What measures should Crosby take to try avoid concussions?

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
Don't need Mac, he's a waste of a valuable spot on our lines against a tough opponent. We have Cooke, Glass, Engo, Vitale, and the oft-unnoticed-in-the-checking-department Kunitz. Neal has been using his size a lot more, and maybe by March Tangradi will be doing the same. The first game vs Boston last season our Pens roughed them up good, I remember several choice hits on Chara.

Our roster is plenty tough enough to stand toe-to-toe against Boston.

I completely disagree. First of all, the 12th forward spot, in a regular season game is usually pretty insignificant. Not sure I'd consider Mac in that spot a waste if it keeps some of our stars from getting knocked out.

Secondly, are you kidding? We don't match their size, and not even close to matching their toughness. Not saying that makes them better, just different. I also remember Sid taking some serious cheapshots against them later in the year, including a hit to the head from behind by Krejic I think. Doubt Engo or Glass could match Thorton and Lucic. And no way can Cooke, Vitale, or Kunitz match Chara, McQaid, and Horton.

JQR

Clearly it's Lovejoy
Jan 25, 2012
I completely disagree. First of all, the 12th forward spot, in a regular season game is usually pretty insignificant. Not sure I'd consider Mac in that spot a waste if it keeps some of our stars from getting knocked out.

Secondly, are you kidding? We don't match their size, and not even close to matching their toughness. Not saying that makes them better, just different. I also remember Sid taking some serious cheapshots against them later in the year, including a hit to the head from behind by Krejic I think. Doubt Engo or Glass could match Thorton and Lucic. And no way can Cooke, Vitale, or Kunitz match Chara, McQaid, and Horton.

Not at all. I saw it with my own eyes. Pretty sure it was the 3/11/2012 game last season (I was mistaken about it being earlier in the season). Pens established physical dominance early and kicked ass the whole game. Here's the recap.

MonsterSurge

Nov 14, 2011
Don't need Mac, he's a waste of a valuable spot on our lines against a tough opponent. We have Cooke, Glass, Engo, Vitale, and the oft-unnoticed-in-the-checking-department Kunitz. Neal has been using his size a lot more, and maybe by March Tangradi will be doing the same. The first game vs Boston last season our Pens roughed them up good, I remember several choice hits on Chara.

Our roster is plenty tough enough to stand toe-to-toe against Boston.

Fights we can win against Bwwwwoston:

Engelland vs Thornton/McQuaid
Glass/Vitale vs Campbell

The Engelland vs Thornton would be tough.

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
1 diagnosed concussion (look up second impact syndrome, if he had a second concussion that close to the first, he'd likely be done).
1 diagnosed (after many months) neck injury.

He wasn't getting better until they discovered the neck injury. As soon as they began treatment for that he made strides immediately.

I'm concerned every time he gets hit, but I don't think it's necessary to change his game at this point.

Wait, didn´t Crosby make a comeback and played for several games before being hit in the Boston game? You mean he came back without getting any better?

I know about the neck injury, but he must have gotten better since he made the first comeback?

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I need to stay out of this thread. You guys can keep worrying all you want. I'll just enjoy watching a healthy Crosby.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad