR, Lindblom, Raffl
Voracek, Konecny, Hartman, NAK
Couts, Patrick, Laughton

That's is who is signed for next year or would have to clear waivers. Frost at C, Farabee at wing as our top F prospects.

We just don't "need" a bottom 6 winger....when both Hartman and Lindblom produced at 2nd liners at ES. Obviously, if you can add a top winger, like Panarin, you go do it.

But unless the plan is to move Giroux back to C if Frost is not ready, then we need a C option to be added. And I don't think Vorobyev will be that option. They want a vet.

It's not a pressing need but I don't consider 2C or 1D a pressing need either.

If you can get a good value signing and upgrade the team you do it.

I'm not married to any of Raffl, Laughton or Hartman. Hagelin would add a ton of speed and be useful as a PKer.

Ideally we get Panarin but if you can get a Zucker, who's undervalued, you also do it.

Reactions: deadhead

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

I'm not married to any of Raffl, Laughton or Hartman. Hagelin would add a ton of speed and be useful as a PKer.

Ideally we get Panarin but if you can get a Zucker, who's undervalued, you also do it.
See...I view Zucker as someone who isn't undervalued. He has 1 season over 47 points. And surprise, surprise, he had his 64 point year in a contract year.

We just don't need to pay 5+ million for any middle line wingers unless it's our own someday. We did it for JVR. We don't need to do it anymore as we don't have that "need" anymore.

#2C and #1 are more of a need since none of our roster players CURRENTLY fit in those spots...but could. We already have 3RW and 3LW who produce at or higher than they will slot.

Go big or add a stopgap.

Reactions: TheKingPin

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
See...I view Zucker as someone who isn't undervalued. He has 1 season over 47 points. And surprise, surprise, he had his 64 point year in a contract year.

We just don't need to pay 5+ million for any middle line wingers unless it's our own someday. We did it for JVR. We don't need to do it anymore as we don't have that "need" anymore.

#2C and #1 are more of a need since none of our roster players CURRENTLY fit in those spots...but could. We already have 3RW and 3LW who produce at or higher than they will slot.

Go big or add a stopgap.

Zucker is a really good two-way forward and his metrics are excellent. Konecny is just a 47-50 point scorer himself and we act like he's an untouchable.

You've got NAK penciled in as a starting winger and that seems like an upgradeable spot to me. So is Raffl.

What I'm really against is committing 4-5 years and $30M to someone like Kevin Hayes. That's just a garbage move. Duchene might be worth it but it's questionable and it's not the best path for the Flyers to have sustained success.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007

No

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017

It’s cliched, but frost and Patrick especially are boom/bust. Our depth wingers are relatively known commodities. Even the d as a whole—the body of work isn’t sufficient to say for sure what we’re getting.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Outside the box thinking: AMac...for Hanzal

Dallas has: Klingberg, Heiskanen, Lindell, Oleksiak, Honka for next year. Lovejoy, Polak and Fedun UFA's.

Hanzal obviously comes with a bad back but "could" be recovered for next year. Both have 1 year left. It also removes AMac as an option for AV.

Reactions: Don Nachbaur 26

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Giroux probably 3-5 prime years left. You're looking at best-case scenarios of Giroux winning a Cup at age 32-33. If he's still a top line player then, great. If not we're going to need Patrick and Frost to be big contributors and we might as well start their development in big roles now.

I don't think the difference between a Kevin Hayes and Nolan Patrick is going to make a tangible difference in next season.

If it turns out we're looking like a playoff contender next year and 2C is a real problem, you can always trade for a Hayes type.
Not that I disagree with you 100%, but I think you missed the changes this year. Changes were made to win now. They aren’t going to go into the year without solidifying at one position of need. I think 2C and then Top 4 D. Waiting to see if we are good and then adding a 2C isn’t going to happen. Cap on extra wingers is not going to happen.

It’s go time.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Zucker is a really good two-way forward and his metrics are excellent. Konecny is just a 47-50 point scorer himself and we act like he's an untouchable.

You've got NAK penciled in as a starting winger and that seems like an upgradeable spot to me. So is Raffl.

What I'm really against is committing 4-5 years and $30M to someone like Kevin Hayes. That's just a garbage move. Duchene might be worth it but it's questionable and it's not the best path for the Flyers to have sustained success.
Are you wanting to give TK a $5.5 million dollar deal? I am not. That's the point.

No I don't have NAK penciled in. He needs to clear waivers so I think he becomes the #13 F when all is said and done. I think they will at least try and see what he could be under AV before exposing him to waivers.

Raffl was just signed, he is going to play on the 4th line.

As of today, we have 2 spots available...a C and RW. We have Frost and Farabee who could grab those as well as another kid. I 100% expect them to add that C and if Frost shows he is ready, start him at LW...Lindblom can move to RW.

to stress again, I just don't think we need to add 5+ million on a guy with term especially if that guy is a winger...UNLESS he is elite. Then you do it and make appropriate moves.

Reactions: TheKingPin

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Are you wanting to give TK a $5.5 million dollar deal? I am not. That's the point.

No I don't have NAK penciled in. He needs to clear waivers so I think he becomes the #13 F when all is said and done. I think they will at least try and see what he could be under AV before exposing him to waivers.

Raffl was just signed, he is going to play on the 4th line.

As of today, we have 2 spots available...a C and RW. We have Frost and Farabee who could grab those as well as another kid. I 100% expect them to add that C and if Frost shows he is ready, start him at LW...Lindblom can move to RW.

to stress again, I just don't think we need to add 5+ million on a guy with term especially if that guy is a winger...UNLESS he is elite. Then you do it and make appropriate moves.

If there was a center I liked I'd be for it. If ROR was available then sure.

Zucker's as good a player as Hayes if not better. He's not even a UFA so it's kinda pointless to talk about it.

Regardless, Raffl is a spot that should be targeted for upgrade. He can be a 13th forward.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
If there was a center I liked I'd be for it. If ROR was available then sure.

Zucker's as good a player as Hayes if not better. He's not even a UFA so it's kinda pointless to talk about it.

Regardless, Raffl is a spot that should be targeted for upgrade. He can be a 13th forward.
Agree to disagree. They signed Raffl to play and if/when a kid proves better, then the upgrade occurs.

Reactions: PhlthyRich

Flyers Faithful

Feb 12, 2016
I’d try to get Eakin and Haula from Vegas to help burden the load down the middle. Haula was almost a 30 goal guy last year and lost most of this year to injury. Roll with

Coots
Patrick/Haula
Haula/Patrick/Frost
Eakin

As your 4 centers. If Patrick improves and shows he’s ready to be an above average center and Frost impresses in camp Haula corn always slot in as a middle six LW.

Vegas is in cap trouble having to resign William Karlsson as well as having a lot of extensions kick in we could probably get them for Hagg and a small add.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I for some reason feel good about Patrick stepping up and playing like a 2C this year.
I think he likely will. Probably too late to trust in that with the current state of things. If we could land EK at the cost of us not touching the 2C issue I’d be ok with that. I’d rather have Patrick at 3C this year though provided we have a legit 2C

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad