Speculation: What might Sakic do?

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
^ Not if it's Hakka Chinese. That ****'s like an Asian 'Best of"

Also I was just thinking how sad it is that our AHL club is last in their division. At least with past teams that have sucked like Toronto, Buffalo, Columbus, and Edmonton, they've gotten some good performances from their AHL club promising the future. Just a complete failure all around.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
Why?

The rumors are swirling around Kamenos wanting to sell / move the team for a while now.

They will only get louder if they miss the playoffs again.

Don't get why it is outlandish to believe that a team that hasn't made the playoffs in 7 years that is by far the leading candidate for relocation (add the rumors about Quebec wanting a team) isn't in danger of losing the team right now?

Forbes has them as the least valuable franchise in the league and they are 30th in attendance with an owner clearly willing to sell.

Really don't get why it is outlandish to say that they desperately need to make the playoffs this season and increase their marketability if they want to fight off those rumors...

You were probably looking at an older list, or more likely just saw it wrong. This is the 2016 list and I have seen this list several times over the last decade and Arizona is almost always at the bottom. Just one away now. Carolina is only 2 away from the bottom with Florida taking the cake now, but normally Arizona is at the very bottom especially since the league took over.

https://www.surepayroll.com/resources/blog/the-most-valuable-nhl-teams

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Why?

The rumors are swirling around Kamenos wanting to sell / move the team for a while now.

They will only get louder if they miss the playoffs again.

Don't get why it is outlandish to believe that a team that hasn't made the playoffs in 7 years that is by far the leading candidate for relocation (add the rumors about Quebec wanting a team) isn't in danger of losing the team right now?

Forbes has them as the least valuable franchise in the league and they are 30th in attendance with an owner clearly willing to sell.

Really don't get why it is outlandish to say that they desperately need to make the playoffs this season and increase their marketability if they want to fight off those rumors...

They need to hold on a couple more years lol, that way they can move to Seattle. I will lose my mind with Joy if that team goes to Seattle. I might have to move back home early just so I can be a STM from the start.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
They need to hold on a couple more years lol, that way they can move to Seattle. I will lose my mind with Joy if that team goes to Seattle. I might have to move back home early just so I can be a STM from the start.

Same, and the closest I've come to Seattle is Toronto. :laugh:

Something about Seattle and hockey just makes me giddy for a team to get there, would immediately become a secondary team.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Same, and the closest I've come to Seattle is Toronto. :laugh:

Something about Seattle and hockey just makes me giddy for a team to get there, would immediately become a secondary team.

Seattle deserved a team a hell of a lot more than Vegas.

For as big of hippies as we're known for being... That city supports their teams through thick and thin just like Canadian fans do with their hockey teams.

There were plenty of fans in the building during the down years for the Seahawks and Mariners. That city LOVES the Sounders as well.

It's a sports town like no other (like no one realizes really) honestly, and I think we'd have a great rivalry with Vancouver and the California teams. The Seahawks and 49ers actually took out road side banners in each city with adds just to mess with the other, and the Mayors made bets on the game. Seattle would be an awesome NHL city, and they support two WHL clubs close by really well.

I'd love nothing more than to see Seattle get a team like Colorado did where most of the rebuilding was done already lol.

Edit : My home town (Wenatchee in Central WA) just built a brand new arena to host a Junior A team called the Wenatchee Wild. There is a lot of hockey blood in that state at every level except the NHL. They are really well supported too.

Last edited:

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
For as big of hippies as we're known for being... That city supports their teams through thick and thin just like Canadian fans do with their hockey teams.

There were plenty of fans in the building during the down years for the Seahawks and Mariners. That city LOVES the Sounders as well.

It's a sports town like no other (like no one realizes really) honestly, and I think we'd have a great rivalry with Vancouver and the California teams. The Seahawks and 49ers actually took out road side banners in each city with adds just to mess with the other, and the Mayors made bets on the game. Seattle would be an awesome NHL city, and they support two WHL clubs close by really well.

I'd love nothing more than to see Seattle get a team like Colorado did where most of the rebuilding was done already lol.

Edit : My home town (Wenatchee in Central WA) just built a brand new arena to host a Junior A team called the Wenatchee Wild. There is a lot of hockey blood in that state at every level except the NHL. They are really well supported too.

If that's true the league are idiots for not expanding there sooner, damn.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
They need an arena, that's the problem

They are building it without public money now.

The offer is outlined in a lengthy letter to the Seattle's mayor, the King County Executive, and Seattle City Councilmembers. The letter unequivocally says the group is willing to build the arena "at no cost to the City or the County," a change from the original proposal which called for the city and county to back about $200 million in bonds to fund construction.

http://www.king5.com/news/local/sea...-privately-finance-arena-fix-lander/341564181

I think the reason the Seattle group didn't make the deadline for expansion is because they want to wait and spend the 20M on the roads to make the Arena work in SoDo, instead of spending 20M to upgrade the downtown Arena even as a temporary home. Which makes getting an expansion team this soon difficult.

It's probably going to take a few more years, but there is a couple of teams in the NHL that are primed for relocation over the next 3-5 years.

Last edited:

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Biggest problems are that our players are all paid like top line players. They are also signed to more than one year deals. There simply aren't many buyers looking for top line players with more than a year left on their contracts.

Joe might have the right idea now, but he was wrong by waiting this long. This **** should've come to a boil a long time ago and that is probably another reason why Roy left.

I know it is a dead horse, but I keep coming back to the Avs getting rid of two-way forwards...Stastny for free and ROR being for big Z....I've always said Duchene and MacKinnon were too similar and didn't provide enough to force teams to change their strategies. ROR is a different animal. I would trade either Dutchy or MacK strait up for him today if he and the Sabres were open for it.

The Avs really need a different look on the one line..yes...they need better players surrounding the core but the fact remains...the core is not solid. It's one dimensional and focused on excuses.

Why was he 'wrong' by waiting this long? The Avs made the playoffs in Year 1 and were competitive in Year 2, less so in Year 3 but many teams miss the playoffs every single year. The end of last season was a disaster and it forced them to re-assess the state of the franchise in the summer. They decided to sign stop-gaps and understood that this season would likely not be a playoff year either. (unless you believe that they signed Tyutin, Weircioch & Colbourne and thought that would put them over the hump? :laugh:) They knew that Iginla wasn't going to get any better and would be worse and the same could be said about Beauchemin. There will be a big-time reset next year once we get a bunch of the deadweight off the team.

In my opinion, the reason they've waited this long is because of insurance. If they had traded Duchene last summer and gotten new players coming in and a lot of the excitement and optimism that comes with it but mixed in with the poor role players and a lot of deadweight as well...so the results are likely still the same : on the outside of the playoff picture. The insurance that is needed to move a guy like Duchene is that you're able to draft a player that could someday take his place in the top-6. If you're making a move and improving the team marginally and then drafting 8th to 14th, you're not getting that insurance and you're taking a bigger risk that it's not going to happen or could happen in 3-4 years. So unless the Avs get a fantastic frikkin' deal between now and the TD, I'd expect Duchene and Landeskog to stay put. Duchene is the most likely to be moved out but it makes more sense that it would happen at the draft when the Avs know what # they are picking at.

As far as the ROR deal, I posted immediately after it happened that it was a step back to make a leap forward...and here we are. I don't know how anyone could see it any differently...you can't trade a fully developed, 24 year old that's a big part of your team for a couple of 20 year olds + picks + prospects and expect everything to be hunky dory right away.

Zadorov is 21 years old and already showing signs of being a pretty good Top-4 d-man with upside for more. With Compher and Greer on the cusp of the NHL, we'll soon see the REAL impact of that deal but I think we took them to the cleaners, personally.

I know some people still can't get over ROR but are you ****ing kidding me? ROR at $1.5M per year MORE than Duchene and $1.2M MORE than MacKinnon and you'd trade either for him?? Why? ROR is surrounded by good players yet again : Eichel, Okposo, Reinhart, Kane...etc. Where are the playoffs for the Sabres?? While he plays a really good 2-way game and is likely the Sabres next captain, we cannot act like if we had ROR on the Avs instead of MacK or Duchene that the results would be any different than they are right now.

If you take me back in time, even knowing what I know now, I STILL make the deal for Zadorov because I'm fairly certain that there is no way I sign MacKinnon for $6.3M long-term if I sign ROR for $7.5M per year. (+ I love Zadorov and Compher and Greer look like good bets for the NHL, we'll see what happens with Morrison)

Now when you say that Mack and Duchene are too similar, I think you are on to something. Both are mostly 'shoot-first', dangerous off the rush guys and basically it forces you to have all of your top-6 forwards fit into that mold...and I think THAT'S probably the biggest issue with the core at forward. That's also why I think we see some teams struggle to defend against that on some nights and other teams easily contain us when they are the type of team that are better able to defend that. If we are going to be structured like that, the we need more high-end 'East-West' type of playmakers (like Drouin). I think Rantanen can play that role eventually but he's still finding his way this year.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Why was he 'wrong' by waiting this long? The Avs made the playoffs in Year 1 and were competitive in Year 2, less so in Year 3 but many teams miss the playoffs every single year. The end of last season was a disaster and it forced them to re-assess the state of the franchise in the summer. They decided to sign stop-gaps and understood that this season would likely not be a playoff year either. (unless you believe that they signed Tyutin, Weircioch & Colbourne and thought that would put them over the hump? ) They knew that Iginla wasn't going to get any better and would be worse and the same could be said about Beauchemin. There will be a big-time reset next year once we get a bunch of the deadweight off the team.

I'm not so sure they knew going in this wasn't a playoff team. I know there was that rumor about what Sakic said about it being a transition year but that also came out well after the bottom had fallen out. Plugging holes with vets is what they've done the last few years and expected better results, not sure why this year would be any different.

I'm really curious how they view next year and this whole process. Are they really resigned to not making the playoffs for a few years through a rebuild? I'm not so sure.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I'm not so sure they knew going in this wasn't a playoff team. I know there was that rumor about what Sakic said about it being a transition year but that also came out well after the bottom had fallen out. Plugging holes with vets is what they've done the last few years and expected better results, not sure why this year would be any different.

I'm really curious how they view next year and this whole process. Are they really resigned to not making the playoffs for a few years through a rebuild? I'm not so sure.

If I remember correctly the context was that it was viewed as a sentiment held before the season started. That's how I remember it anyways, because I remember thinking that Roy leaving must have kicked off this idea that the team needed to go in a different direction before Bednar was even hired.

I also completely believe TMV that Sakic was planning on leaving if they didn't make the playoffs as well, so at some point something changed for Sakic. Roy was obviously the one who wanted the team to be more like LA/Boston, and I wonder if Sakic & McFarland wanted speed like Chicago/Pitt.

With Roy gone I think the mandate changed and maybe Sakic seen a chance to take the team in his own direction instead of it being this two-headed monster. Something had to have changed Sakic's mind, because everything he says now sounds like he wants to be here to run the reboot/reset/rebuild.

This is all obviously speculation akin to an educated guess, though I don't think it's far fetched.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006

Sakic says we gotta get younger, and also said we gotta build this this thing. Those exact words.

That to me means they're not expecting playoffs for a while. Everyone knows rebuilding a team isn't overnight

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Sakic says we gotta get younger, and also said we gotta build this this thing. Those exact words.

That to me means they're not expecting playoffs for a while. Everyone knows rebuilding a team isn't overnight

That's quite a leap from we need to get younger to we are going to go through a rebuild. This is the Avs, who have never accepted reality and resigned to rebuild. I'm going to need a bit more than that to understand what their plan is.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
That's quite a leap from we need to get younger to we are going to go through a rebuild. This is the Avs, who have never accepted reality and resigned to rebuild. I'm going to need a bit more than that to understand what their plan is.

He did say we need to rebuild, loud and clear.

His exact words in that radio interview that is posted here, he said we need to build this thing, that means previous rebuild didn't work, they need to build it again.

It's just obvious that 13-14 season gave them false assessment of the the team, and they thought bringing in bunch of vets would help. Also losing Stastny, and trading ROR for prospects set the team back as well.

Now they know they gotta go through a rebuild again. There is just no other way improving this team.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
They've got to rebuild the staff first if they want the results to be any different. Front office, pro and amateur scouting, development, coaching.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Ideally this team would change everything, coaches, scouts, GM, even the owner, but odds are a lot of those wont change, if any.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Some of y'all dont trust him to pull off a trade but yet trust some implied meaning in his very vague and brief statements. Ok. They've also been trying to "build" through the draft since Sakic took over. I need more than using the word build in a sentence once to believe the mighty Avalanche has accepted a rebuild.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
He didn't say "rebuild". He (allegedly) said "build".

As in, "build a defense" (by sacrificing the offense).

Could very possibly have retooling on his mind, not rebuilding...

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

Bender

Sep 25, 2002

You make a fair point but very, very rarely have we ever heard the GM of a team concede a season so early on. We heard the report mid-december (3-4 days after the 10-1 debacle against the habs) and there were still 75% of the season to go and our record was something like 10 wins and 15 losses. Usually, we'll always hear stuff like "we really need to get on a run in a hurry to get back into this thing" and stuff like that.

Sakic also did say prior to July 1st that they weren't planning on 'being big players' on July 1st and staying out of the bidding even though they did end up signing Tyutin, Weircioch and Colbourne on that day. They didn't really give those guys any term though. Colbourne was brought instead of re-upping Boedker at half the term and almost half the cost. It hasn't worked out but the idea behind bringing in a guy who scored 19 goals and 44 points the year prior wasn't horrible.

Note - I'm still not sure what happened with Colborne though. He scored a hat trick in Game 1 and then was he really even given a REAL opportunity on the top-2 line following that? I remember him getting a chance but that was like 14-15 games later...seems like kind of a raw deal.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Sakic didn't give that report tho, it was a French journalist. Sakic didn't say anything until after the holiday break, didn't he? I know it's pretty rare that anyone comes out and says we are going to lose! But when a rebuild is clearly happening they say something, remember Babcock's there will be pain statement? The Avs have tried to build and compete at the same time, that's kind of the assumed mo. I guess we'll know more through actions than words. We'll see how many key pieces they move and how they fill the holes for next year, either with kids or vets. But that gets back to my point that I'm not reading much into the very little Sakic said because of it too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad