Speculation: What month are the Penguins out of the playoffs in 2019-20

What month will the Penguins be out of the playoffs?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Well our roster is starting off better than last year. Plus I’ll assume Schultz isn’t basically neutered for the whole season with a badly broken leg.

From opening night we lost Brassard, Cullen, Hagelin, Kessel, Maatta, Oleksiak, Sheahan and Sprong.

We’ve gained McCann, Bjugstad, Tanev, Galchenyuk, Kahun, Pettersson, Gudbranson and Blueger .

Brassard = Bjugstad
Cullen = Cullen?
Hagelin = Tanev
Kessel = Galchenyuk
Maatta = Pettersson
Oleksiak = Gudbranson
Sheahan = Kahun
Sprong = Blueger (goodbye sweet prince.)

McCann =
you-are-my-number-one-guy-memegenerator-net-you-are-my-49164318.png

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Brassard << Bjugstad
Cullen < McCann
Hagelin = Tanev
Kessel = Galchenyuk
Maatta < Pettersson
Oleksiak < Gudbranson
Sheahan << Kahun
Sprong << Blueger (goodbye sweet prince.)

Damn it autocorrected your quote ;)

That’s more accurate in terms of what they were here last year compared to the potential of the new guys (some who did play last year). We kind of added Schultz too

Brassard, Sheahan and Sprong were basically dog ****. I’d rank them on JR scale as July 1st JR.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Pens ain't missing the playoffs. Sid/Geno always seem capable of going into Beastmode when it looks dire. As long as Murray doesn't miss significant time, we should be fine.

Now once the playoffs begin, that's another story ...

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Well.

Our D is worse. Our stars are a year older. We have multiple question marks in terms of wingers. Every team in our division outside of the Canes got better. We lost an elite point producer and replaced him with a equally lame defensive liability who scores less and a 4th liner that had a career season.

Also, we have plenty of threads like this from time to time. You should’ve been around here during 2015..

It’s light hearted. You do realize the salary cap thread is called JR is the worst.
I don't think our D is worse. We didn't have Pettersson. Maatta had a horrendous start to the year. If Gudbranson plays the way he did last year then he's better than Ruhwedel.

Crosby and Letang aren't falling off a cliff physically next year. Not with the way they train. Malkin's coming back highly motivated after a bad year. And for 10 forwards aged 23-27, being a year older and more experienced can prove useful.

What question marks on wings? We're pretty balanced on both sides. The 3rd and 4th lines especially looks so much better.

We did lose Phil and that is a valid argument that we got worse there. Gotta remember however that Jake replaces him on PP1. How many of Phil's 36 PPP's does Jake get? Probably like 25, right? How many of the 13 SHGA prevented without Phil there?
Then looking at ES, how many of Phil's 46 ES points does Galchenyuk get? I see no reason he can't get 35+ with Malkin.
So yeah, we lose that deal short term offensively, but I'm expecting the 2nd line to allow fewer goals against with a fresh look and better attitude. The net loss with losing Phil isn't that tragic.

---

I got no problem with you if you get back to posting more on the level of what you did when I came here last summer. You used to try harder. These kinds of posts are a slippery slope. Threads like these eventually lead to threads like this:

That's reddit for you, and yes those are actual threads. That's what I'd like to avoid. Light-hearted stuff is fine and we do it need sometimes with how angry people get here. But there should be one master thread for it.

Jobeycool

Jun 20, 2019
If they make it the playoffs....they will get steam rolled 4 straight again...I don’t get what this team just did...

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
I don't think our D is worse. We didn't have Pettersson. Maatta had a horrendous start to the year. If Gudbranson plays the way he did last year then he's better than Ruhwedel.

Crosby and Letang aren't falling off a cliff physically next year. Not with the way they train. Malkin's coming back highly motivated after a bad year. And for 10 forwards aged 23-27, being a year older and more experienced can prove useful.

What question marks on wings? We're pretty balanced on both sides. The 3rd and 4th lines especially looks so much better.

We did lose Phil and that is a valid argument that we got worse there. Gotta remember however that Jake replaces him on PP1. How many of Phil's 36 PPP's does Jake get? Probably like 25, right? How many of the 13 SHGA prevented without Phil there?
Then looking at ES, how many of Phil's 46 ES points does Galchenyuk get? I see no reason he can't get 35+ with Malkin.
So yeah, we lose that deal short term offensively, but I'm expecting the 2nd line to allow fewer goals against with a fresh look and better attitude. The net loss with losing Phil isn't that tragic.

---

I got no problem with you if you get back to posting more on the level of what you did when I came here last summer. You used to try harder. These kinds of posts are a slippery slope. Threads like these eventually lead to threads like this:

That's reddit for you, and yes those are actual threads. That's what I'd like to avoid. Light-hearted stuff is fine and we do it need sometimes with how angry people get here. But there should be one master thread for it.

I'd like this if my like button wasn't broken.

That's why I stay away from Reddit for any sort of discussion.

Reactions: Riikolas Revenge

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I picked May. I think this team will get back to the Conference Finals, but their blueline will finally show its warts then.

Pens were 6th in goals scored last year. I think they drop a couple spots, but not out of top ten. They were 14th in goals allowed, and I expect the more consistent play from the forward group to help them get back in the top ten.

But when space gets tighter in playoffs, the inability to consistently escape danger and generate possession from the back end will be critical.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Should be similar to last year, only question is if there's more despair this year so the guys don't get a good start. Kessel has driven the powerplay for 2 years and Sid and Geno get in bad ruts of refusing to get away from the walls so our PP will rely on coaching being better than it has been. It's unlikely that we go from 20+% all the way to like 10% though. Our forward depth is probably better this year, McCann and Blueger should be better than what we had last year, Kahun at least will certainly add some offense. As long as we stay away from Cullen our bottom 6 should be solid.

Our problem is D though. If Sully has us playing hope hockey again with everyone collapsing to the net instead of forcing turnovers at the blueline, Sid and Geno might just not get going at all and then the whole team will sink.

I think if we get an alright start we might make the playoffs. We'll definitely need the early points though.

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
I like this team. Some contracts are meh, but the assembly is better then the last two seasons. Two of the three players I wanted traded are gone (Kessel and Maatta). Still prefers to have a better player then JJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad