What measures should Crosby take to try avoid concussions?

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Handshake is right: I heard Letang is building a survival bunker and hydroponic farm in his back yard... and hoarding dried soup mixes at the local grocer.

Dr Frasier Crane

Oct 16, 2008
Boston, MA
Even if Crosby gets another concussion, nothing says it'll keep him out longer than a week. Just keep playing how he always has. And that includes the odd fight here and there.

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
OP, I just realized that Kris Letang has also had a concussion! Do you think that Letang's concussion is responsible for his behavioral problems off the ice (reckless preserving of foodstuffs, insatiable hunger for starches, his lotto addiction)? Please advise!

You got to be kidding me? This was a serious thread and many people agree to some extent with it. If you do not, leave it alone or pick 1st answer and be done with it.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
I'd rather not see him dish out big hits and give opponents a reason to return the favor. The less big hits he takes, the better. Not dishing out big hits can potentially reduce the total number of big hits that he ultimately takes. We need him to be Crosby, not Ovechkin, etc.

Dessloch

Nov 29, 2005
Crosby's fought enough times in his career already to show that he's not afraid to do it but he's a superstar and so he shouldn't do it. Not even an idiot like Don Cherry can argue that.

Well, judging by your theory, more than 50% of all people that have voted and written in this thread are idiots or at least are idiotic when it comes to their opinion about this issue :sarcasm: :D

Last edited:

MonsterSurge

Nov 14, 2011
It's not like Crosby is out there dropping the gloves with Colton Orr on a regular basis. The last guy he fought was Claude friggin' Giroux. The toughest guy he fought was Andrew Ference and he bloodied him. He's no Jarome Iginla, but he can fight.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I'd rather not see him dish out big hits and give opponents a reason to return the favor. The less big hits he takes, the better. Not dishing out big hits can potentially reduce the total number of big hits that he ultimately takes. We need him to be Crosby, not Ovechkin, etc.

So he should just play like Crosby then?

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
You got to be kidding me? This was a serious thread and many people agree to some extent with it. If you do not, leave it alone or pick 1st answer and be done with it.

Lighten up :laugh:

Crosby is healed so he should play 100% like Crosby. Sure he can avoid the after the whistle scrums, but that has less to do with a risk of recurring concussions and more to do with not being an idiot. You never want your star player getting in scrums, unless it's absolutely necessary. So my answer to this thread would be the same for Malkin.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
The best way to avoid hockey-related head injuries has always been to move to the mountains and chill out in your bubble. Sid's done enough for this city... he should go live out his retirement in peace. Find a nice wife who knows how to cook in a bubble, have some babies... and God help the persons who take it all away from him. For they will have created the next frontier legend -- Liver Eating Crosby.

bubble-architecture-.jpg

I was think of posting a bubble myself, so picture a bubble with a Sid imposed in it.

*Pic of Bubble Boy Sid*

Dessloch

Nov 29, 2005
He had one concussion and a long undiagnosed neck injury.

He's fine.

Was it not a concussion during the winter classic and then one more Vs Tampa Bay January 4th? Symptoms appeared after the game Vs Bolts preventing him from playing in Montreal later.

There is a HUGE difference between having one concussion or being concussed AGAIN while already being concussed. From Crosbys recovery time it would lead us to believe he was concussed twice!

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Was it not a concussion during the winter classic and then one more Vs Tampa Bay January 4th? Symptoms appeared after the game Vs Bolts preventing him from playing in Montreal later.

There is a HUGE difference between having one concussion or being concussed AGAIN while already being concussed. From Crosbys recovery time it would lead us to believe he was concussed twice!

So let's just worry forever!

Dessloch

Nov 29, 2005
So let's just worry forever!

There is a difference between worrying and doing what you can do to prevent further injury. As you can see from the first post there are multiple versions of actions, depending on how careful one wants to be!

MonsterSurge

Nov 14, 2011
There is a difference between worrying and doing what you can do to prevent further injury. As you can see from the first post there are multiple versions of actions, depending on how careful one wants to be!

You should send him an e-mail. I'm sure he'd like to hear from you.

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
2nded in every way shape and form.

Its only been two games but it seems to me that teams are taking runs at him. You can't play hockey and avoid that stuff. Its Crosby... he's a target.

It made me sick to see Lucic talking garbage to Sid last year. Then end it with "... what are you going to do about it?" Then we see Asham standing between Chara and Lucic. It was almost laughable. Thats on the Pens and shame on them for not understanding that.

I'm not talking about bringing in a goon but the Pens need legit toughness and size. Man I miss those championship run teams.

Agree 100%. When we play Boston this year, I want Big Mac in the lineup. I'm sure we could survive 1 frickin game without Craig Adams. Just too many meatheads on that team:

Chara
Thorton
Lucic
McQaid
Horton

Not to mention guys like Boychuk, Campbell, etc.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown

1 diagnosed concussion (look up second impact syndrome, if he had a second concussion that close to the first, he'd likely be done).
1 diagnosed (after many months) neck injury.

He wasn't getting better until they discovered the neck injury. As soon as they began treatment for that he made strides immediately.

I'm concerned every time he gets hit, but I don't think it's necessary to change his game at this point.

JQR

Clearly it's Lovejoy
Jan 25, 2012
Agree 100%. When we play Boston this year, I want Big Mac in the lineup. I'm sure we could survive 1 frickin game without Craig Adams. Just too many meatheads on that team:

Chara
Thorton
Lucic
McQaid
Horton

Not to mention guys like Boychuk, Campbell, etc.

Don't need Mac, he's a waste of a valuable spot on our lines against a tough opponent. We have Cooke, Glass, Engo, Vitale, and the oft-unnoticed-in-the-checking-department Kunitz. Neal has been using his size a lot more, and maybe by March Tangradi will be doing the same. The first game vs Boston last season our Pens roughed them up good, I remember several choice hits on Chara.

Our roster is plenty tough enough to stand toe-to-toe against Boston.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
He should NEVER fight and, unless it's sticking up for another player, he should avoid the scrums regardless of concussions.

Can't score goals in the penalty box.

JQR

Clearly it's Lovejoy
Jan 25, 2012
So then no to The Bubble? I really thought I had the answer there...

A few years ago I went to an Albany River Rats game with some friends for a birthday. My buddy and I did the hamster ball race during intermission. We had hit the bar pretty heavily before the game and the beer was flowing nicely up until that point.

I busted my ass at least 6 times. Suffice it to say, those bubbles don't do ****.

EDIT: Proof. DOES THIS LOOK SAFE TO YOU??!! I am in the far bubble. Pay close attention to the beginning of the race. I eventually end up crawling the rest of the way.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad