What more does Datsyuk need to do before he is a HoF Lock?

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
"Several top 5 scoring finishes" Two counts as "several" now?

Heh. If Datsyuk does what he's been doing for about 3 more years, he's more likely than not. If he can hit 1000 points, playing the way he did, he's an absolute lock.

DetBigWangs

Dec 15, 2009
I still don't understand the Datsyuk love around here. What has he REALLY done? Honestly. He's a flashy skater, that's it. His age certainly doesn't help either.

Recreate this this thread when he wins a Hart, a Smythe, or leads the league in scoring. Thanks.

Watch him play first.:shakehead

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I'm a huge fan of Datsyuk, but Francis played through his decline as he got older, which is normal. You're looking at only Datsyuk's averages for his prime. Maybe if you compared once Datsyuk's averages decline as he plays towards age 40, then it would make sense to compare averages.

Basically. 3-5 years.

Francis didn't really decline when he got older, at least not until his last season or two. He was a freak. Datsyuk is clearly better than Francis was at his best, but Francis was at his best for 20 years, which is pretty freaking amazing.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
The thing with Datsyuk is he's getting BETTER still. His performance against the Coyotes in the playoffs was nothing short of legendary. He's starting to show flashes of an ability to dominate at a level similar to a Lemieux. The kind of skill where it seems like you've outgrown the NHL, and should be called up to some imaginary Super NHL.

No, I'm not saying he's as good as Lemieux or will ever consistently play that way, but he's one of a few players all time whose very best is that good.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
I still don't understand the Datsyuk love around here. What has he REALLY done? Honestly. He's a flashy skater, that's it. His age certainly doesn't help either.

Recreate this this thread when he wins a Hart, a Smythe, or leads the league in scoring. Thanks.

ok smart-ass, find me another player in our game as good or better then him top 5 defensively and offensively in the last 10 years?

Top 5 offense, top 5 defense among forwards. Go. Tell me one and if its legit, i'll say fine.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
By that logic then, Joe Thornton will have a much better chance then Datsyuk to get into the HoF. Do you think that is so? It's fine if you disagree, but I think Datsyuk will be looked back upon as a better player than Joe Thornton. Could just be the Wing's fan in me, but I thought that would be the general consencous too.

yes yes its just the wings fan in you.

thornton 3 100 point seasons, art ross, hart trophy, back to back 90+ assists (only 3rd player in nhl history to do so) oh and btw those 90+ assists are both basically at the same level as datsyuk's career highs in points (97). lead an entire decade in points (same decade that datsyuk played in). 1 top 10 finish in points, 1 top 5 in points, 3 top 3 in points. so in total 5 top 10 finishes, and 4 top 5 finishes in the league. thornton 1000 points in less then 1000 games all the while doing it 2 years before he reaches datsyuk's age (becoming something like the 30th player in league history to do that feat). 6 time all star, 2nd team all star once, 1st team all star once (at one of the hardest positions to get one).

datsyuk 0 100 point seasons, 0 harts, 0 art rosses, 3 selke's, 4 lady byng (which i don't even count as an award), 2 time all star, 1 time 2nd team all star. 2 or 3 cups, 0 top 10 finish in points, 2 top 5 finish in points, 0 top 3 finishes in points, so in total 2 top 10 finishes and 2 top 5 finishes.

the only thing that datsyuk has over thornton is his cups, which the hall of fame doesn't really care about. because if they did, then draper would be a lock for the hall of fame also.

so in all that tell me just how datsyuk is the better player in any world? and even if you want to say the playoffs, thornton has a .75 point per game average while datsyuk has a .75 points per game average.

eklunds source

Jul 23, 2008
Ed Snider's basement
The thing with Datsyuk is he's getting BETTER still. His performance against the Coyotes in the playoffs was nothing short of legendary. He's starting to show flashes of an ability to dominate at a level similar to a Lemieux. The kind of skill where it seems like you've outgrown the NHL, and should be called up to some imaginary Super NHL.

No, I'm not saying he's as good as Lemieux or will ever consistently play that way, but he's one of a few players all time whose very best is that good.
Thanks for the clearly objective opinion, Mr. "Syuk Dat" :naughty::sarcasm:

Francis also managed to score 77 points in 80 games (tied for 9th in the league), leading his team in scoring both in the regular season and the playoffs, while taking his team to the Stanley Cup finals... at age 37. That was in 2001-2002, the lowest scoring year in the NHL since 1955. There is no comparison, even after adjusting totals.

Feb 28, 2002
Abbotsford, BC
Visit site
Career Highlights so far
-3 Selkes
-Two Cups. 1 SCF.
-Several top 5 scoring finishes.
-Hall of Fame/legendary stick handling ability. If you think the writers won't remember that, you're kidding yourself
-4 Lady Byngs
-4 All Star Apperances + no show
-Second All Star Team 2009
- Best Plus Minus Award: 2008
- Calder Trophy Finalist
-World Championship Best Forward: 2010
-3 Time Olympian
-Nominated for Hart Trophy
-Voted Best Russian NHL Player by Russian NHL Players: 2010
-Feared Enforcer:sarcasm:

What else does he have to do to solidfy his Hall of Fame Status? I think his career numbers may hurt him since he played 3rd-2nd line minutes for so long on stacked Detroit teams early on/Dead Puck era. I think any 2 of these 3 and he is in. One more Cup, one more Selke, 1000 points or over a ppg.

I think he is a lock already. Done more than alot that are already in it. He's a first ballot HOF IMO.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
If you actually watch Joe Thornton play and then watch Pavel Datsyuk play it's pretty clear.

oh i have plenty for both, considering thornton has made dats and zetts look like kids for the past few years, especially when it comes to the playoffs.

Oiffub

Matthews > McDavid don't @ me
Mar 16, 2010
ACC
Even if he can't get 1000 I think he should be considered for the HOF.

He has arguably the most raw talent in the league.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Unless Datsyuk wins an Art Ross/Hart or a Conn Smythe or explodes for a few consecutive 90-100 point seasons, I doubt he'll ever be a "lock". If guys like Lindros and Bure, two of the most dominant forwards of the 90s, are having trouble getting in, Datsyuk may also struggle to earn his way on to the ballot. He's only ever had two elite offensive seasons, where he's finished at least top 15 in NHL scoring, and has never been consistently ranked as a top 5 player in the league. Only recently have people considered him second only Crosby (which I still think is wrong, as Ovechkin and Malkin are two of the most gifted players I've seen in the last few years). Also, his window to win a few more cups is shrinking, as Lidstrom is nearing retirement, Rafalski is gone, and he himself is already 33.

He'll be close but it's hard to know for sure.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
His point total's are not hall worthy so you would have to put him in on defensive merit combined. The three Selke's are going to help him but I wouldn't consider him a lock yet.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Datsyuk will be helped by the fact he's generally well-liked and few people have anything bad to say about him. Contrast that with some of the notable names that haven't been inducted as of now and then consider the "all-around swell guy" bonus some inductees got.

And it's not like the case is that outrageous just on merit. He's 6th in point per game since the lockout amongst players with more than two full seasons in the time span. The 5 in front of him, Crosby, Ovechkin, Jagr, Malkin and Thornton are likely HOF inductees if their careers don't get cut short very soon. Behind him you got guys like the Sedins, St.Louis, Alfredsson, Iginla..

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Datsyuk will be helped by the fact he's generally well-liked and few people have anything bad to say about him. Contrast that with some of the notable names that haven't been inducted as of now and then consider the "all-around swell guy" bonus some inductees got.

And it's not like the case is that outrageous just on merit. He's 6th in point per game since the lockout amongst players with more than two full seasons in the time span. The 5 in front of him, Crosby, Ovechkin, Jagr, Malkin and Thornton are likely HOF inductees if their careers don't get cut short very soon. Behind him you got guys like the Sedins, St.Louis, Alfredsson, Iginla..

which is pretty scary considering he is scoring at a 1.09 points per game average. which is good, but nothing that impressive.

and still if he had kept up that average for his entire career from rookie season to now, he would only have 721 points.

rx7dryver

Apr 11, 2009
oh i have plenty for both, considering thornton has made dats and zetts look like kids for the past few years, especially when it comes to the playoffs.

Yep, he showed how big a man he is by faking injuries and crying for momma.

CloneHakanPlease*

Thornton has been outplayed by Dats every series they've matched up. It's not Datsyuk's fault SJ was deeper both years, and their depth destroyed our depth.

262b7nb.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad