What modern defenseman could become a star forward right now?

RSPens

May 25, 2015
Did you play in NHL though?

No, But I did grow up playing with people who did. If Federov can become a reliable defenseman in the NHL, I am pretty sure a star offensive defenseman can make it as a forward, maybe not a star forward, but definitely at least a reliable one.

However back to my original statement that seems to be getting ignored. Letang could work well as a forward. He definitely has the speed to skate with Crosby and Guentzel, the skill to skate with Crosby and Malkin and the grit to handle the boards and the net. Of course if Letang was a forward I would expect him to be more of a perimeter player (like Kessel), but with more edge and a lot more defensive ability.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Burns and Buff are the only ones I’d feel comfortable playing at forward. The skill sets between forwards and Dmen are way too different to make that switch seamlessly.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
One younger guy that stood out in that way was Shea Theodore. Maybe not a star forward, but I think he would be alright.

The physicality isn't quite there to be a two-way winger, but he does have pretty good offensive instincts. He gets caught up sometimes when he takes a risk, but that's the risk-reward of that type of player. Definitely skates well. He also has the size, but he doesn't always utilize it. More like a rover style than a winger.

Also, we can mention Stu Bickel played 4RW back on the 2011-2012 Rangers a couple times when we had some injuries, so...

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Letang would make a great forward as well. Basically any Offensive defenseman could be a good forward.
That isn't true at all. Just because he is good offensively doesnt mean he will excel at the forward position. Karlsson sees the play develope from the defence position, he likely wouldn't be as good at the forward position.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
That isn't true at all. Just because he is good offensively doesnt mean he will excel at the forward position. Karlsson sees the play develope from the defence position, he likely wouldn't be as good at the forward position.

I agree with this. it isn't about skating, shooting or passing. It's about thinking the game. I have played pretty high level hockey and at this point play in several men's league's. I'm able to play both up or back but can play the game at a higher level playing back because I think it better

Reactions: maacoshark

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad